AVS Forum banner

Vizio VX37LHDTV10A burned out! Help!

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  7th Angel 
#1 ·
This morning my wife turned on our 5 year old Vizio VX37L and as soon as she pushed the button, there was a loud pop and fizzle sound and a bright flash from behind the screen.

The little orange Vizio emblem is still lit so I know its getting some power, but when I push the on button, the Vizio emblem lights up white for a few seconds and then turns back to orange and nothing ever shows up on the screen. I did open up the TV to check the fuse but it looks okay to me (its not glass tube, its a whiteish ceramic tube.) and like I mentioned, the logo still lights up.

I'm new to LCD technology and so I'm wondering if anyone can help point me in the right direction. I'm fairly handy so if its easy enough to replace myself then I will. But I'm not sure if it could be the power supply, backlight inverter, or some other board or issue.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated in advance.

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenshun /forum/post/0

This morning my wife turned on our 5 year old Vizio VX37L and as soon as she pushed the button, there was a loud pop and fizzle sound and a bright flash from behind the screen.

The little orange Vizio emblem is still lit so I know its getting some power, but when I push the on button, the Vizio emblem lights up white for a few seconds and then turns back to orange and nothing ever shows up on the screen. I did open up the TV to check the fuse but it looks okay to me (its not glass tube, its a whiteish ceramic tube.) and like I mentioned, the logo still lights up.

I'm new to LCD technology and so I'm wondering if anyone can help point me in the right direction. I'm fairly handy so if its easy enough to replace myself then I will. But I'm not sure if it could be the power supply, backlight inverter, or some other board or issue.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated in advance.

Can't say I know which circuit blew yet I know your pain. I have an 18 month Samsung 42 inch that I hadn't had on for a while and once did, it has sound yet no picture. In a dark room you can see a hint of a flickering like its trying to come on but can't... Yours sounds like something more catastrophic took place. And five years isn't bad for a Vizio - many would say that's the average lifespan of flat panels today but most of us expect more of course. Probably shouldn't say that too loud... My pioneer plasma turned 6 yrs old this spring..

Check on eBay for the common circuit boards being sold for that model, and google the same for common failures etc. Problem is however, if you end up having to take it to a repair shop for diagnosis/repair, it will cost you two thirds what you paid for it to fix. Might just be time to upgrade.

Good luck and cheers

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty /forum/post/21991452

... five years isn't bad for a Vizio - many would say that's the average lifespan of flat panels today but most of us expect more of course...

Five years is the average lifespan of flat panels? That's depressing!

I certainly hope that's only speculation and not based upon real case studies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.