AVS Forum banner

Mitsubishi: DEFECT in 2011 DLP Sets/fix

28K views 147 replies 34 participants last post by  thhowl 
#1 ·
Firmware 13.06, released 3/19/2012, appears to address this issue directly.

IOW, using 13.06 appears to do the same as turning 3D Checkerboard Mode ON without some of the side effects.

More testing in progress...

For now, use these pictures to see what you are missing

without 13.06 (or 13.05 with 3D Checkerboard ON)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP32 /forum/post/21531591

Still image of the red/white defect... on ESPN, via HD Cox Cable box, 720p signal...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeener71 /forum/post/21694606

Captain Taco,

I LOVE YOU!!!!

On my PC now, the text/fonts are clearer and sharp, the videos look better.

All by setting 3D mode with checkerboard. Why the heck didn't I ever try that!?!

Oh well I love this forum and right now, especially Captain of all Tacos!!!

Everyone, go do this now!

The defect. Sharpness at ZERO. Did you know Sharpness above 10 starts causing glowing edges? (Not shown here. The glowing edges you see here are different, and are the defect at work.)

With 3D Checkerboard ON - for a 2D picture. A clunky and dimmer workaround.

The normal picture with the defect. This is what you are seeing, though may not realize it. All sets have it.

With 3D Checkerboard ON - for a 2D picture. Boy does he look better. (Than the pic above, I mean.)

The normal picture with the defect. What you may not realize you are seeing on your set right now. All sets have the defect.

With 3D Checkerboard ON - for a 2D picture. A clunky and dimmer workaround. But boy does he look better.

This OP is Under Construction. I'll be right back..

We'll provide detailed information on the defect, and tips for testing and petitioning here sometime soon.[/size][/b]

Feel free to PM ideas for this OP. We can finish creating the OP *together*.

Introduction

This thread was started to help owners understand, test for, and workaround a technical issue that degrades picture quality in 2011 Mitsubishi DLP sets, including the $4,000-$5,000 WD-92840. (The issue does not exist in 2010 or 2009 models.)

More information can be found in the owner's threads:

The 2011 Mitsubishi DLP WD-73640 official thread , where:

The 2011 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (740/840 series)

We have high hopes that Mitsubishi will soon fix this issue with a Firmware update.

A couple of us (current known count is 3) have reported the issue to Mitsubishi, but each individual should contact the manufacturer directly to let them know you want this fixed.

This first post has two parts:

1. An educational overview of the defect, and why you may not even have noticed it.

2. Simply steps to test your set and demonstrate your workaround here. What YOU can do to add up enough complaints that Mitsubishi takes action and makes the TV go from "Good sometimes, with serious PQ problems in others" to AWESOME ALL THE TIME.

Overview of the defect.

For now, see the links into the owner's threads, provided above.

How To Help Spread the Word Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainTaco /forum/post/21691522

Quote:
Originally Posted by thhowl /forum/post/21690656

Vanishing Red Lines - A Mitsubishi Trick:
Haha, I was looking at these images on my 92840... I was like, "I don't see a difference, they all look terrible... oh wait..."

[...]

This just popped into my head, I wasn't paying too close of attention at the time, but I am pretty sure the problem [...] is actually being created from the "Smooth 120hz" as this is something you lose once you enter 3D mode if I am not mistaken.

See less See more
#103 ·
if you are doing the above procedure and the tv only blinks green for less than 1 minute then the tv is not reading the usb drive.

you may need to format or make sure all other files are removed.

try a standard brand usb drive like kingston.

#104 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperjohnMD /forum/post/21974982

if you are doing the above procedure and the tv only blinks green for less than 1 minute then the tv is not reading the usb drive.

you may need to format or make sure all other files are removed.

try a standard brand usb drive like kingston.

I've tried 2 different flash drives at this point. A Patriot drive which I formatted to fat32(non-quick format) and a sandisk one which I also formatted to fat32(non-quick format). Not sure which one I used to jump from .04 to .05, but it was definitely one of those two drives. So now I wait for the super special mitsubishi drive. I was surprised that they were against me upgrading to the newest firmware, "why are you upgrading the firmware". Geez, why release a firmware upgrade if there isn't a need for one?

#105 ·
eboy0, have you tried this?

0) Remove any USB drives from the TV

1) Plug in an active network cable to the back of the TV

2) Verify that it can access the Internet (through the TV's menus)

3) Set the date, time and time zone on the TV

4) Power off the TV with the remote, but leave the power cord plugged in.

5) Go do something else in your life for 30-45 minutes.

6) Turn the TV back, pull up the menu, and see what firmware it's now running.

Note - the firmware updates aren't cumulative - I can't recall exactly what version my TV came with, but I had to repeat the above steps 2-3 times before it was up-to-date.

#106 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah /forum/post/21975256

eboy0, have you tried this?

0) Remove any USB drives from the TV

1) Plug in an active network cable to the back of the TV

2) Verify that it can access the Internet (through the TV's menus)

3) Set the date, time and time zone on the TV

4) Power off the TV with the remote, but leave the power cord plugged in.

5) Go do something else in your life for 30-45 minutes.

6) Turn the TV back, pull up the menu, and see what firmware it's now running.

Note - the firmware updates aren't cumulative - I can't recall exactly what version my TV came with, but I had to repeat the above steps 2-3 times before it was up-to-date.

My TV doesn't have an ethernet port, update is done strictly on USB.

WD-73C11 is the model I own.

#107 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboy0 /forum/post/21975393

My TV doesn't have an ethernet port, update is done strictly on USB.

WD-73C11 is the model I own.

Ah. Just in case it matters for your set, have you verified that the date/time is accurate on it?

#108 ·
Got the mitsubishi flash drive in the mail today. Popped it in per the instructions, followed them to the letter. Same result. Flashes for about 30 seconds to a minute, then the LED goes out and doesn't do anything. Screen never comes back on.

Guess I scored a free 3gb flash drive out of it, however still can't update to 13.06

#110 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP /forum/post/22000039

Something is really wrong, first check to make sure you have a WD-73C11 and not a WD-73C10 and so forth.

Well it's definitely WD-73C11, says so on the sticker on the back of the TV. I even gave them the serial number when I called in. Will be calling back tomorrow, question is should I wait for a 13.07 firmware or have them bring in a tech?

#111 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboy0 /forum/post/0

Well it's definitely WD-73C11, says so on the sticker on the back of the TV. I even gave them the serial number when I called in. Will be calling back tomorrow, question is should I wait for a 13.07 firmware or have them bring in a tech?

Didn't know if you missed my previous post, so I'll ask again - did you make sure that your tv's date/time is set before you attempt to update the firmware?

#112 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah /forum/post/22000713

Didn't know if you missed my previous post, so I'll ask again - did you make sure that your tv's date/time is set before you attempt to update the firmware?

Sorry about that, completely forgot to add the quote. Yes, I set my date and time accurately, however once I go through the entire update procedure and turn the TV back on to find it still on 13.05, the date and time are reset back to 1/1/11 with 12PM. Could this be my issue, I'm not sure if these TVs have a battery to retain their settings?

#113 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboy0 /forum/post/22001206

Sorry about that, completely forgot to add the quote. Yes, I set my date and time accurately, however once I go through the entire update procedure and turn the TV back on to find it still on 13.05, the date and time are reset back to 1/1/11 with 12PM. Could this be my issue, I'm not sure if these TVs have a battery to retain their settings?

The TVs do not have back up for the clock. Most other settings do not require back up as they are supposed to be non-volatil. Do you have your TV power cord plugged into a switched outlet??.

#114 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboy0 /forum/post/21999927

Got the mitsubishi flash drive in the mail today. Popped it in per the instructions, followed them to the letter. Same result. Flashes for about 30 seconds to a minute, then the LED goes out and doesn't do anything. Screen never comes back on.

Guess I scored a free 3gb flash drive out of it, however still can't update to 13.06

Same here on a previous firmware and I needed a service repair with a new input board. FYI when you call Mitsubishi push 8 on your phone when the prompts come up to speak with a person in USA and that has really authority to get things done.

#115 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd /forum/post/22005235

Same here on a previous firmware and I needed a service repair with a new input board. FYI when you call Mitsubishi push 8 on your phone when the prompts come up to speak with a person in USA and that has really authority to get things done.
Thank you for the info, I'll most likely be calling them tomorrow. My only concern is they don't stiff me with a refub part, the TV is only 4 months old!

#116 ·
Called up Mitsubishi, they "think" it's an issue in the mainboard, I explained to them about the white halo effect I'm getting, they dismissed that entirely. However I was very stern about the TV not accepting firmware updates and said it was unexceptionable. They said that they will schedule an appointment for Sunday, a company called Bobby Jones Electronics will be coming to "service" the TV. Shortly after the call, I googled the name and my stomach just sank. If they screw something up, heads will roll.

#117 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboy0 /forum/post/22007367

Called up Mitsubishi, they "think" it's an issue in the mainboard, I explained to them about the white halo effect I'm getting, they dismissed that entirely. However I was very stern about the TV not accepting firmware updates and said it was unexceptionable. They said that they will schedule an appointment for Sunday, a company called Bobby Jones Electronics will be coming to "service" the TV. Shortly after the call, I googled the name and my stomach just sank. If they screw something up, heads will roll.

Man based on those reviews, If I were you I wouldn't let Bobby Jones Elec near my TV. Call mitsu back and refer them to that page with the bad reviews. Tell them you want another company to service your TV.

#118 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96hondaex /forum/post/22010112

Man based on those reviews, If I were you I wouldn't let Bobby Jones Elec near my TV. Call mitsu back and refer them to that page with the bad reviews. Tell them you want another company to service your TV.

That's exactly what I did, AFTER I got a voicemail from this bobby electronics place, the guy sounded like he didn't even know what a TV was to be honest. He was pausing and hesitating as if he was reading off a script, I work in tech support and believe me, sounding like you have no idea about the product isn't very convincing to the person who requires assistance. So I called up mitsubishi and pretty much told them that, I said I'm not letting them touch my 1000$ investment as based on the reviews on BBB and the convincing voicemail, you don't take your Mercedez to a hole in the wall mechanic, do you? Mitsubhishi cancelled my appointment and I got a call from a UniqueRepair shortly after, they are rated A in BBB and actually sounded like they knew what they were talking about, and I was speaking to receptionist and she knew about the WD-73c11 model that I own! Feel much better now.

#119 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96hondaex /forum/post/22010112

good god. those horrendous reviews go all the way back to 2005. how in the hell does a small business provide not just bad service, but negative service, for seven years, without going under? it boggles the mind.

#120 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboy0 /forum/post/22007367

I advocated a (long time ago as far as threads/pages)... to research the local authorized repair shops and CHOOSE the one they send you.

I had a complete idiot when I allowed Mits to choose back when I was trying to get the color bug fixed. You gotta pick your own, and as long as they're 'authorized' then it won't be a problem at all.

For the record, the cynic in me believes companies like Mits put the idiots high on their list... because they'll just do as told, unscrew whatever screw the manual tells them, and that's it. The intelligent service repair guys will speak with you, figure out problems, and arm you with the knowledge you need to get actual problems solved. And that's not something the big company really relishes, I'm sure.

Here's my cautionary tale. The Mits suggested service guy came, barely spoke english, had an older 'assistant' who spoke no english. I showed him the defect, he saw it. Ordered a new main board. Time came to put the new main board in, problem not solved. Service tech still saw the problem, yet refused to say so in his report/receipt-thing, so I had to refuse signature. Before that, he refused to update the new main board's firmware, even though the firmware version on the 'new' main board was older then the one that was originally on the set to begin with. During the process of looking at the problem after switching the main board, this service tech had such words of wisdom as "They won't fix it", 'Mitsubishi has bad record for TV -- get something else", "I'm not genius, I can't fix", etc.

That's why it's important to find your own Service company. The people I found were very courteous, willing to discuss the problem, willing to call Mits higher-ups and work out fixes, etc. Speaking the same language as me was certainly a nice perk. Night and day difference.

* I realize that you're set now --- making a point for future thread lurkers.

#121 ·
hi all. i have updated my 640 before..but sense I have upgraded my laptop; tried to download i keep on getting. failed attempt do to something about " Change the association in your preferences" can any explain..?

#122 ·
forget it, sometimes i'm to stupid for my own good. just change web browser download successful and on thumb drive ready for updating. oops i realized that i extracted to a sd card...OK. now on thumb drive an tv is doing it thing now.... an BINGO !! 13.06 is listed on the menu ....

#123 ·
Does this defect apply to the A94 LaserVue? And is the 13.06 firmware version compatible with it?

Under downloads section on the Mitsu site for the A94, the 13.03 version as listed as being the most up to date. I don't want to brick my brand new TV with firmware that's not compatible.

Thanks!

#124 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLou /forum/post/22071185

Does this defect apply to the A94 LaserVue? And is the 13.06 firmware version compatible with it?

Under downloads section on the Mitsu site for the A94, the 13.03 version as listed as being the most up to date. I don't want to brick my brand new TV with firmware that's not compatible.

Thanks!

I dunno on the defect with your TV. But I do know you definitely do not want to update your TV with a firmware not listed as being compatible with your TV. If the 13.03 is listed by Mits as being the most recent, then just stick with that.

The defect some people had with their TV's in this thread can be very easy to see. All the pertinent info can be found in the 1st page.

#125 ·
I know this has probably been covered, but I missed it. Can someone send me the mitsu 13.06 update in a zip file. I have been trying for weeks, but it comes back as a utv file with an adobe association that is not a zip file. Can't open it. Can't fix it. Can't use it and almost ready to quit even trying. I must have missed something some where. Thanks for any info you can give me.

#126 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinitro /forum/post/22090426

I know this has probably been covered, but I missed it. Can someone send me the mitsu 13.06 update in a zip file. I have been trying for weeks, but it comes back as a utv file with an adobe association that is not a zip file. Can't open it. Can't fix it. Can't use it and almost ready to quit even trying. I must have missed something some where. Thanks for any info you can give me.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post22029434

#127 ·
Forgot to update this thread.

Basically, the repair company showed up, very professional and prompt. Tech seemed to be very knowledged in TVs and answered all my questions.

He told me basically, the reason why my TV wouldn't take the 13.06 update was due to the memory being full. I told him about the flashing green LED I received a month or so ago, and he ordered me up a mainboard.

2 days before they called me to install the mainboard, I received the flashing green LED again, coincidence right?

Tech came, I showed him the flashing green LED thing, he replaced the mainboard, TV turned on normally, running 13.06 firmware.

So all in all I'm happy, since the TV is under warranty. I'd really hate for this thing to crap out with the mainboard after the warranty expires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.