AVS Forum banner

JBL Pro speakers advice wanted

23K views 113 replies 31 participants last post by  Mfusick 
#1 ·
I know this is probably not the right forum for this but I know a lot you guys who post here know a lot about the JBL pro speakers so I thought I would post it here as well.

What do you think of using the 4632 M/HF and 4639's for mains in a room that is going to be 17x25x10? I was originally going to go with new 3732's up front but I found a pretty good deal on some used 4632's and 4639's. I am just concerned they may not be the best speakers for my room.

I can get (3) 4632's and (3) 4639's along with (8) 8333's shipped to me for about $4,500. Do you think this is a good deal? Should I just buy new ones instead of taking a chance on used speakers? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
Yea I know MKTheater has said of the 3 JBL pro's in his theater, the biggest ones sounded the best. I was pretty set on the 3732's but I am just concerned stepping up to the 4732's might be too much.

It would cost me about $6,000 for (3) new 3732's or I could get (3) 4632's for $4500 plus (8) 8333's. I really don't need the 8333's since I already bought (10) 8330's from Erich H but I can always sell them. Does that sound like a fair price?

#5 ·
Are the 4632's with the double midsections? I will assume those are the bottoms that come with them? Which drivers are they?

#6 ·
You can get 4722N's for about 1100 a piece. I'm running two of these and a 3677 for the center due to space limitations. The 3677 was only 550.

I wouldn't go with the tall ones in such a small room as you're increasing c-t-c distance of the drivers by too much.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt /forum/post/0

You can get 4722N's for about 1100 a piece. I'm running two of these and a 3677 for the center due to space limitations. The 3677 was only 550.

I wouldn't go with the tall ones in such a small room as you're increasing c-t-c distance of the drivers by too much.

I agree, the 4722N's would be the best bet for most and it is passive for a simple setup. The 3731's are the next step but become more complicated to setup as they are bi or triamped.

#68 ·
Quote:Originally Posted by notnyt

.......I wouldn't go with the tall ones in such a small room as you're increasing c-t-c distance of the drivers by too much.
I agree, the 4722N's would be the best bet for most and it is passive for a simple setup. The 3731's are the next step but become more complicated to setup as they are bi or triamped.
I'm sure the 3731's are supposed to be higher performance, but I'd have 2 questions about their designs...

1. Has anyone A/B-compared bi-amped or tri-amped speakers to single-amped?
I know the theoretical differences are solid, but I'd like to hear from real experiences.

One reason I ask is that my current speakers are KRK 10-3's, which are powered mid-field studio monitors.
They are tri-amped (with active crossovers, I think) and I'd be concerned that swapping them out with 4722's or 3677's would actually be a step backwards, in this respect!

2. One thing that really attracts me to speakers like these JBL's, is that huge wall of sound that only large diaphragms and horns seem to be able to produce.
With 3-way speakers like the 3731's, I wonder if you actually end up with a smaller sound, as so much of the midrange would be coming out of the much smaller mid-range drivers (which look around 5") ?

:confused:

#8 ·
I was planning on using crown dsi amps and they have jbl presets already programmed in so that would not be an issue.

If you had a choice in that size room you think the 4722's would be a better fit than the 3732's, 3731's and the 4632's?

#9 ·
I went with the 4722's in my room, love them. This is with Audyssey pulling down the top end, and the mic I used here isn't that accurate above 10khz. You need a larger distance from the speakers for the taller ones to sound right. They're designed for large auditoriums.

#67 ·
Minimum seating distance?

I went with the 4722's in my room, love them. This is with Audyssey pulling down the top end, and the mic I used here isn't that accurate above 10khz. You need a larger distance from the speakers for the taller ones to sound right. They're designed for large auditoriums.
Is there a minimum recommended seating distance with the 4722's or the 3677's ?

I've looked around but haven't found any figures for this yet...

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt /forum/post/22019055

Such an awesome setup you have notnyt.

You are using your receiver to power them, aren't you? They are the passive version, right?

I have no doubt they would sound good in my room. I just keep going back to MK's review when he went from the 3722's to the 3731's. I admit that the 4632's are too big, but I am stuck thinking the smaller 3731's might be better than the 4722's.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnu008 /forum/post/22019092

Such an awesome setup you have notnyt.

You are using your receiver to power them, aren't you? They are the passive version, right?

I have no doubt they would sound good in my room. I just keep going back to MK's review when he went from the 3722's to the 3731's. I admit that the 4632's are too big, but I am stuck thinking the smaller 3731's might be better than the 4722's.

The issue with the 3731 is the center to center spacing on the drivers. I power the 4722N's with my receiver. This allows me to reduce the number of devices in the signal chain, and my receiver can put out 170wrms, which is more than enough for these in a home environment. They are ridiculously sensitive and very flat. I auditioned a bunch of the other ones and ended up with the 4722. My advice is to listen to them in a controlled environment and see which you like. I already explained the possible issues with the ones you're looking at, but if they sound better to you, that's all that matters. MK cycles through speakers faster than anyone I've ever seen

#12 ·
like 'not suggested, those may not be the best speaks for your room, as they were designed for large theaters where the seating distances are 30 feet+ and at such distances the different distance to each driver is minimal, so all the wavefronts combined, more or less how they are supposed to. at only 12 feet back from the speakers, the distance to each speaker will be significant and so there may be some weird combing effects in the frequency response because of the large driver spacing.

edit: it is sometimes difficult as we are all updating/posting at the same time.

'not. what is your next step? gear out of sight and a bigger screen?

mockup of the evolution. :)

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnu008 /forum/post/22018651

Yea I know MKTheater has said of the 3 JBL pro's in his theater, the biggest ones sounded the best.

Read his full speaker test review. For a lot less than the price of JBLs you can have built for you the winner of his impromptu, but very thorough, competition.

#14 ·
I went from the 3622N 's to the 3731(clone). Remember JBL switched the CD in the 7 series for the top end and it is better! That is why I liked it better. Put together a 4722N top with dual 2226's and it does not get much better. A straight 4722N is very close to the combo I mentioned. The 3731's use that HF section and a single 2226 but also adds the dual 6.5 inch horn loaded Mid section. I had 4675c's from 13 feet and it sound great! Overall the 4675c's were the best but the HF section of the 3731(same as the 4722) extends higher. The 4675c's sound so big it is ridiculous! They are enormous though! I would stick with the 4722 or 3731 for size.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice /forum/post/22019179

Read his full speaker test review. For a lot less than the price of JBLs you can have built for you the winner of his impromptu, but very thorough, competition.

No self promotion here at all. He also didn't test against JBL's, and many people want fronts that are flat down to below 200hz, unlike the DR200s. I also wouldn't call that very thorough, no offense to MK at all, but he compared a pair of horn loaded drivers to single full range direct radiators, none of which I would consider very good.

$0.02

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/22019143

like 'not suggested, those may not be the best speaks for your room, as they were designed for large theaters where the seating distances are 30 feet+ and at such distances the different distance to each driver is minimal, so all the wavefronts combined, more or less how they are supposed to. at only 12 feet back from the speakers, the distance to each speaker will be significant and so there may be some weird combing effects in the frequency response because of the large driver spacing.

edit: it is sometimes difficult as we are all updating/posting at the same time.

'not. what is your next step? gear out of sight and a bigger screen?

mockup of the evolution. :)

Hah, nice mockup
The screen is already a 10' screen, any larger and it would be kind of uncomfortable to watch at the distance my seating is at. The speakers just make it look really small. It's currently pushed right up against the ceiling also. Your mockup pushed it higher
The wall you see sticking down is actually the header that runs directly behind where my seats are. I have the projector mounted there, so it can't go back any further either.

I have some small changes coming that I can't really talk about yet. When I can, AVS will be the first to see

#18 ·
Thanks for all the replies. It is just what I needed to make the right decision. Deep down I know they are too big for my room and was trying to justify it. The 4722's should be great for me and I am sure all the headroom I need. Thanks again for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaslast /forum/post/22019331

Not point me in the direction (PM or whatev) where to get 4722N for $1100, all i can find is $1739 online.

I would love to know as well.

#19 ·
"Hah, nice mockup"

i've thrown a 10 footer (16x9) on my wall 'not and that was almost a decade ago, but you are on the leading edge. i just figured that you would be headed for a "HIMAX"...Home-theater-based IMAX. :) maybe something like 20 foot diag with 2.35:1 and some parabolic rounding on the screen's horizontal profile (not to scale in the pic, just cooking ideas on the back of the envelope). you know that you are going to end up there... :) i was just prognosticating...

"The 4722's should be great for me and I am sure all the headroom I need. Thanks again for the replies."

definitely...if you are planning to cross them at 80hz or higher. they are the right kind of total overkill for a home theater.

edit: the pic is only 12 feet diam scaled. the combination of the larger corner to corner and the reduced dimensions (16:9 to 2.35:1) makes the screen look much more enveloping.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/22019375

"Hah, nice mockup"

i've thrown a 10 footer on my wall 'not and that was almost a decade ago, but you are on the leading edge. i just figured that you would be headed for a "HIMAX"...Home-theater-based IMAX. :) maybe something like 20 foot diag with 2.35:1 and some parabolic rounding on the screen's horizontal profile. you know that you are going to end up there... :) i was just prognosticating...

I've thought about it
I shot the projector at the wall with a couch there before building the screen and picked the size that would be good. Any lower and there are issues when reclining =] Very important haha. 2.35:1 was also a consideration. That would be kind of epic, but going a/t screen is more trouble than its worth, and I prefer not to have to turn my head while watching stuff
At only like 12' away, a 10' screen is pretty big

As for JBL hookup, this is where I got all of mine. Call up for a price quote, it's much cheaper than the MSRP listed online.

Quote:
Zach Craigle

Performance Audio

2456 South West Temple

Salt Lake City, UT 84115

USA

Phone: 800.771.8330 / 801.466.3196 x 153

Fax: 801.484.1538

Email: zcraigle at performanceaudio.com

Web: http://www.performanceaudio.com

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt /forum/post/22019247

No self promotion here at all. He also didn't test against JBL's, and many people want fronts that are flat down to below 200hz, unlike the DR200s. I also wouldn't call that very thorough, no offense to MK at all, but he compared a pair of horn loaded drivers to single full range direct radiators, none of which I would consider very good.

$0.02

I compared eD cinema 12's with the DE-250 and 3012Ho woofer which is an awesome speaker as well as the Triple 8LP's. Without a head to head there are things that will be obvious to me. The JBL pro's will sound bigger and have much more midbass impact! The DR's have more dynamic slam and HF clarity and extension. Crossing over my subs to 100hz is all that was needed to get the best of both worlds. The DR's almost sound as big but not quite. I was not going to bring this up since the OP asked for JBL pro speakers which I still like.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater /forum/post/22020293

I compared eD cinema 12's with the DE-250 and 3012Ho woofer which is an awesome speaker as well as the Triple 8LP's. Without a head to head there are things that will be obvious to me. The JBL pro's will sound bigger and have much more midbass impact! The DR's have more dynamic slam and HF clarity and extension. Crossing over my subs to 100hz is all that was needed to get the best of both worlds. The DR's almost sound as big but not quite. I was not going to bring this up since the OP asked for JBL pro speakers which I still like.

Ah, I thought you were running the 200s for some reason with T39s under them. Still, not exactly a fair comparison as triple 8's and the ed12 don't have very much displacement. Comparing them to something like a DR250 with massive efficiency and proper directivity control, obviously the DR250s will win because they're simply better. But again, it wasn't a JBL vs DR250 comparison, so I don't see what purpose it had in a JBL Pro thread, hence my previous reply.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt /forum/post/22019801

Yep. I'm surprised more people don't go that route with how cheap the stuff can be gotten. I guess it's too big for most. *shrug* not my problem

Another option that takes up a little less space is the AE series like the discontinued AM6215/95.
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/379339.html

I actually prefer the aluminum phragm in the 2431 vs. the Ti in the 2432 which is used in the 4722 and AM7215.

Now if I could find some 2451SL's at a reasonable price....

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt /forum/post/22020490

Ah, I thought you were running the 200s for some reason with T39s under them. Still, not exactly a fair comparison as triple 8's and the ed12 don't have very much displacement. Comparing them to something like a DR250 with massive efficiency and proper directivity control, obviously the DR250s will win because they're simply better. But again, it wasn't a JBL vs DR250 comparison, so I don't see what purpose it had in a JBL Pro thread, hence my previous reply.

I agree, The op wants JBL pro and I won't steer him away from them because they are that good! It is a simple solution but the draw back is size. The eD and Triple 8 can both play almost 130 dbs like the DR's so I thought the comparison would be perfect because they all drop off around 80hz in room. My Dr drops off earlier but still has enough displacement for a 80hz crossover. Still, not including DR's which is basically a DIY speaker I would take JBL pro speakers over everything else as commercial speakers are concerned. I know people say their ribbons are the best but none of them except maybe the big line arrays can play loud enough for a proper cinema experience. BTW, for anyone who wants to know, the 2-way and 3731's from JBL pro can play within 11 feet of the listener per JBL's pro rep. The 3731 is not even a cinema speaker, it is a post production speaker they use for mixing. It is that good! If I got the itch to change speakers again I would probably get JBL's 4722N's but my DR's are much smaller(width) and can be stacked like a line array which I will try out for the first time as my center channel.

OP, you will not be dissapointed with these JBL speakers but for the used price and since you have surrounds already even 4722N's at $1500 each is a better value because they are new and the same price as the used speakers. BTW, performance audio is who I used as well, they will discount for a big order so their list price is not the actual price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.