AVS Forum banner

The X Factor on FOX HD

47K views 939 replies 74 participants last post by  skyehill 
#1 ·
Didn't see a topic for this, so might as well start one. Today the final judge was named, and it's familiar to fans of Idol:

Judges/Mentors:

LA Reid

Simon Cowell

Cheryl Cole

Paula Abdul

Co-hosts: Nicole Scherzinger and Steve Jones(British)

Season one of the US version begins September 2011 with both Cheryl and Simon leaving the British version to be judges and mentors on the US show.

Live Auditions begin shooting in LA May 8th, 2011. The winner will receive a recording contract in addition to 5 million dollars paid out over 5 years.

Format rumored to follow the UK and Aussie versions:

(1) Audition round to cut the contestants down to a couple hundred

(2) Bootcamp round similar to American Idol's Hollywood Week meant to reduce the numer of finalists to 24-32. The 32 will be comprised of 4 groups. One group of women 25 and younger. One group of men 25 and younger. One group for group acts. And finally one group consisting of artists over the age of 25.

(3) Judges Home round. Producers of the show assign one of the four groups to one judge. Those 6 (or 8) artists go to the Mentor's home and sing one last time. The mentor is accompanied by a famous artist to help the mentor decide which 3 artists to move along to the live round for a total of 12 finalists, plus 4 wildcards.

(4) Live round. The mentors chosen finalists have their songs picked by their mentor as well as receive advice on staging etc. America will vote each week, and the person or group with the lowest number of votes is gone on results night. The two lowest vote getters after that sing-off and the judges decide who goes home. If they stalemate, the vote tally is used to decide. The automatic kick appears to only apply in weeks 1 and 2, and then in the round immediately prior to the semi-final round.

Similar to American Idol, the UK version of X Factor has had issues with calculated efforts by voters to keep the worst artist(s) alive for as long as possible.

See less See more
#702 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M /forum/post/21776715

Lakoda Raine (sp.?) and that black group sounded bad, so if they had piped in vocals, it sure didn't help them, did it? Pretty irrelevant point about the show considering the groups were irrelevant.

It's merely relevant in the grander view of the show being a complete farce. Trumped-up audience reactions, fake singing, ugly "banter" between mentors, mentors that dont mentor etc etc. It's starting to look like Steve was done a favor by being fired off this trainwreck.

#703 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M /forum/post/21776715

Pretty irrelevant point about the show considering the groups were irrelevant.

Not referring to this past season per se I like including groups. They have won in the UK edition and I find it refreshing to have some variety. The same with other styles of singing they may not be my thing however the diversity adds more than it takes away.

#704 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R /forum/post/21776930

Not referring to this past season per se I like including groups. They have won in the UK edition and I find it refreshing to have some variety. The same with other styles of singing they may not be my thing however the diversity adds more than it takes away.

One of the groups from the UK show will be the musical guest on the next new SNL in April.

#705 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R /forum/post/21776930

I don't mind the idea of the groups. I actually thought InTENsity was decent considering they were newly formed, but they didn't get much of a chance. But last year the groups were definitely irrelevant thanks to the voters and poor singing.

#706 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M /forum/post/21777229

But last year the groups were definitely irrelevant thanks to the voters and poor singing.

I think it will take time for momentum to kick in for the groups. I know nothing about the singing scene but it appears groups have pretty much fallen by the wayside (as far as mainstream goes) compared to what it was when I was young. Now with some exposure the talented may start to lean that way and invest the time. Also, I think they need to market them a little differently than the solo acts... either play up the lead singer or spend additional time highlighting the various members.

#707 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M /forum/post/21777229

I don't mind the idea of the groups. I actually thought InTENsity was decent considering they were newly formed, but they didn't get much of a chance. But last year the groups were definitely irrelevant thanks to the voters and poor singing.

But Simon said the black guy group was literally "the best band in the world". Yep. The best. band. in. the. world. Simons knows music, right?

#708 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M /forum/post/21775189

I didn't notice the lipsynching you are referring to. The only "not live" audio that I remember was at the mentor's "houses."
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill /forum/post/21775478

I was referring to the groups that were singing-off and on numerous occasions their mics weren't even at their mouths. The entertainment press started pointing this out so Simon and his other producers countered by putting some backup singers around the stage.

I think this is the clip - watch their microphones at the 0:23 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG9fdj42Tkc

#710 ·
Fergie issued a press release that she has declined.

Britney's negotiations are reportedly "pretty much dead". Brit had been holding out for a bigger payday than the $10 million they reportedly offered her. The other sticking point is producers were apparently looking for a two-year commitment while Spears was reportedly looking for an out after one year.

They probably threw the budget at Rihanna to sign her, and will fill the 4th spot with that "very famous actress" that Cowell was hinting at to the press a couple weeks ago.

#713 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M /forum/post/21837262

Do you have a reputable source for this info? The Spears hire was supposedly a done deal too. Until Simon comes out with an announcement, I'm highly skeptical.

Huffpo by way of the black equivalent of TMZ called Mediatakeout.com. Could be BS, but if not she's a good hire. She's current, she's popular, and she'll get young people to watch. Doesn't fix the million other problems with the show though.

#714 ·
While this whole hiring process might seem like a mess, I think it is rather smart to do it this way. Instead of using a search firm, casting agency, or whatever it would be called, they are making use of the publicity afforded by all of these rumors. Anyone who might be interested in the job should know about it by now. With several to choose from, it puts them in a position of not having to overpay like American Idol did. And while it is unlikely, they might actually end up with mentors who will help to make the show better over the long term with rising ratings.

#715 ·
News is circulating that Britney Spears is once again the leading contender to fill one of the two open seats. She can't sing worth a damn, but who knows about her personality? I think the only time I've seen her speak was in an interview about politics in which she came across as a complete moron. One of the sites reporting this is also saying that her boyfriend has to be part of the deal or she wont sign. Take that all with a grain of salt. Yummy delicious salt.

#718 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca /forum/post/21981100

Latest reports have Britney Spears as a lock for one spot, and Demi Lovato for the other. Looks like I'll have to stick with the Voice in the fall, as I really don't want to watch two of these types of shows at once.

Wow, what a crapfest if true. It'd pretty sad what Simon's show here and the UK has been reduced to.

#719 ·
You can never tell how some of these people will be articulating their thoughts on a live show, but from a legitimacy standpoint, I guess I can see how Britney fits in. Although her voice has been pre-recorded and synthesized for at least the last decade, she has sold a bajillion albums.

The Lovato thing really baffles me though. How on earth can a 19 year old girl with a history of mental instability be a good mentor? Maybe she should get the "over 30' group just for a trainwreck type of thing. I mean, can you imagine a 19 year old girl with a history of eating disorders, cutting, and violent outbursts trying to tell a 60 year old Leroy Bell how to do it?

Clearly Simon is trying to skew young, but honestly, this is eye-rollingly bad, if true.

#722 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill /forum/post/22022850

It's official, Simon has found the bottom of the barrel. Brit and Demi are the new judges. No word on host yet.

Waitasecond. I keep seeing the word "judges" rather than "mentors." Does that mean they are abandoning the mentor/team aspect? Certainly these choices are more feasible if that is the case. It doesn't mean I like them though.

#725 ·
I am really leaning toward just sticking with "The Voice" from here on .. the choice of Lovato and Spears, although I may be wrong, is just ridiculous ..

Simon and L.A. will roll over these two like a couple bulldozers .. and maybe that's what Simon wants, I don't know .. why not just put a couple cardboard cutouts in the chairs .. ??

To me, it's a ratings grab .. and yes, I know that's what it is with any show these days ..

However, any shred of a legit competion from this point on seems to have flown out the window ..

#726 ·
I find it silly to actually believe any mentoring goes on with any of these shows. Outside a rare occasion it's virtually non-existant. Heck even most of the off the cuff advice thrown their way is often discarded. And in a lot of the cases the mentor eventually states the contestant was dead right...

Regarding this young gal (never heard of her) I'm sure a lot of the contestants will be able to relate to her much like the young demographics I'm sure they are going after.

Also, I strongly believe you learn from everyone around you. Not in an obvious mentoring way rather by being exposed to life's aspects. As such you don't need a life coach with fifty years of experience to teach you to how to tie your shoes. Rather you need to be exposed to what life has to offer... the good and bad. Only then you'll have a chance to define your own path. It's not like these bad souls are going to kidnap young kids and lock them in their basement until they perform as instructed.

My guess is the complete mentoring experience is looked back as... I once meet x.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.