AVS Forum banner
480K views 4K replies 631 participants last post by  cyberbri 
#1 ·
My 3, 340SE's are here (central California).

The only indication of an "SE" is an oval sticker on the back that says "Signature Edition". I'm home for lunch so no time to plug 'em in yet.

See less See more
#3,107 ·
Oz,

I'm only now starting my research but just yesterday I demo'd the HSU's at thier showroom and was very impressed.

Ascend's are more expensive but does their performance justify the difference? The HSU's also get great reviews, if they are comparable I may pick them up.

It's not easy finding comparisons online nor is it easy to do locally.

Thanks,

Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar /forum/post/21966328

Hello, fellow Ascend Acoustics owners!

I've just purchased a pair of CMT340 SE speakers for mains, another CMT340 for center channel, and two pairs of CBM170 speakers for surrounds. After doing some research, I chose these over the Arx, Hsu, and SVS options, so hope that it was a good choice. Unfortunately, I am not in a situation where I can listen to each of the options, so had to go on professional reviews and the personal experience posted by others. I already have a pair of Hsu VTF-2 MK4 Subwoofers that I believe they will blend in with very well. These speakers will be replacing some Polk Monitor 60's and 30's, which will be moved to a system in another room.

Don't know when they will ship, but will report back after they've arrived and I've played around with them a bit.

#3,108 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew888 /forum/post/21984727

Ascend's are more expensive but does their performance justify the difference? The HSU's also get great reviews, if they are comparable I may pick them up.

Hi, Drew

Right... speakers have been by far the hardest component to fulfill, or at least that's true with my own home theater system.

Having never heard the Hsu speakers, I don't know how they compare to the Ascends. In fact, I've not heard the Ascends yet, either. They are due for delivery later this afternoon, so I'll get to hear them at some point this evening provided I don't run into any issues. The cost for the shipped Ascends came out to be $1 more than it would have been for the Hsu speakers. That said, I have a strong feeling that I would have liked the Hsu speakers and may end up purchasing them anyway at some point down the line, especially if the Ascends don't satisfy my craving for good sound.

Good luck to you with whatever you end up purchasing!

#3,109 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew888 /forum/post/21984727

Oz,

I'm only now starting my research but just yesterday I demo'd the HSU's at thier showroom and was very impressed.

Thanks,

Drew

Well, you are in SoCal as is Ascend...but which Ascends do you think compare to the single model of Hsu? Maybe the 170SE...

Don't both offer a guarantee such that you could do an A/B in home (the best place to compare) and return the one that loses the competition?

#3,112 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastgt79 /forum/post/0

I am interested in the ascend cmt-340. How do they compare to B&W or PSB speakers? I am looking for good soundstage, separation, dynamic and clarity like the B&W cm series or are they in different leagues?

I posted in your other thread.

I think you will be amazed at the 340 compared to the CM1 and the cost difference.

#3,113 ·
I need help. I have cmt340se's L/C/R and cbm170se's in the rear. I don't have room for anything other than in-wall for side surround because of a knee wall and an aisle. I want a 7.1 set-up and am using the rythmic sub-15".

I'd like to stay around $300 or so for the pair.

The room is 28 x 23 x 10.

Do I need to worry much about trying to match the side surrounds? or am I over thinking this?

#3,114 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougl99 /forum/post/0

I need help. I have cmt340se's L/C/R and cbm170se's in the rear. I don't have room for anything other than in-wall for side surround because of a knee wall and an aisle. I want a 7.1 set-up and am using the rythmic sub-15".

I'd like to stay around $300 or so for the pair.

The room is 28 x 23 x 10.

Do I need to worry much about trying to match the side surrounds? or am I over thinking this?

I think you'll be fine going unmatched. Others may disagree, but I have unmatched surrounds and have never once thought about it. They are your ears and its your happiness. Do what makes you and your ears happy.

#3,116 ·
While I don't think having matched surrounds is essential, I do feel that once you do have match surrounds, you wouldn't want to have it any other way.

If you can't use the HTM-200SE to mount on wall, I would give Ascend a call, as I am sure they get asked this same question often.

#3,117 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/22030803

While I don't think having matched surrounds is essential, I do feel that once you do have match surrounds, you wouldn't want to have it any other way.

That's exactly how I feel about the matter. Having lived with both options, I'll confirm that the surrounds are indeed the least critical in terms of timbre-matching, both amongst one another and with the front speaker, and that you can have quite a satisfying experience with just about any decent surround speaker. That said, once I started using a fully timbre-matched system, it sure didn't take me long to appreciate how seamless the whole sound field became. I used to notice my surround speakers more, but now I just experience the effect transparently--like a well-integrated subwoofer (which took me nearly forever to achieve in my HT, with numerous failed attempts), you don't notice that the speaker or channels are working, you just hear what you're supposed to hear.

When you're caught up in a movie the effect is perhaps more subtle than I'm making it out to be, but for critical listening (especially with multichannel music and how certain movies utilize the surround channels) it is surprisingly noticeable, and as cschang said, I wouldn't want to have it any other way (if I could help it). This doesn't stop me from recommending non-timbre-matched surrounds in certain cases, especially for those who would otherwise have to skimp on the quality of their front speakers due to budget considerations, but in my opinion striving for a fully timber-matched system (or close enough, anyway) is a worthwhile consideration--not the be-all-end-all, or even necessary, but still a goal to be weighed against other trade-offs.

#3,118 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/22030803

If you can't use the HTM-200SE to mount on wall, I would give Ascend a call, as I am sure they get asked this same question often.

I went to Ascend before I posted here. No real help. Their response below.

The only in-wall speaker company I know of would be Sonance. You can

look them up online. Good luck!

Even the HTM200 would be a problem. To match the height of the speaker on the Knee wall side of the room, it would be about shoulder height...on an aisle in a dark room.

Any suggestions in the $300 a pair range that might be close to matched....even though it doesn't matter. Thanks.

#3,119 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougl99 /forum/post/22031364

Even the HTM200 would be a problem. To match the height of the speaker on the Knee wall side of the room, it would be about shoulder height...on an aisle in a dark room.

Any suggestions in the $300 a pair range that might be close to matched....even though it doesn't matter. Thanks.

Have a look at this thread:
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=720

#3,120 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougl99 /forum/post/22031364

Why not just put the HTM200's in the wall to keep your shoulders/knees from knocking into 'em?

#3,123 ·

Quote:

Hello, fellow Ascend Acoustics owners!

I've just purchased a pair of CMT340 SE speakers for mains, another CMT340 for center channel, and two pairs of CBM170 speakers for surrounds. After doing some research, I chose these over the Arx, Hsu, and SVS options, so hope that it was a good choice. Unfortunately, I am not in a situation where I can listen to each of the options, so had to go on professional reviews and the personal experience posted by others. I already have a pair of Hsu VTF-2 MK4 Subwoofers that I believe they will blend in with very well. These speakers will be replacing some Polk Monitor 60's and 30's, which will be moved to a system in another room.

Don't know when they will ship, but will report back after they've arrived and I've played around with them a bit.

Have you had a chance to set up the speakers and give them a listen? Inquiring minds want to know.

#3,125 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38 /forum/post/22031929

right now i am using the 340SE's (LCR) and 170SE's as surrounds

what do u guys think if i buy another set of 340SE's ,replace the 170SE's with them and move the 170's to back surrounds?

so i am going from 5.1 to 7.1

i am also using an Outlaw LFM-1 EX

What do u think?

I think you need another sub, too !

#3,127 ·

Quote:

Update regarding my choice of speakers as noted above:

I've been playing around with the Ascend Acoustics speakers for 3 weeks now and do like them very much. However, I didn't get the huge boost in performance that I was expecting, especially considering that these speakers were just under 3 times as expensive (costs + shipping) as was the Polk setup described above (costs + shipping). Still, I'm keeping these and will put the Polks in another room as originally planned.

Sometimes, I don't notice improvements in performance as easily as I notice degradation in performance, so some day when I get some spare time, I might hook the Polks back up to this system and see if the performance drop is more noticeable to me.

Thanks to all for the earlier comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpoet25 /forum/post/22031601

Have you had a chance to set up the speakers and give them a listen? Inquiring minds want to know.

Hello, darkpoet

Yes, my thoughts have now been noted above.

#3,128 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar /forum/post/22066628

I've been playing around with the Ascend Acoustics speakers for 3 weeks now and do like them very much. However, I didn't get the huge boost in performance that I was expecting, especially considering that these speakers were just under 3 times as expensive (costs + shipping) as was the Polk setup described above (costs + shipping). Still, I'm keeping these and will put the Polks in another room as originally planned.

It depends on what you're listening for and also what you're listening to. In addition, these two speaker series share some of the same strengths, such as making details in the recordings stand out. It's not that they sound the same, because they certainly do not, but where they differ mostly concerns accuracy, and there is no universal rule that says that more accurate reproduction always clearly sounds better. Now, if the Polks were SO inaccurate that they grotesquely distorted the audio, then yes, the improvement would slap you in the face, but in my opinion the Polk Monitor series is pretty solid and sounds pretty good, despite the lack of respect it seems to get.

Since you've decided to keep them, give the Ascends and yourself more time to get better acquainted. Play some well-recorded material and compare it to what real voices and instruments sound like. Admittedly, you have to be pretty picky--even nitpicky--to immediately notice an improvement from a good enough speaker to what some picky people would consider a much better one. People also differ on what they consider a "huge" boost in performance--huge to some is subtle to others.

By the way, did you buy your Polk Monitors on clearance? Their asking price was a lot higher before the line was discontinued, making them a great value these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar /forum/post/22066628

Sometimes, I don't notice improvements in performance as easily as I notice degradation in performance, so some day when I get some spare time, I might hook the Polks back up to this system and see if the performance drop is more noticeable to me.

I hazard to guess that it will be more noticeable because if you're like many of us here, then you will have become a more critical listener over time (I know I have!).
Eventually, it can even dominate the severe diminishing returns inherent in this field.

I mean, the Polk Monitors, despite being a budget-conscious line of speakers, are still pretty decent. I liked them when I first heard them (I don't usually go for bright-sounding speakers, but to my ear these are pleasingly tinkly), and I still like and recommend them today whenever they're a good fit. For perspective, you had mentioned HSU Research speakers earlier, so let's see how they fared against the Monitor 30 in a blind test conducted by critical listeners:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...arch-hb-1.html

Personally, I think they were a bit hard on the HB-1 (its midrange doesn't sound all that muddy to me) and easy on the Monitor 30 (has more cabinet resonance than the HB-1 and compresses more at loud volumes), but then again I've never listened to them practically side-by-side like this. The point here is that your old speakers aren't too shabby, and won't necessarily fall apart even when compared to more expensive speakers--HTIB speakers they are not. They're not as accurate and transparent as your new Ascends are, though, and it will be interesting to find out whether the improvements (the latter are cleaner, tighter, non-fatiguing, and more articulate as well) will become more apparent to you over time.

#3,129 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Cook /forum/post/22066870

By the way, did you buy your Polk Monitors on clearance? Their asking price was a lot higher before the line was discontinued, making them a great value these days.

I purchased two of the Monitor 60's earlier this year from NewEgg for $100 each (with free shipping), and two pair of the Monitor 30's a couple of years ago from NewEgg for $110 per pair, along with a CS1 center channel speaker for $90 (all came with free shipping).

#3,130 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar /forum/post/22067265

I purchased two of the Monitor 60's earlier this year from NewEgg for $100 each (with free shipping), and two pair of the Monitor 30's a couple of years ago from NewEgg for $110 per pair, along with a CS1 center channel speaker for $90 (all came with free shipping).

Ah yes, those were definitely clearance-priced at about 50% off (relative to street prices, let alone MSRP). The new TSi series that replaced the Monitor series is practically identical, model-for-model, except for a few cosmetic changes and numerical designations:

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/tsi/index.php

As you can see, their prices would be a lot closer to those of the Ascends if they weren't on clearance, and more than those of the HSU speakers they easily bested in the comparison linked above. Not to belabor this whole point, but for the sake of perspective, your Polks are better (and normally more expensive) than you had believed, to the point where you have to be fairly picky to appreciate how much more refined your Ascends are--you're comparing two legitimate hi-fi speakers with one another, not the Ascends to cheap junk (even though you got them for cheap
).