AVS Forum banner
1M views 12K replies 2K participants last post by  Castaa 
#1 ·

these models are hitting the streets so here we go!

Professional Reviews with Bench Tests

Home Theater Mag - AVR 1913 Review

Home Theater Mag - AVR 2313ci Review

Tutorial: How to select surround modes on the xx13 models

3313ci vs. 4311ci Comparison

3312ci vs. 3313ci Comparison
2312ci vs. 2113ci Comparison

2312ci vs. 2313ci Comparison

Batpig's AVR 2113ci Review

AVR 2113ci Review - Part 1 (unboxing and hookup)

AVR 2113ci Review - Part 2 (setup and basic use)

AVR 2113ci Review - Part 3 (AirPlay, iPhone app and networking)

AVR 2113ci Review - Part 4 (Audyssey calibration and sound quality)

AVR 2113ci VIDEO Review (3 parts)

WHAT'S NEW IN THE xx13 MODELS?

For xx13 there aren't any earth shattering feature additions, rather there is a continued "trickle down" of features like front HDMI inputs, networking, etc. to the entry level models. Furthermore, we see the continuing push towards an "all HDMI" environment, as analog input support shrinks a little more and component video has disappeared completely below the 1913 model.  If you want to get some detailed analysis of a new xx13 model in use, read through my 2113ci review linked above.  This will give you a really good sense of how the unit operates and what practical changes have been made in the new xx13 models.

Like the past two years, the cheapest model (1513) is a "crippled" unit lacking many important features (spring clips instead of speaker binding posts, no Audyssey, no networking, etc) found in the 1613 and higher level models, so we strongly recommend skipping it and going straight to the 1613 model at a minimum. The higher level "CI" models however get some interesting new additions, most notably: the trickle down of dual HDMI inputs, Audyssey DSX, and direct DSD support over HDMI to the 2313ci; the debut of 4k video scaling on all "CI" models; and the addition of "Zone 2 HDMI" output and DenonLink to the 3313ci.

See the descriptions below for the full details on specific feature differences between various models, but here is a summary of the important changes to the xx13 model lineup:

* All models now have a front-panel HDMI input

* All models have GUI that can overlay on HDMI video signals

--- Basic GUI on 1513, 1613, 1713

--- Advanced GUI on 1913 and higher models

--- GUI can ONLY be shown on HDMI output (all models)

* All models have front USB (except 1513)

* Networking now available in ALL models (except 1513) including support for Airplay, Pandora, smartphone control, etc.

--- All Zone 2 models allow fully independent streaming of network audio to Zone 2

--- Previous limitation of AirPlay "hijacking" main zone has been resolved, AirPlay can go to Zone 2 independently (although note that there is an initial "hijack" when AirPlay is initiated; after the AirPlay stream is going you can switch Main Zone to a different source)

--- Spotify coming this summer as firmware upgrade to 1913 and higher models

--- New Denon Remote App Ver 3.0 with XX13 model unique features (click here to see Denon App review with pics)

* Audyssey DSX, dual HDMI outputs, and DSD over HDMI available in 2313ci and above

* The 3313ci model has 3 HDMI outputs - 2 for main zone and one for Zone 2 HDMI matrix output

* All models between 1513 and 2313 no longer have AM radio (they want you to switch to internet radio streams)

* All models no longer have iPod dock input with control port (direct USB connection has rendered it obsolete)

* The lower end models (1513 through 2113ci) have a new shallower chassis (reduction in depth of ~50mm / ~2 in)

Changes to remotes:

--- Remotes are unique to each model (i.e., no extraneous buttons for features only offered on higher model)

--- Remotes (except for 3313ci) no longer control other devices (a good change considering how bad they were at this before!)

--- Remotes add an [INFO] button which calls up current status info (surround mode, input, etc) on the TV screen

--- Remotes add an [OPTION] button (calls up on-the-fly options, mostly for network & USB sources)

--- Remotes no longer have [CH LEVEL] button (see below for more info)

Changes to behavior of channel levels (speaker volumes):

--- [CH LEVEL] button removed from remotes (except for 1513)

--- Global channel levels can adjusted via GUI: Speakers > Manual Setup > Levels

--- Adjusting channel levels via "Levels" menu will reset all channel levels globally for all surround modes

--- Center channel volume can be adjusted for each surround mode using "Dialogue Level" setting in "Audio" menu

--- Subwoofer volume can be adjusted for each surround mode using "Subwoofer Level" setting in "Audio" menu

--- Click here to read a detailed post on the new channel level behavior

Other minor notes on changes from xx12 to xx13 models:

* Cosmetic refresh with new glossy fascia and front panel display

* Audyssey mic ACM1HB replaces DM-A409 (1613 and higher); cosmetic changes made only, interchangeable with DM-A409

* GUI menu structure has been reorganized

--- You can now check firmware version in the "Information" section of the GUI (found in the "General" sub-menu)

* "Auto Standby" feature added (so receiver will shut itself down after not receiving an input for a designated amount of time)

* Rhapsody and Napster support removed from networked models menu of services

* HDMI inputs are no longer assignable on non "CI" models (1913 and below), but as there are HDMI inputs for every possible source name (and they can be renamed), this is a moot point.  HDMI inputs are assignable on 2113ci, 2313ci and 3313ci.

* The three 5.1 models (1513/1613/1713) no longer have pre-outs for expansion to 7 channels

* Dynamic Volume level settings renamed from "Day/Evening/Midnight" to "Light/Medium/Heavy"

* Restorer modes renamed to "High/Middle/Low" for Modes 1-3 respectively.  Ironically this refers to the strength needed to "restore", not the quality of the source, so use "Low" (the default) for high quality sources.

* Stand alone "power indicator light" replaces "power ring indicator"

See less See more
#102 ·
I haven't finished set up yet.. Haven't even run Audyssey but I've tweaked speaker settings quickly to closely match SPL and distance. I know I won't have time to get to this until this weekend at the earliest. We're in the middle of a remodel of our master bedroom and I'm the labor so that takes precedence or I'll be moving into the doghouse.

One thing I noticed is that it is 4½ pounds lighter than the 889. As set up now it sounds about the same as my 889 when I didn't run audyssey between multiple processor resets to try to get the HDMI working correctly again just a few weeks ago but you can't really remember with accuracy what you heard. The 889 had powered Zone 2 speaker posts (9 pair total) but I didn't use them because I have a 7.1 system and there was only 7 amps. The 23XX has line level out which I will be using in tandum with the android app for a set of speakers outside or maybe in the new master bedroom.

#103 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 /forum/post/22033806

Getting happier by the day in my decision to not put out $300+ in fixing my 889 but rather upgrading it for just a few clams more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 /forum/post/22033887

I haven't finished set up yet.. Haven't even run Audyssey but I've tweaked speaker settings quickly to closely match SPL and distance. I know I won't have time to get to this until this weekend at the earliest. We're in the middle of a remodel of our master bedroom and I'm the labor so that takes precedence or I'll be moving into the doghouse.

One thing I noticed is that it is 4½ pounds lighter than the 889. As set up now it sounds about the same as my 889 when I didn't run audyssey between multiple processor resets to try to get the HDMI working correctly again just a few weeks ago but you can't really remember with accuracy what you heard. The 889 had powered Zone 2 speaker posts (9 pair total) but I didn't use them because I have a 7.1 system and there was only 7 amps. The 23XX has line level out which I will be using in tandum with the android app for a set of speakers outside or maybe in the new master bedroom.

These really are better posted in the XX12 Owner's thread.

#104 ·
I know.. I admitted it and that is why I left off the m.y. there..

I'm Sorry.

EDIT: BTW, from what I see these particular items of discussion are the same for either m.y.

#106 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotthree /forum/post/22033924

Looks like I am going for the 1913.

Thanks guys for clarifying some of my questions. I am excited about the new purchases!

And I enjoy spotify, but yea everyone kinda has a ipod/ipad/iphone.

Congrats!!

Well, not everybody because that would include me and I don't have an iAnything. My wife has and iPhone 4s, though.

Reactions: sheshechic
#107 ·
Following the format I used for the 33xx models, here's a detailed comparison of 2312ci vs. 2313ci:

LINK TO DENON SPEC SHEET COMPARISON

The same:

* Same size, same power (105w/ch x 7)

* The input/output allocation is nearly identical:

--- Both have 7 speaker posts and dual subwoofer RCA pre-outs

--- Both have 1 front HDMI input, 1 front USB input, and front panel RCA input (R/L stereo + composite video)

--- Both have 2 assignable component video inputs + 1 output

--- Both have 2 digital coax + 2 optical audio inputs (all assignable)

--- Both have Zone 2 pre-outs and one analog REC OUT

--- Both have RS-232, one 12v trigger out, and room-to-room IR jacks

--- Both have 5 rear analog audio inputs (excluding the "DOCK" input that disappears)

--- Both have 3 rear composite video inputs and 2 outputs

* Both have "advanced GUI" and analog>HDMI video conversion

* Both have networking with Airplay support etc.

* Same DAC's and ADC and DSP chips

* Both have the Audyssey MultEQ XT + Dyn EQ/Vol

2313ci losses vs. 2312ci:

* One fewer rear HDMI input (5 instead of 6)

* No more iPod "Dock" input with control port (obsoleted by Airplay + USB options)

* No more S-video inputs

* Networking drops Rhapsody / Napster support

* New "simplified" remote cannot be programmed to control other devices

* No more AM radio tuner

2313ci gains vs. 2312ci:

* Dual HDMI outputs (parallel, can only output the same source)

* 4k video scaling

* AirPlay independent to Zone 2

* Audyssey DSX

* SiriusXM and Spotify (coming via firmware update later this summer)

#108 ·
Probably wrong forum but what is Audyssey DSX? All the others are tweaks that don't matter to me in getting the 2312 but that one I'm not sure about.

Also is the amp power shown above correct for the 23XX?

#113 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 /forum/post/22033912

EDIT: BTW, from what I see these particular items of discussion are the same for either m.y.

The point is you have a 2312CI model and this is the XX13 thread. You are better served posting in that thread where other XX12 Owner's can take advantage of your posts as well.

#114 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/0

The point is you have a 2312CI model and this is the XX13 thread. You are better served posting in that thread where other XX12 Owner's can take advantage of your posts as well.

Okay. I will do it differently next time to help keep the threads clean. If it applies to both will only focus on it as occurs for that particular M.Y. the applicable thread... maybe x-linked between them. The thing is that the question will help those looking at the XX13 but because it is in this thread those looking at the XX12 may not pick it up.

#115 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/0

^^

It doesn't, but the 33XXCI series was previously the lowest series with DSX ... this year it moves down to the 2313CI.

As I see it DSX applies additional filters to Dolby PLIIz? Or does it do its thing even without PLIIz? I couldn't find that in the time I spent looking at it on Audyssey's website.

#117 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 /forum/post/22035386

Okay. I will do it differently next time to help keep the threads clean. If it applies to both will only focus on it as occurs for that particular M.Y. the applicable thread... maybe x-linked between them. The thing is that the question will help those looking at the XX13 but because it is in this thread those looking at the XX12 may not pick it up.

The thing is that the XX12 thread is almost a year old and virtually every question you ask has already been discussed in that thread ... using "Search This Thread" would likely get you answers much quicker. Let's let the XX13 owners ask the questions as they apply to their models.

#119 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 /forum/post/0

As I see it DSX applies additional filters to Dolby PLIIz? Or does it do its thing even without PLIIz? I couldn't find that in the time I spent looking at it on Audyssey's website.

It has absolutely nothing to do with PLIIz. You obviously spent a lot of time looking.

#121 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/0

It has absolutely nothing to do with PLIIz. You obviously spent a lot of time looking.

There's at least three separate pages on their site about it, none of which discussed how the two inter-relate so I guess they don't. Can both be used at the same time though?

BTW, I did spend at least half an hour reading it. With the Audyssey thread at 50k+ posts it is unweidly and I really haven't kept up over the last three years so I'm trying to catch up. I suppose I should have searched in there but it is a feature of the 2313ci so maybe somebody researching that model will pick up something here.

#123 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey1221 /forum/post/22035468

Purchased the 2113ci from Denon today. It will be nice having hdmi 1.4, coming from a 987 this will be a much needed improvement. Thanks for everyone's advice over the last few days.

Great! Look forward to your review on a comparison between the two and how you like the new GUI.

#124 ·
Full disclosure. If they work together tout it. If they conflict let your end users know beforehand so they don't lose good will. If it doesn't matter don't mention it... guess it doesn't matter.

Lots of manufacturer's do this for their product. Nothing worse than driving customers away with conflicting products.

#125 ·
Hi all,

I built a new house two years with the intention of installing a whole house audio system by Nuvo or Russound but at moment I can't justify the cost of a whole house system ($2500+) plus an additional $1250+ for a matching media server. In the meantime I have my Denon AVR-888 (which I borrowed from my home theater) hooked up to the most important zones (deck, garage, living room, bonus room) and an Apple Airport express. Its not pretty but it works, I would like my AVR-888 back so I was thinking that I would get an impedance matching 8 pair speaker selector and either a AVR-1713 or AVR-2113CI because they both support Airplay, DNLA (to play music from my NAS), the Denon Remote App, and SiriusXM internet streaming. I'm actually leaning towards the 2113CI because it has the RS232 port for integration with automation (I would like to setup "openremote" in the future) - I don't need anything fancy for video switching, etc. or anything greater than 5.1.

What do you guys think?

I've read that the SiriusXM streaming is US only, I have an XM online+ subscription in Canada - do you think they will support Canadian subscriptions one day? This one of the only reservations I have about the system at the moment. As a workaround I could use Airplay and the XM online app on an ipod (as I do right now) but it would be nice to have the AVR do everything. Have any of you owners tried the US SiriusXM?

My apologies for the short essay.

Thanks!

#126 ·
Being, as I am, a cheapskate, I believe the 1913 would meet my needs with powered zone 2 speakers but it doesn't have MultEQ XT, just MultEQ.

The 1713 is cheaper, does have MultEQ XT, but would need another amp to meet my zone 2 needs.

I've read that MultEQ XT is better than vanilla MultEQ but how much better? Will my tired old ears even notice the difference?

If I went the 1713 route, what sort of amp should I buy for zone 2 and how much would that cost?

I guess I could pick up a 2113 (or 2313) which would give me powered zone 2 plus MultEQ but I don't see it advertised anywhere at anything other than list price.

Decisions, decisions....