AVS Forum banner
669K views 5K replies 580 participants last post by  Amjsim 
#1 ·
I had questions and someone sugested I start this thread, I hope I dont step on any toes, I'm not a Moderator or Special member or anything. I'm researching my new reciever to get and am very intereseted in the 4310, mainly because of the new stuff like ABT. I just wish I could get it for the 3808's price. I would like to go with the 4310 AVR and the new denon 1610 blu-ray, but I was wondering if it would be just as good to go with the 3808 AVR and Denon 2010 Blu-ray?, That way I could get the ABT video and have good sound as well. Does anyone know if going this route would still look and sound as good as if going the 4310/1610 route? I mean have the 2010 ABT do the video procesing and the 3808 do the sound. thanks

Rob

#4,956 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 /forum/post/21544505

Stick with the 12's for the front. Use the 10's for surround duty...At least that is what I would do in your position. I am running all Martin Logan, Encore TF for the surrounds, and the 4310 just rocks.

And I have the ML Motion 12.
I found a real deal online.

They are running in stereo because I need to replace the little polkies and don't want to mix them.

So, I have re run Audissey and the settings are:

Size: Large

Crossover: Full band

However, I have changed to small and crossover to 80 hz. But I'm not 100% sure if this setting needs to be changed manually. What do you think?

In stereo mode seems to sound better when I set in custom >> Front: Large. Sub: yes >> SW Mode LFE+Main >> Crossover 80 hz.

Am I running Audissey in the correct way?

By the way, the first impressions are pretty impressive!!!

Thanks!

#4,958 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind /forum/post/21968943

I looked at PRO and wondered:

1. Can you see more than the five EQ curves shown in the UI? Specifically the SUB channel(s) corrections?
Yes, there's detailed before and after curves for each speaker-check out the lower right curve=sub(s) on the Audyssey Pro certificates posted throughout the Pro thread.

2. What do you think the qualitative differences between XT with, and without PRO are?
Good question. I have not done XT. Pro can only work with the version of Audyssey in the processor. So, likely the same sort of benefit as with XT32, but perhaps less so. You could ask on the Pro thread. If it's a choice between spending the $ on a Pro kit or upgrading to an XT32-equipped AVR, I recommend XT32 first. It's much bigger bang for the buck.

3. Is there a steep learning curve to perform a PRO calibration, or do you simply have 32 (24 additional) measurement points?
It's a bit more complex than autosetup but not as complex as learning to use something like REW, for ex. If you read the beginning of the Pro thread, there are brief instructions that will give you a pretty clear idea.

SoundofMind, Thanks for your detailed response.

1. EQ Curves for SUB - I took a look at some of the Audyssey Pro certificates (kbarnes701 post #1803). How great is it to see the results of the Frequency correction! One wonders what the time domain corrections look like? The engineer in me is envious and tempted to buy the Pro Kit just for the graphs. In the UI at least I can see the "after" curves for the five main channels.

2. XT, with and without PRO - In his (kbarnes701 #1854) post he saw many benefits with PRO (I think he has XT32). For now I am a happy camper with my "new" 4310 and XT regular.

3. Learning PRO - Interesting, and the custom mode looks fun as well. Question, once you purchase the Pro Kit, can it be used on any Audyssey equipped gear/brand (I realize each piece requires a $150 license)?

#4,959 ·
"...once you purchase the Pro Kit, can it be used on any Audyssey equipped gear/brand?"

^Yes, as long as that particular model is Pro-capable, as is the 4310, 4311 and up models in Denon. Onkyo AVRs are not, AFAIK, but their pre/pros are.

#4,962 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeemer /forum/post/21756053

The 4310 cannot directly play 96/24 FLAC files (or higher), so if that's what you downloaded, you are out of luck. But the 4310 will play regular 16/44.1 FLAC files and those should show up on your display when you use the NET function to get to your server (computer) and then the Music folder within your computer and from there navigate to the folder that contains the songs you want to play. If you have a server program on your computer that can play 96/24 flac files, then it can send those files as PCM to your 4310 for playing. You would need to use a third party program since Windows Media Player cannot natively play FLAC at all at any resolution, although you can download a codec to allow it to play the regular FLAC files. If you want to play many 96/24 FLAC files, you might wish to invest in a third party music player such as JRiver Media Center; I understand that something like Foobar also works well and it is free, but I use JRiver so I cannot say how well Foobar works personally. Hope this info helps.

Just discovered this thread. Just bought a refurbrished 4310ci recently. I was fairly upset when I discovered I couldn't play my HDTracks files via the Network input. I solved the problem by using Media Monkey, which is free, and copying the folder to another spot and then converting these files to 48/24 WAV files. Doubt any sonic degradation.

Media Monkey will also play any type file from your computer.

#4,963 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieheels /forum/post/0

Just discovered this thread. Just bought a refurbrished 4310ci recently. I was fairly upset when I discovered I couldn't play my HDTracks files via the Network input. I solved the problem by using Media Monkey, which is free, and copying the folder to another spot and then converting these files to 48/24 WAV files. Doubt any sonic degradation.

Just discovered that my ARgosy media player plays FLAC. I'm testing with a few files 96/24 that I've downloaded. The player is connected to 4310 via HDMI and status says signal is FS 96. Am I doing the right thing?

Just started to play with FLAC this week.

#4,964 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieheels /forum/post/0

Does anybody know what is the advantage to play hi res files through an external DAC instead of a media server in 4310?

Just started to playing around with high res files and I'm doing some tests.

For now, I have an Argosy media player and trough it I saw I can play up to 192/24 files. But I don't know how to see if I'm loosing something doing that way.

Thanks!

#4,965 ·
I think I have finally fallen victim to the NIC card failure. I haven't heard much about repairs times on here lately. Anyone know if Denon has the card in stock? Also, does this repair have to take place at a regional super center? We have two local service centers, but not regional supercenters. And is it fairly easy to get the RMA from Denon with a phone call to the support number?

Thanks!

#4,966 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adb3da /forum/post/22042151

I think I have finally fallen victim to the NIC card failure. I haven't heard much about repairs times on here lately. Anyone know if Denon has the card in stock? Also, does this repair have to take place at a regional super center? We have two local service centers, but not regional supercenters. And is it fairly easy to get the RMA from Denon with a phone call to the support number?

Thanks!

Sorry to hear that the NIC card is giving you trouble. Is you unit still under warranty? The replacement is very easy to do. I changed mine in 15 minutes. I can PM the instructions if you are interested. JT

#4,967 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 /forum/post/22042178

Sorry to hear that the NIC card is giving you trouble. Is you unit still under warranty? The replacement is very easy to do. I changed mine in 15 minutes. I can PM the instructions if you are interested. JT

I should still be under warranty (it's 2 years, right)? I bought it on clearance in December 2010. I'd be fine with doing it myself, but if I can have it done for free I'd rather do that.

#4,968 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adb3da /forum/post/0

Thanks!

I took mine to the local service center, where they diagnosed it and ordered/installed the card. I never called Denon. This was last year, so the time involved is irrelevant to today.

#4,969 ·
Ok, so I have a new concern now on getting warranty service. I just located my receipt and the cheap paper and ink has faded quite a bit. You can still read it, but just barely. And I mean barely. Purchase date was 01/09/2011. Do you think I will have any issues getting warranty work performed?

#4,970 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adb3da /forum/post/0

Ok, so I have a new concern now on getting warranty service. I just located my receipt and the cheap paper and ink has faded quite a bit. You can still read it, but just barely. And I mean barely. Purchase date was 01/09/2011. Do you think I will have any issues getting warranty work performed?

Ask the service center. Nobody here could possibly know that

#4,971 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach /forum/post/22042448

Ask the service center. Nobody here could possibly know that

Just curious if anyone on here had a similar experience. Most receipts I have saved from the last 5 years seem to fade over time. I doubt I am alone. I will call the local service center but it's Saturday night and I know it's useless until Monday. I'm just making conversation.

#4,972 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adb3da /forum/post/22042458

Just curious if anyone on here had a similar experience. Most receipts I have saved from the last 5 years seem to fade over time.

If you have a scanner, try scanning the receipts for big ticket items with warranties when you purchase them.

#4,973 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adb3da /forum/post/22042404

Yes, Denon is excellent to work with. Call and talk to them and tell them the story and you should have no issues.

Also, for you to replace the NIC card yourself will require you purchasing a new NIC ($150?) and I wouldn't do that. I could live withoput mine for the whole 10 days it took to ship, be repaired and shipped back to me.

#4,974 ·
Is there a particular setting needed to engage AL24 Processing Plus, or does it automatically engage when it detects an LPCM input signal? I ask because I have two ways to play CDs: One is with my Oppo BDP-83, which I have set to output bitstream via HDMI, and the other is with a Sony CD player/recorder connected via an optical cable.

Either way I play a CD, both the "PCM" and "DIG." input signal indicators light, but not the AL24 indicator. What am I missing?

#4,975 ·
Has the AL24 indicator light come on in the past? Have you double checked the input assign for both OPPO and Sony? Sounds strange to me, from your post I would think that AL24 indicator light SHOULD be on. Make extra sure that input mode is set to "digital" and not analog,auto,HDMI,EXT in for the Sony connected by optical. Input mode setting for OPPO make sure it's set to HDMI.

#4,979 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbird7 /forum/post/21968686

Right, and DENON is considering offering an extended warranty beyond the one year for recently purchased refurbs. Last week DENON told me "call back in a month or so for an update".

I spoke with the AC4L owner who recently met with some Denon Execs on ways to improve the processing of returned refurbs. He indicated that Denon is not considering extending the existing 1 year warranty, but rather is more likely considering adding the same "for fee" extended warranty (currently offered with the new units sold on their website) to the refurbs they sell on the website as well.

#4,980 ·
Flashing on output 1 HDMI, all connected components via HDMI, as well as component to HDMI. Output HDMI 2, zero flashing. Have not tried the Wii (component to HDMI) yet.

Is there a known problem/fix that addresses this problem or is it just me? What is the difference between outout HDMI 1/2? I was under the impression there was no difference?

Do I need to send the 4310 in for repair...again?

Background: Never an issue (no flashing) till an Oppo 93 was connected to the system in a direct replacement of a LG BDP. I am certain it is coincidence and nothing to do with the Oppo itself, however even after returning to the original system configuration, the flashing has increased in frequency it seems. Oh yes, the display is a Mitsubishi 73733. Once switched to output HDMI 2, all flashing has ceased, tho I have read on others it has returned on output HDMI 2 also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.