AVS Forum banner

64" E7000 vs. 65" VT50 - How do i chose 72 hours before buying!

4K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  wirelessroute 
#1 ·
Need a little help please!!

I will be picking up one of the above mentioned sets this coming Sunday, and as we know, there is a fairly decent price gap between them.

I just need some help or a nudge to lean me over to one side.

My needs are simple, very simple - want the best 2D picture I can get within reason between these 2 sets for the "value" or price paid.

I do not want or need 3D but I'll take it for the "what if" I want to see it but my family has zero interest in it and have yet to own 1 3D movie in my 150+ Blu Ray collection even when I buy now I don't buy the 3D versions.

I do not want any of the new fancy gadgetry with tv's these day. I will absolutely never use smart tv, no Internet, no net flix, no Skype camera, no fancy remotes.

Zero gaming, I don't even own a console of any kind lol.

70% Blu Ray watching, 30% TV.

Problem tends to be that if you want the best pic, typically you have to go to the top models, but they also include a bunch of stuff we don't need but it's part of the deal I guess.

The reason I say E7000 Samsung is cause I'm being told there is no difference in picture quality over the 8000 and I'd only be paying for unwanted features.

With the VT50, besides my extra inch, at $700 more based on what it would cost me, is it worth the "upgrade"? Will the picture be such an improvement that I will really notice it an feel like I'm missing something?

I loved the picture on my old D8000 Samsung plasma, the picture was bright, sharp, and the nicest I had ever seen. Will both these sets be considered an upgrade that I will notice? Does the VT50 have the same vibrant punch the Samsungs have?

So, how do I chose? At least I'm down to 2 models!!

Thanks!!

P.S.

I know the GT or ST series on the Panasonic exists, just like the look of the VT and like knowing I have a flagship model I guess.

See less See more
#2 ·
One way to choose is to wait for the HDTV shootout at Value Electronics. Personally, I'd go for the Panny. Why exactly are you upgrading from your D8000? Although these displays get a little bit better each year, you're not going to see a major upgrade in PQ, IMO.

#3 ·
Sorry, should have mentioned it...I owned the D8000 for about 25 days last year, I returned it (and it broke my heart doing so) after I had the peeling screen problem and since I bought in the USA and brought it to Canada, I was denied warranty work so I was forced to return it and Sammy even suggested i do so, haven't had a tv since, this was last April

For the time I owned it, the picture was incredible, I want to make sure my new tv is the same as a minimum or better.

I ordered the E7000 already, it's ready for pick up so I am sorta committed to it but can opt for another set if I want...I just don't want to cancel my entire order now.

#5 ·
Here is a link and excerpt to Chad B's review of the VT50 and it's comparison to some of the other top tv's out now.

https://clevelandplasma.com/store/20...nic_tc_pxxvt50

____________________________________________________________ _____

Excerpt from review:

How does the 65VT50 stack up against this year's best high performance sets?

Samsung's PN-E8000 is the only worthy plasma contender. While it has very natural color and other excellent traits, it's black level remains pretty close to last year's model with cable and satellite sources, whereas the VT50's black level has significantly improved. That leaves the E8000 falling behind the VT50 in dynamic range and contrast, with other areas very close.

The Sharp Elite, which remains unchanged this year, has the VT50 beat in black levels and contrast; but it's off axis deterioration and the Dirty Screen Effect can be crippling. The Elite's color can be made pleasant enough with a good calibration, but it's color can never be accurate across all saturation and brightness levels.

Sony's HX929, also unchanged from last year, remains my favorite current LED LCD, with excellent color and overall picture quality. As with the Elite, the HX929's black levels and contrast can beat the VT50, though the HX929's blooming and off axis degradation are enough to at least even the score.

LG has plans to roll out new full local dimming and OLED sets soon, but these will be limited to smaller screen sizes when they become available.

The VT50 has some serious Wow! factor. When you get that rare combination of accuracy and excitement, it makes being called a nerd by your friends (or maybe even your wife) worth it after all.

____________________________________________________________ _____

Keep us posted on your decision although I am sure there is no wrong choice. I have two panny plasmas that I have been very satisfied with but switching over to a Samsung for a plus 60" screen entices me if for no other reason to get something different and I've heard the Sammy's picture have a WOW factor. I saw the VT50 at BB and liked it but spending around $4k on a tv (65") is a bit taboo for me, I'd probably wait til next year's models come out to get one. In that respect, the E7000 is much more affordable now.

Bottom line, tough choice. For me it's a value to price type of decision.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams /forum/post/0

Need a little help please!!

I will be picking up one of the above mentioned sets this coming Sunday, and as we know, there is a fairly decent price gap between them.

I just need some help or a nudge to lean me over to one side.

My needs are simple, very simple - want the best 2D picture I can get within reason between these 2 sets for the "value" or price paid.

I do not want or need 3D but I'll take it for the "what if" I want to see it but my family has zero interest in it and have yet to own 1 3D movie in my 150+ Blu Ray collection even when I buy now I don't buy the 3D versions.

I do not want any of the new fancy gadgetry with tv's these day. I will absolutely never use smart tv, no Internet, no net flix, no Skype camera, no fancy remotes.

Zero gaming, I don't even own a console of any kind lol.

70% Blu Ray watching, 30% TV.

Th

Problem tends to be that if you want the best pic, typically you have to go to the top models, but they also include a bunch of stuff we don't need but it's part of the deal I guess.

The reason I say E7000 Samsung is cause I'm being told there is no difference in picture quality over the 8000 and I'd only be paying for unwanted features.

With the VT50, besides my extra inch, at $700 more based on what it would cost me, is it worth the "upgrade"? Will the picture be such an improvement that I will really notice it an feel like I'm missing something?

I loved the picture on my old D8000 Samsung plasma, the picture was bright, sharp, and the nicest I had ever seen. Will both these sets be considered an upgrade that I will notice? Does the VT50 have the same vibrant punch the Samsungs have?

So, how do I chose? At least I'm down to 2 models!!

Thanks!!

P.S.

I know the GT or ST series on the Panasonic exists, just like the look of the VT and like knowing I have a flagship model I guess.

Go with the better known reliability, qc, and cs Panny I had a flagship Samsung lose the panel after just over two years. So that pushed me to the vt and I bought it blind and have no regrets with it other than the fact that I need to get it calibrated

#8 ·
I have owned the PN64E8000 for about 1 1/2 months and currently own a P60GT50. I have to say I still miss the Samsung screen, but as stated above I think the build quality may be an issue. I had real issues with noise levels, so after my dealer gave me a third one (their idea not mine), I moved to the Panny and it is a great set, quiet, but lacking something I find hard to describe in 2 and 3D. For me, the Samsung out of the box is more appealing, but over time I believe the Panny will prove to be the better choice.

My move to 60" (no 65" Panny were available at the time) saved me significant $$$, plus I got the quiet I needed to enjoy my new TV. I agree the gadgets on the 8000 are not worth it either.

#9 ·
CS\\build quality horror stories are on both sides of the fence... (no one seems to recall panny flagship vt30 and it's green blob issues..etc..)

Let's keep it in perspective. If Samsung was really that horrible how the hell would they manage to stay not only afloat, but near the top in sales!?!?

Why not purchase one or the other from a place with a good return policy and eval in your home?

Knock on wood I haven't experienced any of the nightmare stories with the Samsungs I've owned in the past(LCD), granted this is my first plasma purchase [and it's a quiet one I might add!
]... and to me the build quality seems sound. I purchased the additional warranty, which I think is a wise move no matter what manufacturer you choose.

You have to be the judge of the $$$.. even if the VT is that much better is 700-1000 price difference worth that extra 5% (BALLPARK #) in PQ?

#10 ·
Thanks for everyone's feedback so far, it's going to be a tough call for me and I guess I need to see if the increase, whatever percentage of better that works out being, is worth the added costs.

From what I understand from actual owners, each set / company has its own unique "display", meaning what you see...seems Samsung has more pop and bright colors and VT shows a little differently.

I will try to see if can admire each set separately before leaving with one as I've never actually looked at or seen a Panny display, guess I always leaned to Samsung for my Plasma by default.

Once I own one of them, returning it to try another set or swap it is not an easy task being 250 miles away from my closest Magnolia store.

I gotta get this one right!

#11 ·
Hi Dreams,

What did you decide to do? I've been debating the same choice. At my local BB Magnolia they won't let me compare the TVs on the same source (mumbo jumbo about manufacturers/store requirements). The various grades of Panasonics all had beautiful pictures, but didn't engage my "Wow!" response like the Samsung e7000 did while displaying BBC nature images, when I muttered "Perfect!" to myself. Other feeds from BB were just so-so. All in all, it's been hard for me to make a fair comparison. Maybe you had better luck.

Thanks.

#12 ·
Well, I'll be leaving my home in Montreal at 6am heading to Magnolia in New Hampshire which is 4.5 hours away from me.

I'll be making a final choice once I get there and as of right now, I still haven't been able to

All I keep hearing is the Panny has less of a wow factor which scares me. I know what the D8000 Sammy plasma looked like and I honestly never saw a better picture in my life. I don't know if the Panny will be able to do this for me?

I missed the shoot out after my kids were driving me nuts as I tried to watch it lol.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams /forum/post/22042439

Well, I'll be leaving my home in Montreal at 6am heading to Magnolia in New Hampshire which is 4.5 hours away from me.

I'll be making a final choice once I get there and as of right now, I still haven't been able to

All I keep hearing is the Panny has less of a wow factor which scares me. I know what the D8000 Sammy plasma looked like and I honestly never saw a better picture in my life. I don't know if the Panny will be able to do this for me?

I missed the shoot out after my kids were driving me nuts as I tried to watch it lol.

Is the Magnolia price for the 65VT50 really that much better than here in Canada??? And if you are bringing it across the border in your car it's mighty difficult to hide, so the 6% duty + PST + GST need to be added to the Magnolia price as well. I just bought my 65VT50 at FutureShop last week for a price-matched $3550 + tax ($4011 total) and it should be available next week. And if there are issues, I can get a replacement within a week without even leaving home

#14 ·
I think as long as you don't run into any issues with the sets needing serviced that you are looking at a can't lose option. They are the two best TV's on the market in my opinion with the possible exception of the Sharp Elite's with their known color issues, DSE and off angle performance being enough to keep me with a plasma preference, that being said the 70inch Elite is still a beautiful set but its also way out of my budget and would need to be 100% prefect to justify its price tag to me.

#16 ·
If I got that price here in Quebec, I would certainly consider it, but employees at Future Shop Quebec and a bunch of pricks like you have no idea. They could honestly care less about price matching and would rather lose the sale.

Tried so many times last year with a Sammy D800 plasma. An AVS forum member was able to have Future Shop Toronto price match a competitor on the 64", made the price drop by around $300 or so. He then provided me with a copy of the bill from Future Shop with proof of how much he paid and 3 future shops here told me they would never match it and that Future Shops in Ontario are not the same...I was like you're right, they aren't a-holes.

I absolutely hate shopping here, every electronic item I own was purchased in the USA, not to mention over 150 Blu Rays and counting. I would never support my local economy (Quebec), they are as ignorant as they get when it comes to pricing.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millott /forum/post/0

No sales tax in NH which may well be why he is making that long of a trek.

Exactly lol! I'll do it in under 4 hours probably, closer than the roughly 6 to Toronto if I wanted to go there for a price match. And the no sales tax makes it totally worth my while.

Lastly, gas in the USA is roughly 40% cheaper than in Canada so it won't cost me much on the fill up there and back.

#18 ·
I just got a PN64e7000 a few days ago and the picture is great. I had a PNC637000 before and got the 2 year warranty. It developed an issue, so I contacted Frys and after an attempted fix they decided to replace it with the PN64e7000. Its a display model, but could not have been on display for long.

The only downside is that this set has a pretty annoying buzz. You cant hear it when the TV is going normal volume, but any quiet scenes the buzz is very present. I am tempted to call Frys up again and see about another swap. I know Plasma buzz is normal, but this one is way too loud. My 63c never had any buzz. Of course you may get one with no buzz, plus I have to try a bunch of buzz fixes, just have not had a chance yet.

Ok now I am rambling. I will stop.

#19 ·
FYI to those that don't know, Future Shop lists the 65" VT50 at $4500 plus roughly 15% tax, we are talking 5 grand before even talking about a warranty. Welcome to Canada!

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukewind /forum/post/0

I just got a PN64e7000 a few days ago and the picture is great. I had a PNC637000 before and got the 2 year warranty. It developed an issue, so I contacted Frys and after an attempted fix they decided to replace it with the PN64e7000. Its a display model, but could not have been on display for long.

The only downside is that this set has a pretty annoying buzz. You cant hear it when the TV is going normal volume, but any quiet scenes the buzz is very present. I am tempted to call Frys up again and see about another swap. I know Plasma buzz is normal, but this one is way too loud. My 63c never had any buzz. Of course you may get one with no buzz, plus I have to try a bunch of buzz fixes, just have not had a chance yet.

Ok now I am rambling. I will stop.

I've read a lot about the buzzing, this is the fear I have with picking up the Sammy E7000.

#21 ·
Also, I have a Best Buy USA credit card, the 36 months interest free is better than what I am offered here by local retailers unfortunately.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRx /forum/post/0

Is the Magnolia price for the 65VT50 really that much better than here in Canada??? And if you are bringing it across the border in your car it's mighty difficult to hide, so the 6% duty + PST + GST need to be added to the Magnolia price as well. I just bought my 65VT50 at FutureShop last week for a price-matched $3550 + tax ($4011 total) and it should be available next week. And if there are issues, I can get a replacement within a week without even leaving home

If I wind up taking the Samsung though, zero duty to be paid...it's one of the things this set has going for it...

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukewind /forum/post/22042481

I just got a PN64e7000 a few days ago and the picture is great.

The only downside is that this set has a pretty annoying buzz. You cant hear it when the TV is going normal volume, but any quiet scenes the buzz is very present.

You are probably sensitive to it like I am. I ended up with a 60GT50 with normal plasma noise - not that annoying buzz. I tried the swap approach and they were all annoying.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams /forum/post/22042518

If I wind up taking the Samsung though, zero duty to be paid...it's one of the things this set has going for it...

How come no duty on the Samsung vs the Panasonic???

Also, I'm really shocked at the FutureShop attitude in Quebec. But I grew up in Quebec (Ste. Therese) so I kinda know what you are referring to. I'm just surprised about the stark difference in philosophy in the same company as you cross the border. The price-match process at FS here in the Toronto area took all of 30 seconds. I had an email (yes, email!) quote on my BlackBerry from another local store - they looked at it - said ok - and wrote it up! They even said that it was hard to validate an email quote, but said they didn't want to loose a customer. This was honored for both the Samsung 60ES8000 ($1000 off MSRP) and the 65VT50 ($860 off MSRP) I purchased last week.

#26 ·
I am looking at the same two sets and I have owned samsung and Panasonic plasmas in the past. While I have not seen them in person, I truly believe I would be happy with either set. So it may come down to price with the edge going to Samsung.

Let me know what you decide; my timeframe is not as tight as years but I will be making a decision in the next few weeks.

However, after doing some more research, it looks like the Panasonic (even the gt50) may be a better choice if you watch tv in a well lit room. Does that sound right?

Dave

Ps. Do both sets offer vudu?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.