- A Visual Journey

- Assembling the Ultimate Team

6. SOUNDGARDEN MUSIC VIDEO – “Live to Rise

Crap art and Marvel twice on the cover?

See less See more
#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy /forum/post/22043278

I'm so there...what; lens flaring from Iron Man's repulsor!? That cover is pretty crappy looking....

Ditto. Both are terrible. I was holding out hope that they wouldn't use their horrible photoshop theatrical posters for the covers, but looks like they will. Did ANYONE even try to make these look good?

#8 ·
Someone's gonna chime in and say, "who cares about the cover?" Well, they could've tried to make it look a little like the front of an Avengers comic (preliminary cover?) Don't really need to see Downey's (uncovered) face. But oh, well...

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 /forum/post/22044654

it's "good" i guess; but talk about overhyped

it has the requisite wisecracks and endless cgi battle towards the end, but i've seen it all before.

I think it's about on par with Iron Man, give or take some fancy computer graphics.

Some of the guys I work with have some interesting views on films in general, this one ranked as "best movie ever" according to them.

Yes, it was entertaining, it was big and noisy, it was funny.. everything the modern audience wants. It was a good comic book movie.

When people ask me if it was "good", I usually respond that it was fun and I enjoyed it. That's usually enough for most people that ask, but there's a division between "fun movie" and "good movie", for me anyway. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is a "good" movie. The Avengers is a "fun" movie. They each have their place, but they can't really be compared in terms of "quality".

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 /forum/post/22045110

Some of the guys I work with have some interesting views on films in general, this one ranked as "best movie ever" according to them.

Yes, it was entertaining, it was big and noisy, it was funny.. everything the modern audience wants. It was a good comic book movie.

When people ask me if it was "good", I usually respond that it was fun and I enjoyed it. That's usually enough for most people that ask, but there's a division between "fun movie" and "good movie", for me anyway. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is a "good" movie. The Avengers is a "fun" movie. They each have their place, but they can't really be compared in terms of "quality".

Very well put, and I agree.

I tell people I look at the new Batman movies as Christopher Nolan films about Batman. I like his movies, direction and his approach. I think they're awesome Nolan films with a realistic look at a modern day Batman.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 /forum/post/22045110

So quality equals serious ?

Yes it's fun movie, but imo it's also an amazingly well constructed, paced, story. The way the plot evolves, the way these multiple, different characters from different movies are put together, everything is in the right place. It could have fail but in the hands of a bunch of very talented filmmakers and a terrific cast, it works. Does it have oscar-worthy performances? Probably not. On the other hand, based on some oscar-winning turns, it doesn't mean much either. It has the perfect performances required to make it work. So imo, The Avengers is at the very least a film as good as Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, it's a different movie for sure, but they both use different criteria to define them as good or bad. And as far as super-hero movies go, I'd say The Avengers is probably the best Marvel movie so far, and The Dark Knight is the best DC Comics movie so far.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN /forum/post/22044030

was this a good movie???

Good? No. It was great!

My opinion is that this is a great movie and deserves all its hype and massive wealth. Also, it's one of the best comic book movie I've ever seen to date. Honestly, it makes the trailer for Dark Knight Rises look like completely pretentious yawn-fest drivel ("this is no car" Puh-leaze). I was excited for DKR before seeing The Avengers, but now I probably won't even bother seeing it in the theater (and I love Batman!)

Whedon took a cast of characters that we know already (IM, IM2, CA, Hulk, Thor) and made each of them grow beyond their previous incarnations, but instead of stopping there he successfully blended them all together (along with a couple new faces) without diminishing them. Whedon & Co. were able to cater to fans of each character, fans of the Avengers, and still make the film accessible enough for my parents and in-laws to see a second time (they don't know anything about Avengers). All the while, the experience has not been watered down as there are plenty of nerd-core easter eggs for people like my wife.

Going in, I didn't expect it to be as good as it was. I didn't think Whedon could pull it off, I didn't think the new Banner/Hulk (Ruffalo) could pull it off, I didn't think Hawkeye (Renner) would be interesting, and I certainly didn't expect anything from Black Widow (Johannsen). What I expected and what I got were two very different things.

If I had to nitpick, I could find some things to complain about. All in all, this film deserves its billion(s).

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian /forum/post/22046329

interesting logic

Logic? We're talking about comic books, superheroes and women with 38FFs that never sag. Logic has little to do with it. It's all completely subjective reasoning and opinion.

I loved nearly everything about Batman Begins. I thought Dark Knight was pretty good, but it ran way too long and then got laughably silly with Batsie's cell-phone spy technology. To this day, I'm pretty sure it's overhyped only because Health offed himself - I still think Nicholson was the better Joker. I was excited for DKR, to finally wrap up the saga, but the more I see and hear of it, the less interesting it is becoming. Avengers was so fun, entertaining, and colorful (in palette and tone) that DKR looks like it will be depressing and slow in comparison and in reality - like TDK.

Maybe it will be awesome, but the trailer is having the complete opposite effect on me. Maybe it's the constant growling voices of Batman and Bane. Maybe it's that I don't care for Anne Hathaway. Maybe it's the never-ending bass drops that serve no purpose. Maybe it's just the dumb joke at the end of it and terrible CG of the Batwing flying over the skyscraper, but it's not selling itself very well to me. It's making me anxious rather than excited. It seems like something I have to go see out of duty instead of enjoyment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.