AVS Forum banner

2011 LG XXPV450 and 400 Owner's Thread

215K views 851 replies 189 participants last post by  TT_Vert 
#1 ·
Hi,

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Hope this is ok to start this thread. Just picked up the 50PV400 at Costco and I saw there was no thread for the 50PV450 (which is pretty much the same TV as the costco model from what I gather). Just to kick things off: I'm not able to figure out if the intelligent light sensor thing is on or how to turn it off, if it is. Also, I can't get the energy saving mode to engage or disengage. I think perhaps the Costco model doesn't have this feature? Although, it is on the box and there's a button on the remote. Obviously, sharing settings would be great if anyone has some good ones. I saw that one guy posted his settings in an Amazon review. I'll cut and paste those over here if anyone is interested. I'm excited about this set, I think it will be pretty amazing after I crank up some of the settings (I'm babying it for the first 100 hours or so).

#802 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by energyx /forum/post/21431978

Follow up to my post about a service call for my November 2011 dated 60PV450. The local service company was very professional, did everything they said they would and when they said. The tech brought out a new(read refurb) main board (the controller board with all the connections on the back). He said LG has had a few of these calls and this board had the latest software.

He doesn't understand why LG doesn't just let you update the TV from USB, but he swapped out the board in about 10 mins. The most time was screws out and back in.

So far, it is much improved. The recorded material I had flicker with is 95% eliminated. Where it would "hunt" for a color before, it just shifts and stays there now. For what I paid for this, I think I'm keeping it now. Wish I could give more info about the firmware version, etc, but LG doesn't really make the info available.

the flicker has got so bad on my tv viewing white balance scenes & even color, so i've been reading around & found this thread & decided to call LG & read them some of the info here about the board could be replaced to fix the "flickering". Unfortunately, there's no auth svc ctr near me, i live 90 mi from lubbock, middle of nowhere so the guy at LG said give them 3-5 days to work something out, that they would honor the warranty & fix the tv at no cost to me. time will tell i guess ugh!

#804 ·
Could someone who has some knowledge about this please, please help me (us) out. I have the flickering which happens especially on images which have primarily one color (so any soccer, football, golf as well as, yes as someone mentions above, Frozen Planet). I called LG (who of course had NO idea what I was talking about) and they sent a tech. The tech saw the problem (we watched some golf) however they are insisting that if an issue can be recorded then it's not the TV. In other words, since we could rewind the golf and make it happen again then it is literally IMPOSSIBLE for it to be the TV.

They said I should call cable company. I said that it happens from other sources (PS3) -- don't care ... if it can be recorded and duplicated it's not the TV. I said you can't take the DVR and play it back on another TV and duplicate the problem on another TV (which would suggest it was indeed the source material) -- don't care ... if it can be recorded and duplicated it's not the TV. I said lots of other people had experienced the same identical problem -- don't care ... if it can be recorded and duplicated it's not the TV. So is this true? It seems like a very catch-all (and convenient) solution. They said I should call the cable company (and I know the cable company is going to ask me to take the box to another TV to replicate the problem -- which I can't -- and they are going to ask if I can see it on other sources like DVD -- which I can -- and they are going to think it's not them). Regardless, is it true, 100%, that if you can duplicate the problem again and again in the same spot from recorded material than it's impossible to be the TV? If you could provide some explanation that would be great as I would have some ammo for speaking with these people. Thanks a lot!

#805 ·
i had left a usb stick plugged into my tv just for convenience to watch a slide show when not viewing regular tv so on an off chance thought just maybe that was what was causing my tv to flicker since the usb stick was still "active" with a green light flash now n then, & after i pulled it from the tv the pronounced flicker i had is for the most part, gone. i think this flicker is either connected to the electronics that govern this tv & it's components & the power cord, but that's just my opinion. at least i won't have to move all this stuff around for a tv service tech that prob wouldn't or couldn't fix anything anyway. it took lg almost 2 weeks to call me back to say they would schedule a repair visit for my tv & i informed them i already took care of it.

#806 ·
thanks all the posts .

looking for a basement TV and found costco have the best price for this LG60'' and a Samsung 59".

took the LG home today , and happy with it .

glare does appear especially TV is facing a window .

this TV is entry level , no wifi, netflix , etc . but pictures is good , large size , good enough for HD video and game of course .

different video mode can tell the capability of future adjustment .

I will try to avoid burn-in.

not sure if I am going to buy 3 more years of costco warranty ( $60 ) , comes with two years .

This TV is light compared to 5 year old 42" LCD .

slight lag reported by been for COD , compared to no lag on LCD monitor.

next thing is to get OTA and some real HD source .

cheers,

#807 ·
Just picked a 60pv450 up on Friday at BBY open box for a great price. They said the TV was returned because the customer didn't care for how it looked in their house. Basically, this set is replacing a Mitsu 60" DLP (I had an "adventure" with a Sharp LED over the last week but due to a dead pixel ended up returning). I have to say, this set blows away anything I've had before. Colors are richer than the DLP and the motion is so much smoother than the LED I had.

The only hiccup I've noticed is this: my wife and I were watching Harry Potter DH2 (1080i) last night on HBO and during the scenes where the movie fades to black, once the scene is black, the screen shuts off then blinks back on when the scene returns. This happened during the credits as well, when each credit would fade in and fade out. I didn't have the power saving feature on (the set was in Cinema Mode.) This isn't a deal breaker for me or anything, I got a good price on the set. I'm just wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue, if it's just something plasmas do, or if it's indicative of a larger issue.

#808 ·
I have had the 60pv250 for about a month now and have only had a blu-ray hooked up and no cable. I installed a outside antanea a few days ago to pick up some OTA tv and hooked it up and found the channels just fine. My questions is this: is there a way to display the channel and show information using the on screen info even though I am not going through comcast and their box? Thanks

#809 ·
I just picked up a display model 60PV250 from Best Buy for a ridiculously low price. I'm coming from a Pioneer Kuro 5020FD, so it's going to be a little hard to get used to a decrease in picture quality, but I couldn't pass up the size bump, plus making a few hundred $. The black levels, while obviously horrendous compared to the Kuro, aren't as bad as I though after reading through this thread. I've already applied the calibrated settings found on page 3, and they look pretty close to the calibrated picture I had on the Kuro, so I'm happy with them. Overall I'm pretty satisfied. The screen is like a mirror with any light on, as others have posted. Luckily 99% of my viewing is done at night. I'm tempted to do the voltage mod to get better blacks, but am very wary of the idea of changing something like that. I do have a couple questions that I didn't see, or remember seeing (the thread is 27 pages long after all) when reading through everything.

1) My kids favorite shows are Shawn the Sheep and Rugrats. I'm playing them with Netflix through an Apple TV. Both these shows are 4:3, so on my Kuro I would always use the Wide aspect ratio to stretch the picture to fill the screen. I can't seem to do that on the LG. I went through all the aspect settings, and none of them fill a 4:3 picture to the 16:9 screen. Am I crazy, or is there really no way to do this? Seems like a big oversight if there isn't.

2) I noticed with a blu-ray the info displayed on the tv shows the source as 1080p/24Hz. Is there any way to make sure the tv is actually refreshing at 72Hz (3:3 pulldown) when displaying this content? I know the spec sheet says it does, but I want to make sure. I couldn't find a menu option that was specifically to ensure 3:3 pulldown is happening. Film Mode is on, but I'm confused as to what this setting does. Some say it is for 3:3 pulldown, while others say it is for deinterlacing content. I'm inclined to think it's for deinterlacing as I can only switch between on/off when displaying 1080i. It's grayed out when playing a blu-ray.

Thanks for any help in answering these two questions.

#810 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypistol /forum/post/21513418

Played with the setting a little bit, and found that the issue doesnt occur on standard setting... gonna have to play with those settings. Standard is a little bright for me so ill have to adjust and hopefully itll keep it from happenining

It's been a few months since you posted this, but I just picked up one of these pv450's myself and noticed during the credit scenes of movies when titles fade out and the screen is supposed to be completely black the screen appears to blink off and then back on when new titles fade in. Is this the problem you were originally describing? You were able to resolve it with your tv using Standard settings? have you had any more issues with the tv?

#811 ·
I'm not sure about 60PV250 but on the 60PV450 yes it does display 24fps properly. You can verify by switching 24fps output on your BluRay player on and off. Then pop in a BluRay with 24fps content and watch scrolling ending credits or any across screen pans. You should see a difference. 24fps' goal isn't to smooth out the pan, it's just to display it accurately without modification.

Also when testing for this, you should set the display to 'just scan.' This will enable 1-to-1 pixel mapping making detection of the difference easier during the scrolling credits.

#812 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by razel /forum/post/22026003

I'm not sure about 60PV250 but on the 60PV450 yes it does display 24fps properly. You can verify by switching 24fps output on your BluRay player on and off. Then pop in a BluRay with 24fps content and watch scrolling ending credits or any across screen pans. You should see a difference. 24fps' goal isn't to smooth out the pan, it's just to display it accurately without modification.

Also when testing for this, you should set the display to 'just scan.' This will enable 1-to-1 pixel mapping making detection of the difference easier during the scrolling credits.

Thanks for the answer to my second question. I'll give it a try tonight when I get home from work. Now, can anyone answer my first question? I'm concerned with the higher black levels I might get uneven levels from the frequent black bars on the sides. I had a Samsung plasma a few years ago that did that.

#813 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeg36 /forum/post/0

Thanks for the answer to my second question. I'll give it a try tonight when I get home from work. Now, can anyone answer my first question? I'm concerned with the higher black levels I might get uneven levels from the frequent black bars on the sides. I had a Samsung plasma a few years ago that did that.

I adjusted mine today so my daughter could watch Netflix without black pillar bars.

Q.Menu>Aspect Ratio>Cinema Zoom

Then select Cinema Zoom again. You should see a menu with up, down, left, right options. Click the right option and adjust zoom to 16.

#814 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthem11 /forum/post/22030881

I adjusted mine today so my daughter could watch Netflix without black pillar bars.

Q.Menu>Aspect Ratio>Cinema Zoom

Then select Cinema Zoom again. You should see a menu with up, down, left, right options. Click the right option and adjust zoom to 16.

Thanks, I'll give that a try when I get home. Seems like a complicated way to do it. I'm getting more and more tempted to do the voltage adjustments, but I really don't want to risk messing it up. I noticed a HUGE difference when watching 24p content properly rendered at 72Hz. It makes me think my Kuro wasn't displaying it properly, even though I had the it set to. It didn't pan nearly as smooth and fluid as the LG does. I love it.

#816 ·
I'm getting really tempted to make the voltage changed, but am still really concerned about damage, both short and long term. Is there anyone still monitoring this thread that made the voltage changes, and haven't had any negative impact from it? People first started making them around 9 months ago. I'd love better blacks, but am really concerned about messing with something I don't fully understand.

#817 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatestalltime /forum/post/22056945

I guess know one has an answer for the flickering. My tv was fine for a couple of months. It now does it bad on gray or white backgrounds. I will return it to Costco I guess.

I foolishly didn't buy from Costco so I'm out of luck on returning to store at this point. As I noted in a prior post the service people LG sent out refuse to acknowledge its a problem with the TV. There are people in this thread who got it fixed but I suppose once they got it fixed they are just enjoying their TV and not checking this thread. Maybe if I have a spare hour or two I'll re-read the entire thread and PM them. Probably won't bother with an LG again.

#818 ·
Does lowering the sharpness help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by njligernj /forum/post/22079847

I foolishly didn't buy from Costco so I'm out of luck on returning to store at this point. As I noted in a prior post the service people LG sent out refuse to acknowledge its a problem with the TV. There are people in this thread who got it fixed but I suppose once they got it fixed they are just enjoying their TV and not checking this thread. Maybe if I have a spare hour or two I'll re-read the entire thread and PM them. Probably won't bother with an LG again.

#820 ·
Hello all, new here.....

I have just purchased the 60PV400, and I am trying to understand the picture adjustments (or lack of) on this TV.

I find them to be lacking for an HDTV set. All be it a "bottom of the line" set for features! Very dissapointed that the USB port is non-functional!

What I have done is use the settings that were posted at the beginning of this thread. What I find is that all of the settings, no matter wich one I put it on, the picture is very dark. I have tried Standard, Game, ASF, all of them, and of course the set the Expert1 mode as mentioned in this thread.

Seems to me that all of them are very dark. Even if I try to up the "brightness", close to 100, I still cant get a nice crisp bright picture.

Am I missing something on this TV?? Almost seems like something obvious is set incorrectly and I am over looking it...

I am sure not pleased with what I have seen for a picture so far, and I read so many reviews of how people loved the picture on this TV before I actually bought it.

Any help appreciated!!

#823 ·
I just purchased the 60PV450. Could someone please tell me how to get into the menu where I can check the hours on the set? I got into a service menu that has all calibration setting & whatnot. I used a RCA remote that I used on a lg5700. I would just like to find a screen that would show how many hours the set has.

#824 ·
If someone finds this post useful, great!

I have have a 60" PV450 and really like how it looks now.

I didn't really care for the settings that were posted earlier in this thread (but I do appreciate people sharing them). The settings were too dark, not vibrant and very.blah looking to me. I enjoy these settings much better.

Here's the picture settings that I have settled on after three months of owning the TV.

Dark's are dark, color's are bright (but not bleeding), white's are white.

These settings look really good on my set for cable TV and when using the HDMI input from my computer that is set for 1080p.

Energy Saving: Off

Picture Mode: Sport

Contrast: 81

Brightness: 40

Sharpness: 54

Color: 42

Tint: 0

Color Temperature: W8

Advanced Control Section

Dynamic Contrast: Off

Dynamic Color: Off

Noise Reduction: Low

Gamma: Medium

Black Level: Low

Film Mode: Off

Color Gamut: Wide

Edge Enhancer: Off

#825 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Van Sykes  /t/1346417/2011-lg-xxpv450-and-400-owners-thread/810#post_22213233

If someone finds this post useful, great!

I have have a 60" PV450 and really like how it looks now.

I didn't really care for the settings that were posted earlier in this thread (but I do appreciate people sharing them). The settings were too dark, not vibrant and very.blah looking to me. I enjoy these settings much better.

Here's the picture settings that I have settled on after three months of owning the TV.

Dark's are dark, color's are bright (but not bleeding), white's are white.

These settings look really good on my set for cable TV and when using the HDMI input from my computer that is set for 1080p.

Energy Saving: Off

Picture Mode: Sport

Contrast: 81

Brightness: 40

Sharpness: 54

Color: 42

Tint: 0

Color Temperature: W8

Advanced Control Section

Dynamic Contrast: Off

Dynamic Color: Off

Noise Reduction: Low

Gamma: Medium

Black Level: Low

Film Mode: Off

Color Gamut: Wide

Edge Enhancer: Off

thanks for your settings!

#826 ·
Does anyone have an explanation on why there are so many varying ranges of volume on some TVs? When I have my Xbox on, I am in the 7 to 10 audio level range for good sound. Live TV is around 13. DVR'd TV is around 25. Blu rays are usually around 35 to 40. I watched the Batman Begins and The Dark Knight blu rays over the weekend and had to turn the TV up to 90 in order to hear the movie at a good level. I do not have a sound system hooked up to the TV. I have read that some movies set their volume high, in order to take advantage of surround sound systems, but 90 seems pretty ridiculous. Do HDMI cables or anything like that play a role? Do the devices, like the particular blu ray player, have a big role? Or is it just disc to disc differences? Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.