AVS Forum banner
447K views 4K replies 476 participants last post by  tongshadow 
#1 ·
This is the owners thread for the Samsung PNXXE7000/8000.

I have a Samsung pn60e8000, which was a replacement for my Samsung PN59D8000. I think over all the E seies has better PQ than the D series. Darker blacks, color is on par with last years excellent performance, and the new dual core chip really speeds up the use of apps and browser. Also the new internet browser is much faster and easier to use, and it is a full web browser , most web browsers on tv's are not full web browser's. The new features like face recognition is great and works very well, it does a great job. If you have an account and you are using the tv, it takes you right to your account. If you have an account and are in the room with several other people it shows all the people and displays those with accounts and without, giving you the option to sign into your account or allowing a person to make their own account. The voice control works very well, even in a room with people talking, the remote itself also has a mic to help in this situation.The voice control can be a bit finicky as you need to know the commands and must speak clearly. Also, there is a 1.5 second delay from when you speak until it reacts, but as for the web browser part I can tell you it is still much faster than typing. The motion control works but can be a bit sluggish, you need to learn the appropriate motions then it will work well, also lighting conditions can interfere with it, you need to atleast have a lamp on. I have not noticed any under or over scan issues. I have also not noticed any white "pops" - I did view a hockey game and there were some small greyish area's whithin the white at times. I am talking about when the screen is almost totally white, if you look very close you can notice this but it is very subtle.The screen was brilliant white and trying to look at these was very painful to my eye's. I watched avatar, alice in wonderland,tangled and Imax under the sea , all in 3d and there was no xtalk or ghosting . I did however notice the slightest xtalk when using the 2d-3d feature but it was very minamal. I tested gaming and it was great - even in very fast motion scenes. Also did mw3 in 3d and again great performance. There was no lag issue with out using the game mode setting. if you guys have any questions please feel free to ask.

god bless

See less See more
#1,312 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiotypE /forum/post/22059576

Hmm, I wonder if this is a settings thing. I have played many games on my st50 and there is no more or less judder on it than the d7000 I had last year or any of the other plasma I have owned.

You commented on clarity between the gt50 and e8000, can you elaborate on that?

Still missing my pn64E8000's - I cycled through 3 over 1 1/2 months, but sadly the P60GT50 is much quieter so that's what I am watching now. The following is an opinion with no measurements as in the end what I see matters, not what some meter says.

Softness - the Samsung appeared much sharper/brighter. It probably is what led me to buy it. The GT50 leaves a feeling that there is a thin veil over the screen. For example, text can appear not as well defined - picture has a very slight out-of-focus look. Now I understand this might be a calibration thing - not sure, but the GT50 has THX modes and custom that I tried to adjust using the WoW disc. Some people have it much worse than me from pictures I saw posted in the GT50 thread.

3D - again the Samsung was clear and bright - the Panny is acceptable.

Gaming - Assassin's Creed for example plays better on the Samsung and seems very responsive playing multi-user. No gaming issues were encountered and it was an upgrade to our other plasma. The GT50 gives my daughter a headache now after one or two hours I think due to ... maybe its judder. In both cases we used gaming mode. Possibly adjusting the settings might reduce this effect.

I hear that the Panny's are suppose to be "better", but in my eye I prefer the Samsung display. Unfortunately, I found the E8000 to be a BuzzKill set, and the GT50 just a normal sounding plasma.

p.s. I am over 50 and still heard that buzz ...

#1,313 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyp /forum/post/22059880

Still missing my pn64E8000's - I cycled through 3 over 1 1/2 months, but sadly the P60GT50 is much quieter so that's what I am watching now. The following is an opinion with no measurements as in the end what I see matters, not what some meter says.

Softness - the Samsung appeared much sharper/brighter. It probably is what led me to buy it. The GT50 leaves a feeling that there is a thin veil over the screen. For example, text can appear not as well defined - picture has a very slight out-of-focus look. Now I understand this might be a calibration thing - not sure, but the GT50 has THX modes and custom that I tried to adjust using the WoW disc. Some people have it much worse than me from pictures I saw posted in the GT50 thread.

Gaming - Assassin's Creed for example plays better on the Samsung and seems very responsive playing multi-user. No gaming issues were encountered and it was an upgrade to our other plasma. The GT50 gives my daughter a headache now after one or two hours I think due to ... maybe its judder. In both cases we used gaming mode. Possibly adjusting the settings might reduce this effect.

I hear that the Panny's are suppose to be "better", but in my eye I prefer the Samsung display. Unfortunately, I found the E8000 to be a BuzzKill set, and the GT50 just a normal sounding plasma.

wow lenny great response. thanks for the input as well, I now know that I'm not alone with that "out of focus" feeling thats been really bugging me. Its too bad that between the two sets each have their own distinctive and annoying drawbacks.

#1,314 ·

Quote:

I hear that the Panny's are suppose to be "better", but in my eye I prefer the Samsung display.

Better is whatever works best for you; anyone telling you anything different is either pushing an agenda or trying to sell you something.

Regarding the "softness" that you describe, can you post an up-close photo of some text? Not really sure if that is possible or not - I'll try with my own camera on my e8000. I'm just curious to see what you describe.

#1,315 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by deria /forum/post/22059998

Better is whatever works best for you; anyone telling you anything different is either pushing an agenda or trying to sell you something.

Regarding the "softness" that you describe, can you post an up-close photo of some text? Not really sure if that is possible or not - I'll try with my own camera on my e8000. I'm just curious to see what you describe.

Check the image on the GT50 Owners forum - should be last page of thread or one before it. I'm at work right now.

#1,316 ·
Input lag is a big question for me too. I can definitely feel it in movie mode, but it is reduced a lot in game mode. That said, movie mode isn't as bad as my 2010 C8000, but I'm unsure if game mode is as good.

Either way, the fact that you're stuck with standard mode is a pain as far as getting an accurate picture. Yes, I know they're videogames, but I like to have an accurate picture. I'm going to pick up the WOW disc tonight and see if I can get it close to movie mode....even though I know it won't be perfect. I've contacted Samsung about the buzzing on my E8000 and asked if I could be refunded the cost of the television or at least work out an exchange at my local bestbuy. I took this set after my C8000 failed under warranty. They had me pay $200, or I could take a refund of $1,300. At this point though, I may be better off accepting the refund and purchasing the set local so that I don't have to go through a repair process that causes me to miss work. I hate to play the exchange game, but I need to try and find a set that buzzes at least a little less.

#1,317 ·
Thanks for all of the information, that is exactly the types of comparisons I was looking for. I am going to go ahead and order a E7000 to do a direct comparison and just keep whichever set I feel is better. Again to everyone, I greatly appreciate all our input and observations.

Once I have some time with both of them in my home I will post my observations as well.

#1,318 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiotypE /forum/post/22060104

Thanks for all of the information, that is exactly the types of comparisons I was looking for. I am going to go ahead and order a E7000 to do a direct comparison and just keep whichever set I feel is better. Again to everyone, I greatly appreciate all our input and observations.

Once I have some time with both of them in my home I will post my observations as well.

Sounds great, keep us posted! really thinking about doing the same as well.

Any actual PQ difference between the e7000 & e8000? Many here are saying they're the same minus the extra features, but isn't the e8000 supposed to have a better 'black filter' or whatever they call it?

#1,319 ·

Quote:

I couldn't agree with you more. Every professional review favors the 2012 Panasonics's over the 2012 Samsung plasma television's but my eyes tell me that the Samsung looks better, that's why I brought the 60E7000 and let's face it, in television viewing, it's all about the picture quality. It appears that if you, like myself, want the picture quality that you like in the Samsung, you have to put up with the buzzing. What P***ses me off is why Samsung put us in this position. Panasonic had a lot of problems with their 2011 models "brightness POPS, buzzing etc, but to their credit, in their 2012 models according to their spokesmen at CES 2012 redesigned their 2012 plasma's and by all user feedback on the ST50, GT50 and VT50 models, all the problems that plagued the 2011 Panasonic models have been largely fixed. But Samsung, with 3 generations of plasma buzzers will not fix the problem.

Before I brought my 60E7000, I did a lot of visual comparison's between Panasonic and Samsung and the Panasonic picture quality to me is too soft, un-detailed and lacked brightness and clarity. All the things that I like in the Samsung 60E7000 that I brought. Right now I'm waiting for a Samsung authorized repair technician to come to my house to "Inspect" the buzzing on my Samsung. Instead of Just doing an RMA on the 60E7000 and returning it to Crutchfield.com where I brought it, I'm going to try and get a "Non-buzzer" from Samsung. They are responsible for this problem, not Crutchfield.com. And if it takes doing this 3 or 4 times then so be it.

I don't know why Samsung won't fix this buzzing problem in their plasma televisions but, of course, whatever the reason it must have something to do with $$$ but in the end they're going to pay for it in other ways. Loss of customer trust and dissatisfaction, damage to their reputation not to mention all the tons of plasma returns the retailers have to deal with. I don't know where all the returned Samsung D/E 7000/8000 plasma's go but they must go somewhere and and somebody, somewhere has to bear the financial cost of all those RMA's and returns and that can't make Samsung look to good in the eyes of their retailer clients.

#1,320 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by airman23 /forum/post/22060387

all those RMA's and returns and that can't make Samsung look to good in the eyes of their retailer clients.

^ This sentiment is what makes me question how widespread the buzzing issue really is. Samsung is a) still in business and b) sold by every major retailer. If the buzzing was as pronounced as this thread suggests, every retailer would have a literal -firestorm- of returns and the retailer would simply switch to a product that causes them less hassle. It isn't like the retailers are required to sell Samsung, and no retailer in their right mind would tolerate a high level of returns on big-ticket items.

The thing people have to remember is that -- regardless of what product is involved -- for every person complaining on an Internet forum, there could be thousands of people silently not experiencing any issues. Not many people sign in to a forum and post to sing the praises of a product -- but everyone is happy to sign into a forum to state their dis-satisfaction (and there is nothing wrong with that; it is the way the world works). That may be particularly true of AVSForum, where virtually everyone has hyper-focused expectations regarding product quality.

What surprises me is that Samsung doesn't have at least one person monitoring AVSForum and participating in threads and answering questions. It frankly stuns me that they don't see the incredible amount of goodwill that would earn them, and goodwill translates to sales. IE: If I saw smart, knowledgeable posts from a Samsung employee regarding the capabilities of thier TV and offering advice on how to overcome or deal with problems, I'd be alot more inclined to lean their way in any purchasing decision I made. (As it turns out, I went with Samsung anyway, but you get the point.)

#1,322 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by deria /forum/post/22060532

^ This sentiment is what makes me question how widespread the buzzing issue really is. Samsung is a) still in business and b) sold by every major retailer. If the buzzing was as pronounced as this thread suggests, every retailer would have a literal -firestorm- of returns and the retailer would simply switch to a product that causes them less hassle. It isn't like the retailers are required to sell Samsung, and no retailer in their right mind would tolerate a high level of returns on big-ticket items...

I understand that logic, we are constantly reminded of it around here, but I still feel the buzzing must be more widespread than "less than 1%" of their plasmas. The thing is, the intensity of the noise is probably all over the map, but it must be relatively common given the large number of people who have been through 3, 4, even 5 exchanges without success. I imagine most people simply tolerate it (in fact, I DO!). Those that can't or won't tolerate it may have gotten a particularly bad set, or they are more sensitive to it for whatever reason (hearing, room acoustics, etc.). I'm also certain Samsung CAN make them buzz-free, but probably not cost effectively.

My guess is they look at it as a high frequency noise that won't bother most people enough to go through the inconvenience of returns/exchanges, and they let it go. The fact that they are still profitable in the plasma business would suggest their logic is sound.

#1,323 ·

Quote:

What surprises me is that Samsung doesn't have at least one person monitoring AVSForum and participating in threads and answering questions. It frankly stuns me that they don't see the incredible amount of goodwill that would earn them, and goodwill translates to sales. IE: If I saw smart, knowledgeable posts from a Samsung employee regarding the capabilities of thier TV and offering advice on how to overcome or deal with problems, I'd be alot more inclined to lean their way in any purchasing decision I made. (As it turns out, I went with Samsung anyway, but you get the point.)

Excellent point. As an example, I'll mention the Micca media player I have been involved with in another thread. That unit has had a good share of growing pains, and even a hardware-related recall, and I have gone through several returns with them on the unit. However, there is a company rep that frequents the thread here on AVS and keeps us informed regularly on what is happening with firmware updates, issues, stock, etc. - and that goes a long way towards earning my trust. I get the feeling they want to listen to their customers, unlike some other media player companies I won't mention, that have a forum but totally ignore all questions and input.

Unfortunately I get the feeling that many large companies like Samsung just couldn't be bothered to frequent a forum like this and engage in direct feedback - my guess is then they would be required to actually address the issues we bring up. It's easier to just turn a blind eye and ignore feedback and count your money. I guess it takes a small company to really "get" your customers.

Funny thing is, it could actually help reduce returns, since I bet some returns could be avoided if there was a rep here to help clear up some of the confusion and tech-related questions that the phone reps are totally incapable of answering.

#1,324 ·
Oh yeah, based on my own (and other forum members) interactions with Samsung and their service techs, they most definitely cannot be bothered. Without doubt, they devote an absolute bare minimum to product support as it is, and their CS can be embarrassingly ignorant. Of course, the same can be said for Panasonic and many other big guys.

Shockingly we did get the FBr "fix" from Samsung for the D series, at least for a month or so before they mysteriously pulled the plug. You might be able to give some of the credit for that to the internet forums, but who knows...

#1,325 ·

Quote:

^ This sentiment is what makes me question how widespread the buzzing issue really is. Samsung is a) still in business and b) sold by every major retailer. If the buzzing was as pronounced as this thread suggests, every retailer would have a literal -firestorm- of returns and the retailer would simply switch to a product that causes them less hassle. It isn't like the retailers are required to sell Samsung, and no retailer in their right mind would tolerate a high level of returns on big-ticket items.

The thing people have to remember is that -- regardless of what product is involved -- for every person complaining on an Internet forum, there could be thousands of people silently not experiencing any issues. Not many people sign in to a forum and post to sing the praises of a product -- but everyone is happy to sign into a forum to state their dis-satisfaction (and there is nothing wrong with that; it is the way the world works). That may be particularly true of AVSForum, where virtually everyone has hyper-focused expectations regarding product quality.

You could be right about this not being a widespread problem. The fact of the matter is they don't have anybody participating in these forums so apparently they just don't know or even worse don't care. I'd would dearly love to talk to someone high enough up on the Samsung food chain about this issue and hear what they have to say about it. By your logic which is good, my replacement Samsung 60E7000 should not be a buzzer, if the problem is in only a small percentage of their production models , we shall see but after reading some people going through 3 or more replacements then I get rather doubtful that the problem is only limited to a tiny fraction of units sold.

#1,326 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker /forum/post/22060979

Shockingly we did get the FBr "fix" from Samsung for the D series, at least for a month or so before they mysteriously pulled the plug. You might be able to give some of the credit for that to the internet forums, but who knows...

This was completely driven by complaints from this forum as evidenced by the magic phrase "brightness pops". As soon as you used that phrase with most reps your usb update was scheduled for delivery. I'm convinced they pulled the plug because the method they used to deliver the update (logic board flash via firmware update) was not fullproof.

#1,327 ·
Just saw on the Samsung support web site for the E7000 a firmware upgrade. It says.

1.This firmware is for TV Model(s): PN**E7000 and PN**E8000.

2. The version is 10178.2

3. This firmware update will improve the following: - Supports Samsung Wireless Audio Dock - Resolves compatibility issue with DLNA devices and network router/switch. - Improves picture quality. - Enhances Voice Recognition feature. - hange the TV Power On command from ''Hi TV'' to ''Hi TV Power On'' or ''Smart TV'' to ''Smart TV Power On.''

I don't think however it will fix the buzzing in my 60E7000.

#1,328 ·

Quote:

excellent post and a point well made

#1,329 ·
Well I'm happy to report something good about my 60E7000. The latest firmware upgrade that I just downloaded, version 001018 seems to have improved picture quality somewhat. I can see a improvement in color tone and perhaps a better black level. I of course can't confirm this as I have no test instruments but I can sense just by looking at the picture quality after downloading the firmware upgrade that the picture quality as improved noticeably and the picture quality was already good as far as I was concerned. So much the better.

#1,330 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 /forum/post/22058405

The reason the ST50 didn't work out for me, among smaller issues, is really I felt the 3D was not up to par - it had poor recognition of my side-by-side 3D files and the crosstalk was pretty bad overall. I love 3D (when done right like Hugo and IMAX) so I just couldn't see myself being happy with the ST50.

Overall, considering the excellent motion, great styling, compatibility with last year's 3D glasses, much improved 3D (less crosstalk if it's as good as last year's D7000), and some nice extras, I think this will be a perfect fit for me. And this is from someone who was very frustrated with Samsung because of their fluctuating brightness last year.

Have you confirmed the Samsung has no 3D crosstalk and good 3D recognition as well as the ability to manually activate 3D which apparently Panasonic doesn't allow (only auto)?

Also have you confirmed the Samsung doesn't have any FBR on Hockey and other such cases?

These are the two important issues apparently comparing with the Panasonic ST50/GT50 models now. So we anxiously await confirmation with direct comparison between those models.

#1,331 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer /forum/post/22062470

Have you confirmed the Samsung has no 3D crosstalk and good 3D recognition as well as the ability to manually activate 3D which apparently Panasonic doesn't allow (only auto)?

Also have you confirmed the Samsung doesn't have any FBR on Hockey and other such cases?

These are the two important issues apparently comparing with the Panasonic ST50/GT50 models now. So we anxiously await confirmation with direct comparison between those models.

i have a PN60E8000 does not to me seem to have cross talk i can tell you this i have a UN46D8000 the 3d on that set to me looks a little better maybe because LED is just a little brighter

i'm am very happy with the Plasma 3d on the PN60E8000

i also have a PN50E7000 the E8000 series is much better maybe because Blu-tooth glasses in my opinion

#1,332 ·
Samsung just continues to get me upset. After not being able to deal with the buzzing I had mentioned earlier in the replacement E8000, I called and asked for the refund I was initially offered, plus the $200 to upgrade to the E8000. The rep confirmed a refund of $1,207 for my C8000 plus $200 for the E8000. She said she would go ahead and put it through for me, but I asked if she could note the account. She agreed and said I could call back and just basically say "go". I wanted to discuss it with my wife and get her thoughts. She said "go ahead, and we'll just buy something somewhere else".

Today I called to say "Go", and suddenly the amount has changed to $1,047. The girl claims there are no notes and she won't budge. I....was....
After going back and forth I finally gave up and called back to get someone else. This person says "I SEE THE NOTES WHERE THEY PROMISED YOU $1,207". So the previous girl was not being truthful with me. The first girl also added notes of her own saying it should be $1,047. The second girl knew that it was a bad situation because I had already been promised $1,207 said she would submit for it, but if it's "disputed" I would get a call. I asked about the additional $200 and she said "that's separate", to which I replied "Which means????...what do I do then?" She said that I would get a call to figure that out.

This didn't sit well with me at all, so I finally called back again and now I'm currently on the phone with a girl who says she's changing it to reflect the $200 as well. Although she said she's going to "verify some numbers".

-Update: She came back saying "Oh, it shows you paid $350". That was the initial quote but it was knocked down to $200, which I told the girl. I'm not looking to get any money I'm not entitled to out of it. She later said that she finally saw where it was reduced and thanked me for being honest.

-Update: Now she's recalculating EVERYTHING. I'm waiting for the "Your number is actually $1,047" line again.

Now I purchased my new television last night based on the quoted amount Samsung promised me...shouldn't they have to honor that?

-Update: She wasn't honoring my value from the time I called for repair. Now she says she will honor the initial quote of $1,207 + $200. She's including the $200 so I would theoretically get a check for $1,407 as initially promised. She said she needs to word it properly so the refund department doesn't kick it back. Crazy stuff.

#1,333 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattlehead /forum/post/22063933

Samsung just continues to get me upset. After not being able to deal with the buzzing I had mentioned earlier in the replacement E8000, I called and asked for the refund I was initially offered, plus the $200 to upgrade to the E8000. The rep confirmed a refund of $1,207 for my C8000 plus $200 for the E8000. She said she would go ahead and put it through for me, but I asked if she could note the account. She agreed and said I could call back and just basically say "go". I wanted to discuss it with my wife and get her thoughts. She said "go ahead, and we'll just buy something somewhere else".

Today I called to say "Go", and suddenly the amount has changed to $1,047. The girl claims there are no notes and she won't budge. I....was....
After going back and forth I finally gave up and called back to get someone else. This person says "I SEE THE NOTES WHERE THEY PROMISED YOU $1,207". So the previous girl was not being truthful with me. The first girl also added notes of her own saying it should be $1,047. The second girl knew that it was a bad situation because I had already been promised $1,207 said she would submit for it, but if it's "disputed" I would get a call. I asked about the additional $200 and she said "that's separate", to which I replied "Which means????...what do I do then?" She said that I would get a call to figure that out.

This didn't sit well with me at all, so I finally called back again and now I'm currently on the phone with a girl who says she's changing it to reflect the $200 as well. Although she said she's going to "verify some numbers".

-Update: She came back saying "Oh, it shows you paid $350". That was the initial quote but it was knocked down to $200, which I told the girl. I'm not looking to get any money I'm not entitled to out of it. She later said that she finally saw where it was reduced and thanked me for being honest.

-Update: Now she's recalculating EVERYTHING. I'm waiting for the "Your number is actually $1,047" line again.

Now I purchased my new television last night based on the quoted amount Samsung promised me...shouldn't they have to honor that?

-Update: She wasn't honoring my value from the time I called for repair. Now she says she will honor the initial quote of $1,207 + $200. She's including the $200 so I would theoretically get a check for $1,407 as initially promised. She said she needs to word it properly so the refund department doesn't kick it back. Crazy stuff.

Now, are you going to take back all the nasty stuff you said about Samsung CS?
lol

#1,334 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstew419 /forum/post/22064153

Now, are you going to take back all the nasty stuff you said about Samsung CS?
lol

Not really, as I spoke facts. I had a representative lie to me, treat me with disrespect and act like I was making up a story. The next one gave me misinformation as well. These "mistakes" take money out of my pocket, which I'm not alright with. When it comes to your wallet, these companies should work with you instead of trying to rip you off.

That being said, I have nothing but praise for Alicia, the final rep I spoke with. She is the only person who questioned why I was being told different amounts, acknowledged the notes that the first rep said were not there, and above all, seemed like she gave a damn. She was extremely pleasant, even joking with me about how she hates having to argue with the refund department. She gave me her direct extension as well if anyone requires additional clarification. I give her credit where it's due.

Keep in mind, the refund department could still reject submission, which is another fight. I won't pass judgement on them until I see what happens.

#1,335 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattlehead /forum/post/22064232

Not really, as I spoke facts. I had a representative lie to me, treat me with disrespect and act like I was making up a story. The next one gave me misinformation as well. These "mistakes" take money out of my pocket, which I'm not alright with. When it comes to your wallet, these companies should work with you instead of trying to rip you off.

That being said, I have nothing but praise for Alicia, the final rep I spoke with. She is the only person who questioned why I was being told different amounts, acknowledged the notes that the first rep said were not there, and above all, seemed like she gave a damn. She was extremely pleasant, even joking with me about how she hates having to argue with the refund department. She gave me her direct extension as well if anyone requires additional clarification. I give her credit where it's due.

Keep in mind, the refund department could still reject submission, which is another fight. I won't pass judgement on them until I see what happens.

Understandable ... well so far sounds like it's on the right track, hopefully it works out for you...good luck!

#1,336 ·
Attached is the calibrator's scorecard from the event. The E8000 tied for 1st in video quality - General Content, and took second in overall average score, sharp was third.

VT50 - 9.33

E8000 - 8.88

Elite - 7.95

Attachments