Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2012
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 125 minutes
Genre: Drama/War

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1, English Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Nate Parker, David Oyelowo, Ne-Yo, Elijah Kelly, Tristan Wilds, Gerald McCraney, Bryan Cranston, Cuba Gooding Jr. Terrence Howard
Directed by: Anthony Hemingway
Music by: Terence Blanchard
Written by: John Ridley & Aaron McGruder
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: May 22, 2012

"Courage has no color"

Film Synopsis:

Italy, 1944. As the war takes its toll on Allied forces in Europe, a squadron of black pilots known as the Tuskegee Airmen, are finally given the chance to prove themselves in the sky... even as they battle discrimination on the ground. Featuring jaw-dropping aerial action and thrilling special effects, RED TAILS is a breathtaking tribute to the unsung heroes who rose above extraordinary challenges and ultimately soared into history.

My Take:

The story of the Tuskegee Airmen is an amazing part of our history. Taking on such big subject matter for portrayal in a dramatic film is no simple task. Produced by George Lucas/Lucasfilm Red Tails is a fictionalized story based on events that surround the 332nd Squadron based on Italy during World War II. I tend to enjoy films that are based on actual events/people especially when it involves historically significant material. I had high hopes for Red Tails, unfortunately the script’s fragmented, clichéd and somewhat corny narrative has a rather narrow scope that when it comes to conveying the poignancy of the struggle for equality and respect suffered by these men who simply wanted to fight for their country never truly rises to stirring levels. Looking at it from a Hollywood/drama perspective Red Tails has something to offer although it remains hampered by a problematic script. At times I found some of the dialogue and situations to venture into campy/melodramatic territory that teetered on mawkishness. I liked the variety of characters/personalities among the members of the squadron and was engaged by the personal nature of their interaction. The action sequences and production elements are entertaining which when combined with the depiction of these events which speak to the human condition make this a (flawed but) watchable film. I appreciate the spirit and thematic tone of Red Tails but those hoping for an evocative, accurate and fulfilling docudrama will probably be disappointed. Going in with reserved expectations may make for an more enjoyable experience.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for dome sequences or war violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 86

• Dynamics:

• Low frequency extension:

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Dialogue Reproduction:

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail:

• Color reproduction:

• Fleshtones:

• Compression:

Red Tails comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 26 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.6 Mbps.

Shot in high definition this is a pristine video presentation that looks great. Images are transparent with exquisite detail and a near infinite sense of depth. Fidelity is never in question regardless of perspective. At times I found the visual style to be visually engaging. Primary colors appear natural and secondary chromatic elements are kept within the scope of the historical time frame which means lots of browns, grays, greens and blacks. Blue and gray tones permeate several of the CGI based background elements. The various shades of gray/light blue have appreciable gradational steps that enhance depth. Skin tones are lustrous, tonally rich and chock full of fine textural nuance. Blacks are dynamic and stable. Contrast is bold and punchy without overdriving whites/grays and washing out detail. This is a dimensional and definitively resolute video presentation that features impeccable high definition imagery.

This Lossless DTS-HD MA surround mix accents the video presentation and makes regular use of the entire system to drive the film’s elements. This is a well balanced and active soundtrack that features pulsating bass that reaches far into the room to augment the dynamic impact associated with the films action based elements and music score. The surround channels are actively engaged with a blend of discretely placed sounds and spatial ambience that fills the room. Dynamic range is extended and visceral at times when combined with the high level of sonic detail present in the recording. I never had any trouble discerning subtle vocal inflections or the presence of low level sounds that were contained in the background. The mix facilitates seamless integration of the front and rear channels which creates a stable and well proportioned listening experience that is complimented by rich, room resonating bass that has excellent palpability and tight extension.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Double victory: The Tuskegee Airmen at war – 65 minute documentary (narrated by Cuba Gooding Jr.)

• (HD) Geroge Lucas: Executive Producer – 3 minute featurette

• (HD) Anthony Hemingway: Director – 5 minute featurette

• (HD) Terence Blanchard: Composer – 6 minute featurette

• (HD) The cast of Red Tails – 25 minute featurette

• (HD) Movie Magic – 5 minute production featurette

• Bonus DVD

Final Thoughts:

The story of the Tuskegee Airmen is an amazing part of our history. Taking on such big subject matter for portrayal in a dramatic film is no simple task. Produced by George Lucas/Lucasfilm Red Tails is a fictionalized story based on events that surround the 332nd Squadron based on Italy during World War II. I had high hopes for Red Tails and while I acknowledge its spirit/tone it only skims the surface of its excellent subject matter and results in a flawed (but watchable) dramatic film that will leave those desirous of an engaging, accurate and fulfilling docudrama disappointed. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring excellent high definition audio/video quality and a strong supplemental offering that is highlighted by a documentary on the Tuskegee Airmen. It is worth a rental especially during this time of year.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector

Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen

Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor

Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier

Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control

Canton "Ergo" Series speakers

Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers

SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)

APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator

Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

See less See more
#3 ·
I really enjoyed this movie--flawed our otherwise. As an Air Force retiree, anything that explores the history of US air power is of interest to me, and this is an fascinating story. Sure it was flawed in its scope and accuracy but it told a fine story none the less and it depicted the airmen of the 332d as courageous aviators--and for me, that made it well worth taking the time to see it. I suppose the bad reviews of this movie (and there are many) are written in the same style as those written about Pearl Harbor (another one of my favorite war movies). I guess when it comes to this type of story, I am much more forgiving than most movie fans--and critics. I may add it to my blu ray collection when the price comes down--I watched Red Tails via iTunes on my ATV2. I rated it 4/5.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritfox /forum/post/22059756

I really enjoyed this movie--flawed our otherwise. As an Air Force retiree, anything that explores the history of US air power is of interest to me, and this is an fascinating story. Sure it was flawed in its scope and accuracy but it told a fine story none the less and it depicted the airmen of the 332d as courageous aviators--and for me, that made it well worth taking the time to see it. I suppose the bad reviews of this movie (and there are many) are written in the same style as those written about Pearl Harbor (another one of my favorite war movies). I guess when it comes to this type of story, I am much more forgiving than most movie fans--and critics. I may add it to my blu ray collection when the price comes down--I watched Red Tails via iTunes on my ATV2. I rated it 4/5.

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Bob and I am glad that you really enjoyed Red Tails.

Regards,

#7 ·
I bought this BR yesterday afternoon and watched it last night. I concur with Mr. Potts' review completely.

Kinda fun and interesting at times, yet WAY too "syrupy sweet" overall . . .

The soundtrack was MUCH better than the content . . .

#9 ·

Quote:

While I dislike Pearl Harbor overall, it is very watchable and if this movie is in the same category, it sounds like it's at least worth a rental. Thanks.

#10 ·
QUOTE=Rach;22060654]While I dislike Pearl Harbor overall, it is very watchable and if this movie is in the same category, it sounds like it's at least worth a rental. Thanks.[/quote]

Yes, actually it's better than Pearl overall, although I enjoy the AQ more in Pearl Harbor. But for me PH starts as we see the Japenese planes take flight and ends after the attack, makes for a short but extremely enjoyable experience.

I had low expectations going into Redtails and, for me, they were exceeded. Some of the dialoge between the 2 main pilots can be annoying and the script is campy, but I expected that from the reviews. I love anything with WWI or WWII flying in it and this was a blast to watch.

cheers

#11 ·
I figured "Red Tails" wouldn't hold a candle to "The Tuskegee Airmen" (with Laurence Fishburne) but I'll rent it anyway. Like spiritfox I love anything related to US air power, mainly because I grew up as an Air Force brat whose father flew in almost everything from B-17's to B-52's. As a kid my favorite TV show was "12 O'clock High".

If you haven't seen it I highly recommend "The Tuskegee Airmen".

#12 ·
Thanks Ralph for all your thoughts on this unique history, now I'm curious to aquire this BluRay title to do a home viewing as well as check out the special feature content. I feel much compelled and obligated to provide my personal experience regarding this movie as well:

I caught "Red Tails" on the opening night (on a friday night in Pasadena, Calif). Was kind of a exciting night at the theater, many proud Pasadena folks with smiles on their faces eager to walk into the theater. Many wearing Tuskegee Airmen baseball caps and shirts and memorabillia.

After all the anticipation I thought the movie was pretty good in general and somewhat exciting, especially how they captured the flight battle scenes (expected from George Lucas I guess), gave you a great feel of flight. The story seemed to focus on the main points. Everyone stood up and gave a standing ovation at the end. I felt proud.

However I was a little dissapointed with certain aspects of the screenplay, the character dipictions at times seemed a bit corny. Typical charismatic cliche black personalities (as if they were back on the plantation in some scenes). Just seemed to miss a lot of detail (that I had hoped to see). I was a little suprised that George Lucas and his staff settled for this depiction.

Remember the Spike Lee film "Miracle at St. Anna" a few years back depicting the black Army company which miraculously fought-off Germans while ascending a steep Italian mountain village? That screenplay was written and beautifully directed, very dynamic story. I was hoping for something as dynamic with Red Tails, but with it's own originality.

Anyway, below is the Los Angeles Times review of "Red Tails", check it out, see what you think.......

Dave

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Michael Phillips, for The Los Angeles Times

January 20, 2012

"Red Tails" squanders a great subject, reducing the real-life struggles and fierce heroics of the Tuskegee Airmen to rickety cliché. Some of the action's fun. But if something about that statement doesn't sound right, well, there's

your chief problem with "Red Tails." It sets out to ingratiate without provocation or complexity.

This much can be said of producer George Lucas' long-gestating project: It avoids the aggravating Hollywood strategy of telling an African American story by way of a mass-marketable white protagonist, a la the Civil War drama "Glory." It's actually about the people it's about, in other words.

But Lucas has overseen a movie divided against itself, part "Clone Wars"-aesthetic kicks, part dutiful sociology. The script, confining the action to 1944 Italy, places the occasional grown-up sentiment in a character's mouth, as when one member of the 332nd Fighter Group tells another: "Don't be in a hurry to get to the killing part." Yet the movie can't wait to get to the killing part, rendered here in computer-generated aerial dogfights a little too in love with the available filmmaking technology and a little too disinterested in the characters doing the shooting.

The focus is on a fictional group of men stationed at Ramitelli Airfield. Hard-drinking squadron leader Marty "Easy" Julian (Nate Parker) is the by-the-book contrast to his best friend, the Jedi whiz of the bunch, Joe

"Lightning" Little (David Oyelowo). Coffee, the chief mechanic, is played by Andre Royo, one of several supporting players who worked with director Anthony Hemingway on "The Wire." (Lucas himself directed the reshoots.) The marquee names belong to Terrence Howard and Cuba Gooding Jr., offering complementary portraits in unflappable leadership as a proud colonel and a pipe-smoking major, respectively.

Producer Lucas, director Hemingway and his writers, John Ridley and "Boondocks" creator Aaron McGruder, aren't going for serious business here. As McGruder said in the film's promotional materials, "Red Tails" offers "a comic-book feel that only George Lucas could bring to a film." He added: "Before this, we didn't have our John Wayne, but we now have that kind of larger-than-life treatment, and the Tuskegee Airmen deserve it."

Yes, and they also deserve some dramatic vitality and plausibility. If you go to "Red Tails" to learn anything (even heavily fictionalized things) about the origin of the Tuskegee Airmen or the workaday racism they had to endure, you will be disappointed. When Howard's defiant colonel upbraids the Pentagon brass over their disdain for his men, the sequence is straight out of a comic book, per co-writer McGruder's description. But if we can't believe a scene such as this one would ever have happened that way, not in a million Earth years, then there's no real gratification in it.

Little romances a local beauty, while Julian loses faith in his leadership skills. Sick of being sidelined and marginalized in the war, the men of the 332nd finally get the equipment and the approval they need to prove themselves in the air, primarily as protection for bombers delivering their payloads. But "Red Tails" runs into serious storytelling snags, particularly in its episodic second half. The writing is self-conscious in the extreme, whether spoken by Germans ("My God!" says the nemesis the Red Tails nickname "Pretty Boy" — "those pilots are African!") or a white American prisoner of war ("I guess there's a lot more to you ******** than we thought") or a fellow pilot of the 332nd Fighter Group ("Congratulations, Captain — you are the first ***** to shoot down a Jerry!").

The actors do all they can. But Lucas and company did not get the script right with this one, which is the single, dubious link "Red Tails" has to "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull."

mjphillips@tribune.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#14 ·
I rented this two day's ago,i enjoyed the movie. There were some talk that it supported 11.1? not sure if it's true or not. But i thought on the bass side was a little quiet for me,had to turn the sub gain a little higher then i use to. Other wise,i recommend this as well. Great sound mix.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDigitalGuy05 /forum/post/0

I rented this two day's ago,i enjoyed the movie. There were some talk that it supported 11.1? not sure if it's true or not. But i thought on the bass side was a little quiet for me,had to turn the sub gain a little higher then i use to. Other wise,i recommend this as well. Great sound mix.

11.1 was in supported theaters (auro 3d)

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek /forum/post/0

the tuskegee airman(1995) has a better story, red tails is all about visuals and audio.

+1

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek /forum/post/22063722

The Tuskegee Airmen has a better story, Red Tails is all about visuals and audio.

+2

Watched "Red Tails" today. The film seemed very choppy to me and only delt with their time in Europe, not anything about their startup and training. Though it was entertaining I prefer the story as told in "The Tuskegee Airmen".

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/the-tuskegee-airmen/

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDigitalGuy05 /forum/post/22063632

I rented this two day's ago, i enjoyed the movie. There were some talk that it supported 11.1?
Auro-Technologies (link) recommends 11.1 for large room|Cinema reproduction, and 9.1 or 10.1 for small room|HT playback:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex /forum/post/22056222

I saw NO mention of Galaxy Studios or Auro-Technologies on the Red Tails BD cover or cardboard slip jacket. So I guess we'll still have to wait until the first (Home Theater) Auro-3D decoders appear (in late 2012?) to find out definitively whether this BD's 5.1 LPCM [decoded from DTS-HDMA] soundtrack is the (theatrical) "single inventory" (5.1) Auro-encoded PCM stream or the "vanilla" (but supposedly indistinguishable acoustically) 5.1 surround mix.

[As the DTS-HDMA encode process and manufacturing cost of the Red Tails BD would be identical regardless of which 5.1 LPCM soundtrack is used, it's hard to imagine why Lucasfilm would miss out on the chance for an additional sales bump next year when there will still be very few Auro-3D encoded albums or movies available to exploit the (new) decoder's capabilities.
]

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDigitalGuy05 /forum/post/22063632

But I thought on the bass side was a little quiet for me,had to turn the sub gain a little higher then I use to.

Great sound mix.

So how does Red Tails have a great sound mix, if the bass was a little quiet?

#23 ·
Same here. I'm old enough to remember watching old B/W WWII movies on Saturday afternoon theater (before cable), so I generally appreciate new takes...Yes, that includes Pearl Harbor.

I haven't seen this movie yet, but I have tempered my expectations a bit after reading Ralph's review. I was late to the party for Pearl Harbor which may explain why I wasn't disappointed with it. Sure, it entered cheesehead status on occasion, but I still enjoyed it. I guess I'm just a sucker for WWII warbirds and the nature of aerial combat during that era.

Quote:

I guess when it comes to this type of story, I am much more forgiving than most movie fans--and critics. I may add it to my blu ray collection when the price comes down--I watched Red Tails via iTunes on my ATV2. I rated it 4/5.

#24 ·
I don't know if others feel the same way I do, but tI feel that the CGI graphics of the aerial plane/dogfight sequences in modern movies is not very good. For example, when I see the battle scenes in the movie "Pearl Harbor" and compare them to similar scenes from Tora Tora Tora, I can clearly see the difference. The shots in the new movies look really fake to me. The programmers in Hollywood do a really good job with most CGI shots, but I feel that they have not yet mastered the art of planes whizzing by! I'll rent this movie and see how the CGI in it looks.

Cal68

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishniknork /forum/post/22061735

I figured "Red Tails" wouldn't hold a candle to "The Tuskegee Airmen" (with Laurence Fishburne) but I'll rent it anyway. Like spiritfox I love anything related to US air power, mainly because I grew up as an Air Force brat whose father flew in almost everything from B-17's to B-52's. As a kid my favorite TV show was "12 O'clock High".

I enjoyed Red Tails, but I also have to agree with Ralph's critique of it. It could of been better, but the air sequences were great. I too love to watch anything to do with WWII aviation. Funny you mentioned 12 O' clock High. As a twelve year old kid in 1964, I loved that show. I'm 60 now and I still can't get the theme music (the best of all time IMO) out of my head.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishniknork /forum/post/22061735

Man-are we showing our age here-or what

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.