AVS Forum banner
447K views 4K replies 476 participants last post by  tongshadow 
#1 ·
This is the owners thread for the Samsung PNXXE7000/8000.

I have a Samsung pn60e8000, which was a replacement for my Samsung PN59D8000. I think over all the E seies has better PQ than the D series. Darker blacks, color is on par with last years excellent performance, and the new dual core chip really speeds up the use of apps and browser. Also the new internet browser is much faster and easier to use, and it is a full web browser , most web browsers on tv's are not full web browser's. The new features like face recognition is great and works very well, it does a great job. If you have an account and you are using the tv, it takes you right to your account. If you have an account and are in the room with several other people it shows all the people and displays those with accounts and without, giving you the option to sign into your account or allowing a person to make their own account. The voice control works very well, even in a room with people talking, the remote itself also has a mic to help in this situation.The voice control can be a bit finicky as you need to know the commands and must speak clearly. Also, there is a 1.5 second delay from when you speak until it reacts, but as for the web browser part I can tell you it is still much faster than typing. The motion control works but can be a bit sluggish, you need to learn the appropriate motions then it will work well, also lighting conditions can interfere with it, you need to atleast have a lamp on. I have not noticed any under or over scan issues. I have also not noticed any white "pops" - I did view a hockey game and there were some small greyish area's whithin the white at times. I am talking about when the screen is almost totally white, if you look very close you can notice this but it is very subtle.The screen was brilliant white and trying to look at these was very painful to my eye's. I watched avatar, alice in wonderland,tangled and Imax under the sea , all in 3d and there was no xtalk or ghosting . I did however notice the slightest xtalk when using the 2d-3d feature but it was very minamal. I tested gaming and it was great - even in very fast motion scenes. Also did mw3 in 3d and again great performance. There was no lag issue with out using the game mode setting. if you guys have any questions please feel free to ask.

god bless

See less See more
#1,337 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd /forum/post/22064318

Attached is the calibrator's scorecard from the event. The E8000 tied for 1st in video quality - General Content, and took second in overall average score, sharp was third.

VT50 - 9.33

E8000 - 8.88

Elite - 7.95

Awesome! Also, the knowledge that I saved $1500...
Think I can be content until the OLED become mainstream.

#1,338 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattlehead /forum/post/22064232

She gave me her direct extension as well if anyone requires additional clarification.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but that extension is useless. It will get you back to "executive cutomer service", but you will never speak to Alicia again.

#1,339 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer /forum/post/22062470

Have you confirmed the Samsung has no 3D crosstalk and good 3D recognition as well as the ability to manually activate 3D which apparently Panasonic doesn't allow (only auto)?

Also have you confirmed the Samsung doesn't have any FBR on Hockey and other such cases?

These are the two important issues apparently comparing with the Panasonic ST50/GT50 models now. So we anxiously await confirmation with direct comparison between those models.

It will probably be another week before the set is broken in and I have time to actually start playing different types of media on it, so I can't comment yet on the 3D performance. I'm definitely looking forward to it though. I will say that last year's D7000 had pretty mild crosstalk overall, and though it didn't seem to recognize much of my side-by-side video, it didn't matter because one button push would manually enable 3D mode, so it was never a problem. With the ST50 detecting 3D was a nightmare. It will be interesting to see if the E8000 can automatically recognize side-by-side/over-under 3D. I don't think anybody can expect "no crosstalk" on these sets, but if the crosstalk is mild enough, it will appear as having virtually none for a good amount of the 3D you will view. Only the most challenging scenes will exhibit the ghosting. The ST50 had so much crosstalk that everything had noticeable crosstalk, and the worst scenes were unwatchable. The D7000 was no where near that bad from my experience.

The issues I had with fluctuating brightness last year on the D7000 was related to dark scenes fluctuating constantly with black levels all over the place, as opposed to the "hockey pops" which seem to be a different issue. I will say that from what I have observed so far while breaking in the set with Cinemax, I have seen no signs of that fluctuating black level. The image seems very stable, which seems like a blessing to me after my experience with the D7000. I haven't tried it with hockey yet since it's still breaking in.

#1,341 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferl /forum/post/0

I don't want to rain on your parade, but that extension is useless. It will get you back to "executive cutomer service", but you will never speak to Alicia again.

Not true. I've done it before. You call 1800SAMSUNG, press 7, then enter the extension. If your rep is on the phone or not responding, it transfers you to another person. It may take a few tries, but you can get them.

#1,342 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd /forum/post/22064318

Attached is the calibrator's scorecard from the event. The E8000 tied for 1st in video quality - General Content, and took second in overall average score, sharp was third.

VT50 - 9.33

E8000 - 8.88

Elite - 7.95

what do these numbers really mean are they really good can the eye see the difference.

like is one second slow and .95 seconds fast

i think it all boils down to being happy with what you get for the money you spent

#1,343 ·
The Samsung Service Technician from Koambra Inc in Long Beach CA just left. I've been waiting almost a week for his visit. I called Samsung last Monday to complain about the buzzing coming from my brand new PN60E7000. As with everybody else who has had this problem, I wanted to hear what Samsung had to say about it. Is this normal or not? I made sure everything was dead quiet when the technician got here so he could hear the buzzing easily. So when he got here and I told him to listen to the buzzing and tell me whether it was normal or not. What was his reply?

He said that the buzzing WAS normal. That it was caused by two high voltage power boards in the back, on both sides of the panel, left and right. This he said was done in order to get the gorgeous picture quality that Samsung plasma's are known for. He said that he has gone on dozens of services calls for this very issue and he told me that exchanging the television would make no difference because they are all like this. So there you have it folks. At first I wanted to argue with him and tell him "Hell no, this is not normal" but then I suddenly realized how futile that would be, I think he's right. They are all like this. That's the way they were designed. So now of course I have to make another decision. Do I keep the Samsung PN60E7000 and learn to live the buzzing or do I go Panasonic GT50?

As I've mentioned in previous posts on this thread, I've already compared the Panasonic's to the Samsung's and to my eyes view, the Samsung's win hands down. I don't think that I could be happy with the Panasonic GT50 picture quality which I think is too soft and lacks clarity. It looks like I'll just have to learn to live with the buzzing. For me particularly, It's not that bad since I have Tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and I've learned to live with that. In some respects I can see some logic in sacrificing quiet plasma operation for gorgeous picture quality, perhaps technology simply isn't up to providing both yet. Maybe next years models will be better. Some of you might dispute this, if so I invite you to contact Koambra Inc. Samsung Authorized Services Center. 2392 E. Artesia Blvd Long Beach CA 90805 Phone: (562) 422-3636 Fax: (562) 422-6599 http://www.koambra.com/ and take it up with them.

#1,344 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by airman23 /forum/post/22064716

The Samsung Service Technician from Koambra Inc in Long Beach CA just left. I've been waiting almost a week for his visit. I called Samsung last Monday to complain about the buzzing coming from my brand new PN60E7000. As with everybody else who has had this problem, I wanted to hear what Samsung had to say about it. Is this normal or not? I made sure everything was dead quiet when the technician got here so he could hear the buzzing easily. So when he got hear and I told him to litsen to the buzzing and tell me whether it was normal or not. What was his reply?

He said that the buzzing WAS normal. That it was caused by two high voltage power boards in the back, on both sides of the panel, left and right. This he said was done in order to get the gorgeous picture quality that Samsung plasms's are known for. He said that he has gone on dozens of services calls for this very issue and he told me that exchanging the television would make no difference becuase they are all like this. So there you have it folks. At first I wanted to argue with him and tell "Hell no, this is not normal" but then I suddenly realized how futile that would be, I think he's right. Thay are all like this. That's the way they were designed. So now of course I have to make another decision. Do I keep the Samsung PN60E7000 and learn to live the buzzing or do I go Panasonic GT50?

As I've mentioned in previous posts on this thread, I've already compared the Panasonic's to the Samsung's and to my eyes view, the Samsung's win hands down. I don't think that I could be happy with the Panasonic GT50 picture quality which I think is too soft and lacks clarity. It looks like I'll just have to learn to live with the buzzing. For me particulary, I'ts not that bad since I have Tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and I've learned to live with that. In some respects I can see some logic in sacreficing quiet plasma operation for gorgeous picture quality, perhaps technology simply isn't up to providing both yet. Maybe next years models will be better.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. The samsungs buzz more but that's the tradeoff they made when designing the set to have the PQ that it has. Never seen a set like the e8000 regardless of buzzing, best PQ ever. Its literally a "wow" effect for anyone who would come over. The GT50 still buzzes during bright scenes, its only quiet when its showing dark material. In general though, the GT's picture is lackluster and actually gets somewhat boring to my eyes.

#1,345 ·
has anyone actually opened up the set and attempted to insulate/isolate the buzzing areas? I'm thinking of buying another e8000 and bringing it to my shop to see if we can pinpoint a solution.

There used to be bulletins on the old Pioneer's that required putting silicone on certain areas to contain the buzzing. You guys think there's any hope here? Haven't heard of anyone opening up their set and actually trying to find a solution.

#1,346 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais /forum/post/22064676

what do these numbers really mean are they really good can the eye see the difference.

like is one second slow and .95 seconds fast

i think it all boils down to being happy with what you get for the money you spent

The numbers are not an expresison of time -- they are a rating from 1 to 10 that evaluates the quality of the display for each of the 5 categories.

It isn't clear to me what "the event" is, but it -sounds- like a group of one or more (no idea how many) professional calibrators got together and calibrated each of the TVs and assigned a score to each one.

As for whether or not the difference is visible to the naked eye... who knows? I can tell you it wouldn't be visible to mine, but most things aren't.

#1,347 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattlehead /forum/post/22064537

Not true. I've done it before. You call 1800SAMSUNG, press 7, then enter the extension. If your rep is on the phone or not responding, it transfers you to another person. It may take a few tries, but you can get them.

Exactly. Press 7 during the recorded announcement, enter the extension and speak to someone other than the person you are calling for. I'm not saying you won't reach someone that can help, but you're not going to reach Alicia. As I've stated before, you'll end up getting what you want, but it's always going to be routed through a different CSR. If you don't get the response you're looking for, don't get upset, just call back and the next rep will give you what you want

#1,349 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hov333 /forum/post/22064775

has anyone actually opened up the set and attempted to insulate/isolate the buzzing areas? I'm thinking of buying another e8000 and bringing it to my shop to see if we can pinpoint a solution.

There used to be bulletins on the old Pioneer's that required putting silicone on certain areas to contain the buzzing. You guys think there's any hope here? Haven't heard of anyone opening up their set and actually trying to find a solution.

I'm not so sure too many people would feel safe opening up their expensive, brand-new E8000 and voiding the warranty, not to mention risking damage to the unit and possible personal injury from high-voltage electronics. Sounds like a very bad idea to me.

Personally, since I don't seem to have any buzzing complaints at all with my E8000, I have no idea how bad it can be for some people. But from the info shared above from the service tech, it seems to me like that's how these Samsungs are made - like it or leave it. It has an absolutely gorgeous picture, and I haven't even adjusted the picture settings yet. People are comparing these E-series models to how other brands and previous models sounded, but that's comparing apples to oranges, because they are different sets, and different companies do things differently to achieve their goals. For Samsung, it appears their sets can have a tendency to buzz, which may vary from set to set. It sounds to me like that's just how they are.

This touches a bit on my comments yesterday on how Samsung should have a knowledgeable rep in these forums to help answer questions. They could save a lot of money on service calls and save people from wasting their time freaking out and setting up service calls when there might not even be anything wrong with the sets.

By the way, I noticed the ST50 buzzed during bright scenes, but usually wasn't too noticeable.

#1,350 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferl /forum/post/22064872

Exactly. Press 7 during the recorded announcement, enter the extension and speak to someone other than the person you are calling for. I'm not saying you won't reach someone that can help, but you're not going to reach Alicia. As I've stated before, you'll end up getting what you want, but it's always going to be routed through a different CSR. If you don't get the response you're looking for, don't get upset, just call back and the next rep will give you what you want

Again, not true. It specifically tells you if the rep you're trying to reach isn't there, and that they're transferring you to someone else. If you don't get that notification you will be given to the person you intended to reach. I've dealt with a rep named Ashley before and have her extension. I have successfully reached her 4 times. Perhaps I just got lucky though, lol.

#1,351 ·

Quote:

The Samsung Service Technician from Koambra Inc in Long Beach CA just left. I've been waiting almost a week for his visit. I called Samsung last Monday to complain about the buzzing coming from my brand new PN60E7000. As with everybody else who has had this problem, I wanted to hear what Samsung had to say about it. Is this normal or not? I made sure everything was dead quiet when the technician got here so he could hear the buzzing easily. So when he got hear and I told him to litsen to the buzzing and tell me whether it was normal or not. What was his reply?

He said that the buzzing WAS normal. That it was caused by two high voltage power boards in the back, on both sides of the panel, left and right. This he said was done in order to get the gorgeous picture quality that Samsung plasms's are known for. He said that he has gone on dozens of services calls for this very issue and he told me that exchanging the television would make no difference becuase they are all like this. So there you have it folks. At first I wanted to argue with him and tell him "Hell no, this is not normal" but then I suddenly realized how futile that would be, I think he's right. Thay are all like this. That's the way they were designed. So now of course I have to make another decision. Do I keep the Samsung PN60E7000 and learn to live the buzzing or do I go Panasonic GT50?

As I've mentioned in previous posts on this thread, I've already compared the Panasonic's to the Samsung's and to my eyes view, the Samsung's win hands down. I don't think that I could be happy with the Panasonic GT50 picture quality which I think is too soft and lacks clarity. It looks like I'll just have to learn to live with the buzzing. For me particulary, I'ts not that bad since I have Tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and I've learned to live with that. In some respects I can see some logic in sacreficing quiet plasma operation for gorgeous picture quality, perhaps technology simply isn't up to providing both yet. Maybe next years models will be better. Some of you might dispute this, if so I invite you to call Koambra Inc Samsung Authorized Services Center 2392 E. Artesia Blvd Long Beach CA 90805 (562) 422-3636 Fax: (562) 422-6599 http://www.koambra.com/ and take it up with them.

Sounds a lot like my experience !

I can't live with it nor feel I should have to

#1,352 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattlehead /forum/post/0

Again, not true. It specifically tells you if the rep you're trying to reach isn't there, and that they're transferring you to someone else. If you don't get that notification you will be given to the person you intended to reach. I've dealt with a rep named Ashley before and have her extension. I have successfully reached her 4 times. Perhaps I just got lucky though, lol.

+1 you didn't get lucky I was also given a direct extension after hitting 7 and it worked but at times if that representative isn't available the system will try to redirect you

#1,353 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferl /forum/post/0

-1 you are given false testimony

#1,354 ·

Quote:

He said that the buzzing WAS normal. That it was caused by two high voltage power boards in the back, on both sides of the panel, left and right. This he said was done in order to get the gorgeous picture quality that Samsung plasms's are known for. He said that he has gone on dozens of services calls for this very issue and he told me that exchanging the television would make no difference becuase they are all like this. So there you have it folks. At first I wanted to argue with him and tell him "Hell no, this is not normal" but then I suddenly realized how futile that would be, I think he's right. Thay are all like this. That's the way they were designed. So now of course I have to make another decision. Do I keep the Samsung PN60E7000 and learn to live the buzzing or do I go Panasonic GT50?

As I've mentioned in previous posts on this thread, I've already compared the Panasonic's to the Samsung's and to my eyes view, the Samsung's win hands down. I don't think that I could be happy with the Panasonic GT50 picture quality which I think is too soft and lacks clarity. It looks like I'll just have to learn to live with the buzzing. For me particulary, I'ts not that bad since I have Tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and I've learned to live with that. In some respects I can see some logic in sacreficing quiet plasma operation for gorgeous picture quality, perhaps technology simply isn't up to providing both yet. Maybe next years models will be better. Some of you might dispute this, if so I invite you to contact Koambra Inc. Samsung Authorized Services Center. 2392 E. Artesia Blvd Long Beach CA 90805 Phone: (562) 422-3636 Fax: (562) 422-6599 http://www.koambra.com/ and take it up with them.

that tech must have been blowing you off, knowing that Samsung won't do anything based on the severity of the buzz maybe there is an acceptable buzz that Samsung wont fix i don't know

my PN60E8000 does not buzz I'M wondering if it's because I'm hooked to my AV receiver maybe. OK it's not that i did a sound test to hear the TV through its speakers no buzz when i watch TV using the TV's speakers.

my set is stone quiet

#1,355 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais /forum/post/22065080

that tech must have been blowing you off, knowing that Samsung won't do anything based on the severity of the buzz maybe there is an acceptable buzz that Samsung wont fix i don't know

my PN60E8000 does not buzz I'M wondering if it's because I'm hooked to my AV receiver maybe. OK it's not that i did a sound test to hear the TV through its speakers no buzz when i watch TV using the TV's speakers.

my set is stone quiet

So your saying that you hear no buzzing at all from at least 10ft or more away from the panel sitting front and center in front of it, is that correct?

#1,356 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by airman23 /forum/post/22065150

So your saying that you hear no buzzing at all from at least 10ft or more away from the panel sitting front and center in front of it, is that correct?

I'm saying i hear no buzz 10 feet 15 feet sitting dead center or my ear touching all parts of the TV

I'm sorry i would love to tell you that it buzzzz my set is a PN60E8000 maybe the 7000 is different ??????????

i had a tech here looking at my un46d8000 because i was seeing flash-lighting at the bottom right corner.he told me that it would be hard to get a replacement panel based on minimal flash lighting that this set had.

i showed him my PN60E8000 AND ASKED HIM ABOUT BUZZING AND HE SAID SOME DO BUZZ.

so i believe that there is an acceptable buzz as there is with flash lighting thank god mine is quiet

#1,357 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais /forum/post/22065180

I'm saying i hear no buzz 10 feet 15 feet sitting dead center or my ear touching all parts of the TV

I'm sorry i would love to tell you that it buzzzz my set is a PN60E8000 maybe the 7000 is different ??????????

i had a tech here looking at my un46d8000 because i was seeing flash-lighting at the bottom right corner.he told me that it would be hard to get a replacement panel based on minimal flash lighting that this set had.

i showed him my PN60E8000 AND ASKED HIM ABOUT BUZZING AND HE SAID SOME DO BUZZ.

so i believe that there is an acceptable buzz as there is with flash lighting thank god mine is quiet

Well all plasma's buzz, that's the nature of the technology, my LG PA606500 that I sold to a friend brand new buzzed internally, you had to put your ear up against the panel to hear it but it buzzed but not from 10 ft away and you say that you hear no buzz from your 60E8000 dead center or with your ear touching all parts of the TV. You don't how good that makes me feel, I guess my hearing is not as bad as I thought it was.

#1,358 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattlehead /forum/post/22064971

I have the extensions for 3 reps. Two of those extensions begin with 85 and the other begins with 80. I suggest you put a few bucks in the lottery this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmond82 /forum/post/22065040

-1 you are given false testimony

Your opinion has been noted, but I am not "GIVEN false testimony"!

#1,359 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by airman23 /forum/post/22065150

That's true for a very large number of plasma owners, and several brands of displays. My display is 60" Kuro that's 4.5 years old. When I turned on the power for the first time, I checked for dead pixels. I was within inches of the screen. I could hear a faint buzz. I've never been that close to the screen since that day, and I've never heard a buzz.

At the same time other new owners were reporting several versions of what they called buzz. In some cases, those who don't hear a buzz may have a hearing problem for that frequency, but that won't explain any where near the number of claims that there is no buzz at anything like a normal distance. It's not unusual for people to report things like, "If I stick my head behind the display, I can hear a faint buzz." or "If I'm closer than two feet from the display, I can hear a buzz.

There does seem to be a wide range of buzz volumes across all kinds of plasma displays. The service guy was giving you the "company" line.

#1,360 ·
"I think he's right. They are all like this. That's the way they were designed."

I can tell you from my own personal experience that some buzz louder than others. My earlier PN59D7000 buzzed much more intensely than my current PN60E7000.

I'm not quite sure how fortunate I should feel that any buzzing I hear from my E7000 is a non issue.