AVS Forum banner

Are You Looking For A Less Expensive Norco 4220 / 4224 Alternative?

316K views 3K replies 209 participants last post by  kishine 
#1 ·

Well look no further.... This has got to be the deal of the century!

It is a COMPLETE COMMERCIAL GRADE DATA CENTER SERVER ~ $299!!!!

UPDATE 8/14/12: Okay... Here it is... The news you have been waiting for:

Reactions: DukeTheTechGuy
#3 ·
It's not dead... "This seller is currently away until May 31, 2012, and is not processing orders at this time. You can add this item to your watch list to purchase later."

I spoke to the seller this morning... He has more than 30 available!

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 /forum/post/22073053

It's not dead... "This seller is currently away until May 31, 2012, and is not processing orders at this time. You can add this item to your watch list to purchase later."

I spoke to the seller this morning... He has more than 30 available!

I had missed the notification at the top. My apologies.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeTuesday /forum/post/22073097

Does this have an OS already installed?

Unfortunately no OS... But WHS 2011 is cheap!

The boards support Windows, Redhat, Linux and unRAID.

I am currently using Windows 7... all hardware drivers are available.

#9 ·
I really wish I knew more about servers. What would the advantage of the second cpu be? Could you just slap any cpu in there as long as it fits physically? Could I just install WHS and flexraid and have one big drive pool and add drives as I need them? Would this serve up HD video well? What about using Plex to access my movies while I'm on the road...would this do that for me? Sorry I'm such a noob, but I'm really interested if it can do these things for me.

Edit: What did they charge for shipping and the special handling fee?

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeTuesday /forum/post/22073216

I really wish I knew more about servers. What would the advantage of the second cpu be? Could you just slap any cpu in there as long as it fits physically? Could I just install WHS and flexraid and have one big drive pool and add drives as I need them? Would this serve up HD video well? What about using Plex to access my movies while I'm on the road...would this do that for me? Sorry I'm such a noob, but I'm really interested if it can do these things for me.

Yes, it can do all of those things.

I created a set of step-by-step illustrated guides after I did a bunch of testing. For those interested they are located at www.assassinserver.com .

The people that have used them have given me very good feedback thus far.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrlnsDukie /forum/post/0

There's gotta be a catch.

That being said, I'm probably gonna take a chance on it...

No catch... Really! I know three other people that purchased the same server from this eBay seller.

Just know... That if you are looking for I quiet server... You will need to make some modifications similar to mine.

PS... Make sure you ask for lots of HDD screws.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/22073240

I created a set of step-by-step illustrated guides after I did a bunch of testing. For those interested they are located at www.assassinserver.com .

The people that have used them have given me very good feedback thus far.

Thanks, Assassin. This seems like a pretty good deal...would you agree? I bought the guide a day or two after you announced it but haven't finished reading it all. Was working on getting a parts list for a server using your guide when I saw this thread.

I already have your HTPC guide too. Just wanted to say thanks for all you do here and at your blogs. Such a huge help!

I'm still kinda unsure about what a second CPU would do. Is it something I would never even need to worry about? Or is it a feature I would want to use for some reason?

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeTuesday /forum/post/22073280

Thanks, Assassin. This seems like a pretty good deal...would you agree? I bought the guide a day or two after you announced it but haven't finished reading it all. Was working on getting a parts list for a server using your guide when I saw this thread.

I already have your HTPC guide too. Just wanted to say thanks for all you do here and at your blogs. Such a huge help!

I'm still kinda unsure about what a second CPU would do. Is it something I would never even need to worry about? Or is it a feature I would want to use for some reason?

For just a simple home server I think you would be fine with a single dual core.

#16 ·
Just an FYI... If you go with the AMD version ( which the seller still thinks he has) you could run two AMD Opteron 2419 1.8ghz 6 core 40 watt processors and 128 GB of RAM!

Also... The AMD version comes with 2 x8 PCI-e slots whereas the intel version has none.

Now I have no idea why you would need that... The dual core 2.0 GHz and 8 GB is plenty of horse power for a file server... Which is all I am using it for.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 /forum/post/22073279

No catch... Really! I know three other people that purchased the same server from this eBay seller.

Just know... That if you are looking for I quiet server... You will need to make some modifications similar to mine.

Oh, don't you worry. I will.

Thanks for the details and links on your choices.

Now I wish my Sanus rack could've been about 2 feet taller...

#20 ·
assassin -- if we've paid for your HTPC guide, do we need to pay separately for your server guide as well? I've been living in the land of Drobo's and eSATA jbod's. The nuances of different RAID server setups are new to me, and I'm gonna be coming to the party with a crapload less knowledge than I had for HTPC's.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 /forum/post/22073279

Well, I want one. Sent him a message...hope I get one before he sells out. I know he's on vacation, but patience isn't always my strong point.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrlnsDukie /forum/post/22073373

assassin -- if we've paid for your HTPC guide, do we need to pay separately for your server guide as well? I've been living in the land of Drobo's and eSATA jbod's. The nuances of different RAID server setups are new to me, and I'm gonna be coming to the party with a crapload less knowledge than I had for HTPC's.

I created a second set of guides so I didn't have to increase the price of the HTPC guides since not everyone wants or needs server guides.

I have spent a good deal of time and money thus far to provide the new server guides.

So they are 2 different sites for 2 different machines.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/22073381

I created a second set of guides so I didn't have to increase the price of the HTPC guides since not everyone wants or needs server guides.

I have spent a good deal of time and money thus far to provide the new server guides.

So they are 2 different sites for 2 different machines.

Both are worth way more than you charge, IMO.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeTuesday /forum/post/0

Well, I want one. Sent him a message...hope I get one before he sells out. I know he's on vacation, but patience isn't always my strong point.

To ask questions and to request an AMD version (which is not listed in ebay) I had better luck contacting them directly via the phone number on their website http://www.tamsolutions.com/contact

I spoke with Jason who was very helpful!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.