AVS Forum banner

The ch.14 "Fire Power" Theater

39K views 343 replies 49 participants last post by  Larry M 
#1 ·

See less See more
#77 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by willscam /forum/post/22080047

Thanks for not posting in gruesome injury photos...

It is healing quite nicely...I can actually feel half my finger now

#78 ·
No significant updates, just spending more money.

I ordered a drywall lift tool from Amazon (will be here tomorrow---have to love Prime). Decided $150 was better than a rental since there is a 1.64% chance of me finishing the drywall in 4 days at which point I might as well buy it

Also ordered my soundproof material

20 putty pads for electrical outlets

20 gallons of green glue + speedload gun (4 - 5 gallon pails)

12 tubes of acoustical sealant

Once I order a door, i'll order for an automatic bottom door seal. Shout out to John Hile from SoundProofCompany. He was very helpful and as always Ted is a geat resource for the site

#79 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M /forum/post/22077981

I present to you the Rocket Soffit...

Rocket Soffit indeed. You know, if you made that symmetrical, it would look like you wanted it that way...

#80 ·
Looking VERY nice. I would never have tackled such a project. My personality would not let me have slept until it was done --- and I would have died.

Hence, I paid someone to do what you are doing.

Not only will you have an outstanding room for music and movies, you should feel very proud of yourself for completing such a project.

GREAT job!!

#82 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M /forum/post/22065627

You know what is entertaining...

When you close the ball valve on your sump pump and forget to tighten the check valve and then testing the sump pump by pooring buckets of water in it

Yeah those sump pumps push a lot of water real fast

It could have been worse. At least you were using clean buckets of water.

#83 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy /forum/post/22087446

Looking VERY nice. I would never have tackled such a project. My personality would not let me have slept until it was done --- and I would have died.

Hence, I paid someone to do what you are doing.

Not only will you have an outstanding room for music and movies, you should feel very proud of yourself for completing such a project.

GREAT job!!

Thank You!

Been in the basement since 6AM working on electrical. I needed a break...and some food and your words are inspiring and giving me motivation to get my butt back to work

#84 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs691919 /forum/post/22088038

I might have to make this my signature!

Great idea

#85 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 /forum/post/22088202

It could have been worse. At least you were using clean buckets of water.

Opening the sump pump for the first time and smelling the water that must of sat since they poured the concrete a few years ago was a treat...All 3 floors of my house stunk for a week...Scooping that water out into buckets was not fun eaither, I thought I may start glowing

NOT looking forward to installing the ejector pump for the bathroom and may God have mercy on me that the ejector pump never fails.

#86 ·
First time is DIY. After use it would become a plumbers problem in my house.

#88 ·
Rocket Soffit was getting lonely so I decided to make a friend.

This one was pretty easy, it took my father in law and I about 4-5 hours. I still need to do some cross bracing but it is up there rock solid.

The hardest part was getting straight 2x8x8 at Lowes...what a load of garbage they have there. One of the pieces is a bit "cupped" but we were able to work around it.

I present to you the STOP Soffit. It will be located above the bar...I figure I could paint it red and write "If you can read this STOP drinking" with the assumption you have fell over...haha JK

I'm going to call the building inspector to come in this week, I want to go over the theater plans with him and ask him about fireblocking around the soffits I want to build in the theater.

On Saturday I finished a good bit of electrical; now the that STOP soffit is complete, I wire the lights in that and move on to the theater. Oh yeah that is my home made "junction box" in the 2nd pic, this will all be removed once I get my wiring in place

#89 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino /forum/post/22096030

Looking good Larry!

Thanks Tony!

#90 ·
For those concerned with my thumb...It is doing a lot better as of yesterday morning

Until I was putting wire staples in and missed with the hammer but didn't miss my thumb. I took my frustration out on my ladder and now I have a new tool holding slot in my ladder

#92 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M /forum/post/22096107

For those concerned with my thumb...It is doing a lot better as of yesterday morning

Until I was putting wire staples in and missed with the hammer but didn't miss my thumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M /forum/post/22096107

... and now I have a new tool holding slot in my ladder

Pictures or it didn't happen...

#93 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty /forum/post/22098104

Pictures or it didn't happen...
The hole on the left is not supposed to be there

#94 ·
Green Glue, Acoustical Sealant, and Putty Pads are here

They're hanging out with the Seaton Submersive...I figure they should make friends

#95 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M  /t/1399304/the-ch-14-fire-power-theater/50_50#post_22100003

They're hanging out with the Seaton Submersive...I figure they should make friends

Good plan, and good pictures to boot.

#96 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M  /t/1399304/the-ch-14-fire-power-theater/90#post_22100003

Ahhhh. I remember the day green glue arrived. Seems like it was only yesterday.

#97 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio  /t/1399304/the-ch-14-fire-power-theater/90#post_22115127

Ahhhh. I remember the day green glue arrived. Seems like it was only yesterday.

I hope my progress moves as fast as yours did/does

I am about 90% through electrical....in the basement....theater should be quick to wrap up so I am thinking a few hours this week and I should be ready for inspection.

Tough part is I am using an existing circuit so once I cut the power off I'll have no lights other than extension cords

#98 ·
Spoke to my building inspector this week, he insisted on Thermafiber SAFB for my fireblocking. He wasn't high on Roxul which it seems everyone sells around here.

Anyway, I found one place that stocked it locally but their hours were 6AM to 5PM M-F so Friday morning at 6 the wife and I went to pick it up. I showed up in my Pontiac Trans Am ordered the 2 bags of Thermafiber thinking they were the size of Roxul bags. Handed the guy on the forklift my order and he asked me how I am taking it home to which I replied in my car. He let out a good laugh and said I'll bring it right to the car.

Well turns out the bags are quite a bit bigger than Roxul bags

After fumbling around for 10 minutes I realized the only way I was getting it home would be with the hatch open...Oh well that was a fun ride home

Next time I'll bring my wife's convertible G37; top down works wonders for transporting large items

#100 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M  /t/1399304/the-ch-14-fire-power-theater/90#post_22117076

Spoke to my building inspector this week, he insisted on Thermafiber SAFB for my fireblocking. He wasn't high on Roxul which it seems everyone sells around here.

Anyway, I found one place that stocked it locally but their hours were 6AM to 5PM M-F so Friday morning at 6 the wife and I went to pick it up. I showed up in my Pontiac Trans Am ordered the 2 bags of Thermafiber thinking they were the size of Roxul bags. Handed the guy on the forklift my order and he asked me how I am taking it home to which I replied in my car. He let out a good laugh and said I'll bring it right to the car.

Well turns out the bags are quite a bit bigger than Roxul bags

After fumbling around for 10 minutes I realized the only way I was getting it home would be with the hatch open...Oh well that was a fun ride home

Next time I'll bring my wife's convertible G37; top down works wonders for transporting large items

Where was the place that had the stuff?

#101 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino  /t/1399304/the-ch-14-fire-power-theater/90#post_22117583

Where was the place that had the stuff?

Right by you

Kamco in Paterson

I called on Thursday asking the price of Thermafiber and the lady told me $0.39 a sq ft.

When I showed up and told the lady at the register Friday morning I was quoted $0.39 she said "I don't know what hell they were thinking when they told you that"

I guess I got a good price

By the way, there is a place in Paterson (not Kamco) that has OC703 for $7.50 a panel. A bit expensive I think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.