AVS Forum banner

10K views 70 replies 26 participants last post by  aaronwt 
#1 · (Edited)
#3 ·
That information doesn't seem to be up for the 2560k version, but it says this about the 4k:

The TimeScapes 4k version is only suitable for displays with a 4K resolution.

The file is a single 14 Gigabyte mp4, with a bit rate of 40-80 Mbits at 4096 x 2304 pixels.

We will send you a file to copy to your computer, so we cannot offer refunds or returns.

Please ensure your system can play back a file like this. You will likely need a very fast hard drive or a RAID system and a multi core processor.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Average /forum/post/22069586

That information doesn't seem to be up for the 2560k version, but it says this about the 4k:

The TimeScapes 4k version is only suitable for displays with a 4K resolution.

The file is a single 14 Gigabyte mp4, with a bit rate of 40-80 Mbits at 4096 x 2304 pixels.

We will send you a file to copy to your computer, so we cannot offer refunds or returns.

Please ensure your system can play back a file like this. You will likely need a very fast hard drive or a RAID system and a multi core processor.

That's what I suspected, iffy computer playback. Not sure if there is 4K display drivers yet.

#5 ·
40-80Mbps? That's surprisingly small. At most, that's only 10MB/sec. Even the slowest hard drive on the market is capable of at least 60MB/sec sustained transfer rate... Hard drive speed won't be the bottleneck for this unless your hard drive is horribly fragmented. The bottleneck will be your CPU and/or graphics card. If you can play BD on your system with plenty of power to spare, you should be fine.

#6 ·
Looks like the situation is still very much in flux re: the 4K version:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...=1#post1015038

Quote:
BTW, our 4K strategy is changing a bit. We are going back to a 30GB 4K file on a USB stick, but will also be offering a higher-end version, for real home-theater buffs -- a 130GB Cineform 4:2:2 version of the film that will ship on a USB 3.0 external drive. Still working out pricing and such.

#8 ·
Looks like good work. I have no interest in 4k, and wish they had left out the people shots, but I like HD scenery loops, so I'll give it a look.

#12 ·
How long is the film?

How long is the Making-Of?

#14 ·
Only thing is that UHD "4K" (3840x2160p) seems to be the standard they are going with for consumer products since it's ~1.78:1 and 1080p can be easily upconverted to this res.

I don't know if they'll go up to 10 bit video, etc. or not. The actual standards are not set yet.

The only thing critical I have to say about the film from the trailer is that the shots of people intermingled with the awesome timelapse photography just doesn't do it for me.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzastromonkey /forum/post/22081662

Hello all,

I'm involved with this film, so can answer some questions if you like.

The film is 48 minutes long, the behind the scenes are 18:23, 13:22, and 6:29 (there are three).

Movie is 16:9 4k - 4096 x 2304.

The H264 4k is 31 Gb and the cineform version is 180Gb 12 bit.

Cheers!

Nigel

Was this shot with RED Epic 5k cameras, by any chance? Or like Ron Fricke's timelapse work, custom 65mm cameras?

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman /forum/post/22081761

Was this shot with RED Epic 5k cameras, by any chance? Or like Ron Fricke's timelapse work, custom 65mm cameras?

Hey dan, yes Tom had one of the first Epic Cameras. The slow motion was shot at 5k on the Epic.

The Time-lapse is all Canon cameras, shooting raw stills at over 5k. The whole lot is down sampled to 4k for editing and mastering, and then to various resolutions for playback.

To my knowledge it was also the first film to be finished in 16 bit Tiffs. The company that did it did Social Network and Dragon Tattoo.

#20 ·
Sweet!

I'll definitely check the film out even with my stylistic trepidations of the blending of people dancing and partying... with awesome nature photography. I don't see how the two go together.
Unless Tom is trying to compare and contrast, like Ron Fricke's IMAX film Chronos, the beauty and serenity and timelessness of nature and the ancient world with our crazy, hustle-n-bustle modern-day existence.

#22 ·
The proper way to see this would be in a 4k theater. Any chance of a screening in NYC?

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger /forum/post/22083102

Are we humans and our rituals and customs not a part of nature as well?

We're chaotic and out of balance and destroyers of nature, even though we are animals within the same web.

I like how Ron Fricke brings these two opposing forces together in his films to make a statement. We'll see how this one stacks up.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman /forum/post/22084635

We're chaotic and out of balance and destroyers of nature, even though we are animals within the same web. I like how Ron Fricke brings these two opposing forces together in his films to make a statement. We'll see how this one stacks up.

I don't see the separation. Beavers build dams, locusts wipe out vegetation, red tides kill countless sea creatures, bacteria and viruses kill of humans in droves, oil naturally seeps up from the depths to pollute soil and water, volcanoes pollute the air and kill off entire populations of animals and humans alike. While our ability for destruction is greater than other animals due to our intellect (or lack thereof) and tools, we're still a spec in the grand scheme and system of the natural order. The opposition of man and nature is illusory. I'd argue that our ability to identify our destructive habits and stop them make us better than other animals - not worse.

#25 ·
We know what we're doing is wrong and we know our role in fouling our own nests, and yet we keep on doing it (in fact, we're ramping up).

Look at the statistics of who is frequenting our national parks... very few young people. It's like they've tuned nature out and instead replaced it with video games, Twitter, and Facebook.

We'll be the losers for it.

#26 ·
Hi Nigel!

The cineform version certainly is intriguing. Any information about pricing for this option yet? I don't see a 180GB download as problematic - I would rather have this as premium download (takes about 40 minutes with my internet connection) than getting this on hard-disk. Sending a hard-disk by mail overseas is probably not the best of ideas. And it adds to the costs - which will not be "cheap" for cineform I take it ;-)

Kudos for this amazing project and its uncompromising execution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzastromonkey /forum/post/22081662

Hello all,

I'm involved with this film, so can answer some questions if you like.

The film is 48 minutes long, the behind the scenes are 18:23, 13:22, and 6:29 (there are three).

Movie is 16:9 4k - 4096 x 2304.

The H264 4k is 31 Gb and the cineform version is 180Gb 12 bit.

Cheers!

Nigel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.