AVS Forum banner

Brandon's Man Cave Theater Build Log

13K views 58 replies 16 participants last post by  bl2bl2 
#1 ·

**** Updating to 3D Theater! Also building new custom A/V rack.... check towards end of this thread for newer pictures*****

#27 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmCutter
How'd you hang them?
When I get home tonight I will get some better pictures for you...

I just folded them over it'self every however many inches I did and then stapled them to create a fold.... and then I actually put a red rope light up at the top and capped it off with a 1 x 4 (light and 1x4 not pictured yet) so you can't see where i stapled them at the top and at the bottom. and the red rope is a very cool effect... it glows out from under the 1x4. I will try to post pictures tonight of what I am talking about so you can see how I did it... I still have the package for the exact drapes i bought, so i will take a picture of that as well so you can see exactly what I bought in case you are interested in getting the same thing.

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl2bl2 /forum/post/0

When I get home tonight I will get some better pictures for you...

I just folded them over it'self every however many inches I did and then stapled them to create a fold.... and then I actually put a red rope light up at the top and capped it off with a 1 x 4 (light and 1x4 not pictured yet) so you can't see where i stapled them at the top and at the bottom. and the red rope is a very cool effect... it glows out from under the 1x4. I will try to post pictures tonight of what I am talking about so you can see how I did it... I still have the package for the exact drapes i bought, so i will take a picture of that as well so you can see exactly what I bought in case you are interested in getting the same thing.

Where in tarnations did you get the black leather slipcover for your sofa? I'm diggin it.

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonnykins /forum/post/19940492

Where in tarnations did you get the black leather slipcover for your sofa? I'm diggin it.

lol... yea i had to get it to match my front row!

I don't know if i am allowed to give a link to a website on here, so i will PM you where i bought it

#32 ·
Are you doing anything in the way of acoustic treatments or bass trapping? Those curtains will help your highs, but you may need something more substantial for the midrange freqs.

#33 ·
Well I have some of the pink insulation foamcore boards behind the curtains... not really sure if that helps or not but i had extra so i put it back there. I am open to any suggestions that you have because I am clueless about what to do in that department

#34 ·
Finally... I am able to get back on here and post pictures of my 98% finished theater room... there are still a few things left undone... but not that you can see in the pictures :)

This is looking back into the game room area

The screen

The front stage and massive subwoofer box

Seating

The night sky star ceiling... very hard to take a picture of... looks way better in person

You can see the stars show up a little better in this picture... but still looks way better in person... you can actually make out the constellations in person

This is one of my custom light box poster frames

Snack bar (this is one thing thats not finished yet... when done it will have a black padded vinyl lip on it like the poker table)

The black hole! the entrance going down to the theater..... very dark, but in person the blue lights give more than enough light to see the stairs and handrail and makes for a very cool entrance.

#35 ·
Time for upgrades.... I am going to start by building a new A/V rack and moving all the A/V equipment from the Left Column of the stage into the closet under the stairs. This will allow me more space to add new amps for upgrading the subwoofer. I will be filling in the empty space between the two subs with two more subs just like it. I am thinking about getting rid of my Behringer EP4000 and getting two Crown XLS1000 Class D amps to drive the four Fi IB3 18's

I will also be getting rid of the Onkyo and replacing it with a Yamaha Aventage.... and upgrading my current speakers, which are all mismatched anyway, with Klipsch RF-82 series speakers.

I am also going to sell my Optoma HD20 projector and buy pretty much the same projector again, but in the 3D version.

If anybody has any ideas, please let me know!

#36 ·
Is finding out if the room adjacent to my theater would be a good space for an IB setup just trial and error? I am thinking about taking those subs out, adding two to it, and mounting them in the wall at the bottom of the stairs and using the bedroom downstairs for the IB space... what do you think?

#37 ·
Are those by chance the Fusion Lagoon's from Roman?

#38 ·
No, they are Fi Audio's IB318's

#40 ·
DUDE, I am so jealous! Wish I had your building skills. AGGHHHH I am so depressed, I want a room like that so bad, but I have not the skills or the $$$$. ENJOY, you have done an awesome job. BE PROUD.

GOD BLESS

#41 ·
Whoa, real nice work. This has turned out great and I love that custom light box poster frame. You could easily start selling those!

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybutts /forum/post/21780398

Hahahah. He wasn't asking about the subs, he was asking about your theater seating.

Your room looks excellent and has me eager to start mine!! Nicely done and great idea with the sub enclosure.

Boy... I am really smart lol.... those seats are Coaster's Pavillion Theater Seats....

And the sad thing is... I just found out those are not the IB318's like I have thought they were lol... they are the Q series from Fi Audio. So.. now I think I will leave those exactly like they are and buy 2 or4 IB318's and do an IB set up in my adjacent room AND leave the Q subs just like they are... might be over kill but it will be AWESOME! LOL

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer99 /forum/post/21780663

Whoa, real nice work. This has turned out great and I love that custom light box poster frame. You could easily start selling those!

What do you think something like that is worth? I don't care to get rich off of them, but I wouldn't mind making them if somebody wanted it.... it sure beats the heck out of paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars for the "professional" ones

#44 ·
Upgrading the theater to 3D!!!! I am going with Optoma HD3300 for the projector, Yamaha Aventage A3000, Klipsch RF series Speakers, and I think I am going to go with Samsung 3D Blu Ray player... and this is why....

I am thinking about buying this.... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817576001 and 4 3TB Hardrives inside of it and ripping all of my Blu Ray's to this hardrive... according to everything I can find the Samsung BD player has a USB 2.0 port that I should be able to hook this HD Enclosure up to and be able to instantly play my backed up BD from the hardrive. Can anybody confirm this?

#45 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl2bl2 /forum/post/22080613

Upgrading the theater to 3D!!!! I am going with Optoma HD3300 for the projector, Yamaha Aventage A3000, Klipsch RF series Speakers, and I think I am going to go with Samsung 3D Blu Ray player... and this is why....

I am thinking about buying this.... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817576001 and 4 3TB Hardrives inside of it and ripping all of my Blu Ray's to this hardrive... according to everything I can find the Samsung BD player has a USB 2.0 port that I should be able to hook this HD Enclosure up to and be able to instantly play my backed up BD from the hardrive. Can anybody confirm this?

That would probably work, depending on how well the Samsung blu-ray player sees enclosures with multiple drive bays. But if you're going to drop that amount of coin on a whole new system and a 12TB server I think you owe it to yourself to look into an HTPC front end or at the least one of the many varieties of digital media players/streamers that all will give you nice movie covers, backdrops, metadata, etc for playback of your ripped movie collection. Tons of information on the respective forums for those topics here on AVS.

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSparks /forum/post/22084417

That would probably work, depending on how well the Samsung blu-ray player sees enclosures with multiple drive bays. But if you're going to drop that amount of coin on a whole new system and a 12TB server I think you owe it to yourself to look into an HTPC front end or at the least one of the many varieties of digital media players/streamers that all will give you nice movie covers, backdrops, metadata, etc for playback of your ripped movie collection. Tons of information on the respective forums for those topics here on AVS.

How "beefy" of a computer do you need to run Blu Rays (3D) at the best output.... is there a way to compare Apples to Apples a HTPC vs say the Oppo BDP-93? What kind of processor / video card / RAM combo would be as good as or better than the Oppo? I would love to build an HTPC, but, I just have a bad habit of running my "custom" pc up to several thousand bucks when at tigerdirect or wherever

#47 ·
Can you post any pics or tips on the padded rail you have on the poker table and plan to put on the bar area?? I have a bar that I am still deciding what to use for a rail.\\

Fantastic room. Great work.

Thanks

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypuck25 /forum/post/22087755

Can you post any pics or tips on the padded rail you have on the poker table and plan to put on the bar area?? I have a bar that I am still deciding what to use for a rail.\\

Fantastic room. Great work.

Thanks

Yea I will take some pictures of the rail tonight for you. I still haven't done the rail on the bar yet because I decided I am going to put tile on the bar first and I haven't got around to doing that yet.

#49 ·

#50 ·
Ordered HDMI cables from Monoprice.... super nice cables and super nice price....

Just look at how thick these 22 gauge cables are!!!

Just received my Optoma HD3300 and 3D VIP Glasses!

This closet is going to become my A/V rack. Finishing out the walls, ceiling and floor today with sheetrock and hardwood...

The "X" is going to be where the front of the A/V rack is... black glass door for a nice "in wall" cabinet rack set up.

This is the rear location where the access to the rear of the rack will be (inside the closet)

#51 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl2bl2  /t/1306640/brandons-man-cave-theater-build-log/30#post_22080613

You are going to want a server or a NAS instead of the towerraid. That only acts as additional storage. Every time you want to add to your collection, you will have to unplug it from your front end source (BR player or media box or HTPC) and then plug it into your computer that you ripped your media from.

If your storage is on your network through the NAS or server, you can access your files anywhere in the house. What you posted could attach itself to the NAS andbr used as additional network storage but I would not just plug it in. And like someone else said, you would have an issue w the player trying to read from a port multiplied source and not many things do that. And if you're using blu-ray for the source on your media files, find a NAS that has an esata port for expansion. The product you posted, using the esata port, will show massive gains in the transfer speed compared to the archaic USB2.0 port.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.