AVS Forum banner

HT: Has anyone ever moved from high sensitivity speakers BACK to low sensitivity?

43K views 674 replies 70 participants last post by  Mike Garrett 
#1 ·
After receiving my QSC K12 and comparing them to my old monitor audio RS6 i cant believe what ive been missing out on... having a speaker that can hit peaks of 120-125db in my room is a totally different movie experience.

My room is 19x13' sealed.

The question is if anyone has ever gone back to low sensitivity speakers in their theater after hearing high sensitivity? and why?

Im going to go out on a limb and say that the only people with low sensitivity speakers in their theater have never heard high sensitivity speakers or require high WAF. or maybe their room is 12x12

#177 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater /forum/post/22085139

I have not heard the yorkville but I liked my eD's better than the Triple 8LP's but my eD's were not stock.

I am very interested in Yorkville. My next pair of speakers will most likely be those, AudioKinesis Prisma, or Soundfield Audio dipole point sources. All high efficiency designs.

#178 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance /forum/post/22083440

Also, Toole only recommended horn loaded speakers for very large rooms.

Toole is partial to speakers flat far off axis, which precludes constant directivity designs from his theories. Much has changed since then. For instance, I don't believe this was taken into consideration. It's a game changer.

http://www.pispeakers.com/Pi_Speakers_Info.pdf

#179 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 /forum/post/22086430

With all the comparisons being made in this thread, I'd like to point out that those fared well against the GedLee Abbey and Nathan, music and movies. Comparison done by someone who owns all three, and kept all three.

Another hoarder like ATDG. It's an addiction I tell you. Wait till the TV crew shows up at ATDGs house for a "rescue".

General clarification, Unity and Synergy both Danley, the former licensed or designed for Yorkville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 /forum/post/22086434

My next pair of speakers will most likely be those, AudioKinesis Prisma, or Soundfield Audio dipole point sources.

The 1812s?? Bipolar (asymmetric/variable) point sources. Dipole (asymmetric/variable) bass only.

And ya better start saving yer pennies.

cheers,

AJ

#180 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJinFLA /forum/post/22086571

Another hoarder like ATDG. It's an addiction I tell you. Wait till the TV crew shows up at ATDGs house for a "rescue".

Home Theater system, Abbey L/R, Nathan center, SHO-10 surround duty. Owner did try the SHO-10 as mains for comparison.

Quote:
General clarification, Unity and Synergy both Danley, the former licensed or designed for Yorkville.

Yep, Mr. Danley's creation.

Quote:
The 1812s?? Bipolar (asymmetric/variable) point sources. Dipole (asymmetric/variable) bass only.

And ya better start saving yer pennies.

I thought the top was dipole, too, at least the 12" driver. Hmmm... interesting *strokes beard*.

#181 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 /forum/post/22086430

With all the comparisons being made in this thread, I'd like to point out that those fared well against the GedLee Abbey and Nathan, music and movies. Comparison done by someone who owns all three, and kept all three.

Wait.....did you just say the $395 SHO-10 compared well against the $3,000 GedLee for music?

#183 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy /forum/post/22091154

Wait.....did you just say the $395 SHO-10 compared well against the $3,000 GedLee for music?

No surprise there. By the look of it they use an Eminence pro-sound woofer, probably the Delta 10, and when you limit the low frequency corner to 80Hz as they do you can get a very good result for very little cash.

#186 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 /forum/post/22086444

Toole is partial to speakers flat far off axis, which precludes constant directivity designs from his theories. Much has changed since then. For instance, I don't believe this was taken into consideration. It's a game changer.

http://www.pispeakers.com/Pi_Speakers_Info.pdf

thank you for the Pi white paper link. a lot of good info for a newb like me.

their arguments against symmetrical horns seems very convincing. I am curious where CHT's current 90x90 horn falls in this respect.

#189 ·
I have had many good lower sensitivity speakers but tend to prefer CBT arrays because I can get both excellent sound quality and high output plus large dynamic capability. My earlier experience with straight (conventional arrays) always had me going back to arrays because of the lack of compression. CBT's sacrifice some of the output of a straight array but offer better vertical coverage which surpasses anything else in arrays or conventional designs (a big advantage for theaters with tiered seating).

#190 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67  /t/1412527/ht-has-anyone-ever-moved...ers-back-to-low-sensitivity/180#post_22100905

It is just a design choice that Parham has made. The GedLee oblate spheroids are 90 degree waveguides, I believe.
you are absolutely right, all of his speakers use 90 degree waveguides.

I just got a word that my set of SHO-10s is delivered.

#191 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zheka  /t/1412527/ht-has-anyone-ever-moved...ers-back-to-low-sensitivity/180#post_22109090

all of his speakers use 90 degree waveguides.
The woofer also has a uniform radiation pattern, so Earl's thought is why have the HF and LF sections different? In truth it doesn't matter that much on the vertical plane, whereas having similar horizontal dispersion at the crossover frequency is. You can get that result with both HF section types.

#192 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1412527/ht-has-anyone-ever-moved...ers-back-to-low-sensitivity/180#post_22109413

The woofer also has a uniform radiation pattern, so Earl's thought is why have the HF and LF sections different? In truth it doesn't matter that much on the vertical plane, whereas having similar horizontal dispersion at the crossover frequency is. You can get that result with both HF section types.
So is thetre any validity to Pi's narrow front lobe in symmetrical horns reasoning?

#193 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn  /t/1412527/ht-has-anyone-ever-moved...peakers-back-to-low-sensitivity#post_22071915

I'll keep my 104 dB Klipschorns, thanks. They do music very well.

Ditto on my 1979 Klipsch Cornwalls(real wood cabinets) we purchased new. 102bd 1watt/1 meter. The Heritage Series Klipsch sound a lot

different from the newer towers they sell now.

#194 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zheka  /t/1412527/ht-has-anyone-ever-moved...ers-back-to-low-sensitivity/180#post_22109826

So is thetre any validity to Pi's narrow front lobe in symmetrical horns reasoning?
Maybe, I lost interest by the end of page 1. Brevity is not only the soul of wit, it also keeps your audience awake.

#196 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zheka  /t/1412527/ht-has-anyone-ever-moved...ers-back-to-low-sensitivity/180#post_22113167

here is the relevant page...there is also a video on their site about it.
IMO much ado about not so much. Wayne and Earl both stand foursquare behind the type of horn that they sell, surprise surprise. Should they both show up here to debate their positions it would go on for days, if not weeks.

#197 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1412527/ht-has-anyone-ever-moved...ers-back-to-low-sensitivity/180#post_22113230

IMO much ado about not so much. Wayne and Earl both stand foursquare behind the type of horn that they sell, surprise surprise. Should they both show up here to debate their positions it would go on for days, if not weeks.

in my situation, and I suspect this is fairly typical, vertical directivity is not that important because my speakers are on-axis in vertical plane.

this maybe a valid consideration for side surrounds however

#198 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zheka  /t/1412527/ht-has-anyone-ever-moved...ers-back-to-low-sensitivity/180#post_22113836

in my situation, and I suspect this is fairly typical, vertical directivity is not that important because my speakers are on-axis in vertical plane.

There are lies, there are damnable lies, and there are statistics. In this case substitute 'charts' for 'statistics'. The lobing shown on that chart is at a certain unspecified distance. What it doesn't show is vertical polar response at a typical listening distance, where said lobes would probably have disappeared. As with statistics charts can be configured to reinforce a particular point of view.

#199 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zheka  /t/1412527/ht-has-anyone-ever-moved...ers-back-to-low-sensitivity/180#post_22113836

So you don't hear all the floor and ceiling reflections (axes) and the total radiated power summation doesn't change the total tone, timbre, etc. perception at your ears?

Interesting room you must have.

#200 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJinFLA  /t/1412527/ht-has-anyone-ever-moved...ers-back-to-low-sensitivity/180#post_22113951

So you don't hear all the floor and ceiling reflections (axes) and the total radiated power summation doesn't change the total tone, timbre, etc. perception at your ears?

Interesting room you must have.

Oops, bad choise of words. Sure vertical directivity is very important. I meant to say that off-axis vertical nulls is not an issue in my case.

#201 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1412527/ht-has-anyone-ever-moved...ers-back-to-low-sensitivity/180#post_22113938

There are lies, there are damnable lies, and there are statistics. In this case substitute 'charts' for 'statistics'. The lobing shown on that chart is at a certain unspecified distance. What it doesn't show is vertical polar response at a typical listening distance, where said lobes would probably have disappeared. As with statistics charts can be configured to reinforce a particular point of view.

Good point

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.