AVS Forum banner

WARNING my Avdeco Plasma TV stand EXPLODED (Pictures)

203K views 183 replies 118 participants last post by  PhilipsPhanatic 
#1 ·
This is a warning about the Avdeco line of plasma and TV stands.

Last fall I purchased an Avedeco HR420 TV stand for my bedroom. This stand runs about $1000, so it is definately not cheap. One of the reasons I chose this stand was that the top shelf had a "stated" capacity of 250lbs. Since I was putting my Panasonic 50PX500U Plasma on it, I wanted to make sure it was solid. Since the Panny was only 114lbs, I figured I had plenty of support for it.

All was fine for many months, and then, just last month, I happened to be sitting in the next room, when I heard a tremendous crash. I thought that a plane had hit my house, and I ran into my bedroom to see what happened.

The top shelf of the Avdeco stand EXPLODED sending shards of glass to every corner of my bedroom. Fortunately for me, I wasn't sleeping at the time, or I would have been hit by flying glass.

Amazingly, my plasma tv, fell straight down, and was resting precariously on the next two shelves. I quickly called my wife in to help me lift it off and to the ground. It is really a miracle that the plasma didn't fall over on its face.

For the last several weeks, I have been calling and e-mailing Avdeco Inc, and the online dealer Threshold Concepts, but have recieved no response, either via e-mail or phone call. It is obvious that both the dealer, and the manufacturer is not interested in any repeat business, or taking care of the customer. I am left with a useless tv stand and am out $1000.

Anyone considering purchasing one of these stands, even a different model, I would strongly caution you to consider a different manufacturer.

See less See more
Reactions: CPMD
#2 ·
If they are ignoring you for several weeks, undoubtedly you will need assistance from the legal system to make good.

The company website does not provide any useful contact information.

This is the Whois data for the domain.

AVDECO, INC.

3550 Wilshire Blvd. #736

Los Angeles, CA 90010

US

Domain name: AVDECOINC.COM

Administrative Contact:

Choo, Chong paul@cosmomediagroup.com

3550 Wilshire Blvd. #736

Los Angeles, CA 90010

US

213-386-2519 Fax: 213-386-3597

#3 ·
Damn man, sorry to hear that. Glad nobody in your family was hurt and glad your plasma was fine.

I would definitly be going after these guys. File complaints, go in to the store in which you bought it and talk to the manager.

#5 ·
You need to submit a claim in writing

is all your gear OK?

maybe you should consider wall mounting the plasma

#6 ·
Holy cr@p! That is the ugly side of a glass top stand. Tempered glass doesn't crack - by design it fragments when it's compromised. I've seen similar results from a glass coffee table that had a heavy bookend dropped on it. If the mfr doesn't respond to you they are a serious low-life company. I think I'd do the same thing you're doing - make the story known far and wide on the 'net. A letter from a law firm might get a response, but you'd eat up that $1000 pretty fast. Wow...

#8 ·
Free,

Glad you (and your plasma) weren't hurt!

Have you considered calling or emailing your local TV News shows? There are plenty of consumer reporters here in NY that love going after deadbeat retailers and manufacturers, maybe you have some in your neck of the woods.

Rick

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyj19 /forum/post/0

If they are ignoring you for several weeks, undoubtedly you will need assistance from the legal system to make good.

The company website does not provide any useful contact information.

This is the Whois data for the domain.

AVDECO, INC.

3550 Wilshire Blvd. #736

Los Angeles, CA 90010

US

Domain name: AVDECOINC.COM

Administrative Contact:

Choo, Chong paul@cosmomediagroup.com

3550 Wilshire Blvd. #736

Los Angeles, CA 90010

US

213-386-2519 Fax: 213-386-3597

Wow! I am so glad I didn't opt for glass. I use a Salamander which is hardwood and extruded aluminum. I'd trust that with a 65" set, no problem. Also, it costs about $750 (basic configuration w/o doors and such) delivered and can fit at least 6 components underneath.

Just for the record, was your stand manufactured in China? Such goods are notorious for defects, cutting corners, misrepresenting specifications, poor quality control, etc.

Thanks for sharing this experience! Amazing your Panasonic survived!

#10 ·
Thanks for the thoughts guy's. My experience is that the legal process, would not be worth the hassle, and I am getting satisfaction knowing that others won't make the same mistake as I did, from my post here.

I did get EXTREMELY lucky. I just happened to be home that day, in the next room, and was able to rescue the plasma, as it was dangling precariously on top of the two middle shelf components. There was no damage, not even a scratch to the plasma.

The Amp did get glass in it, and I had to take it apart, and vacuum out the innards. It still works fine.

So, this shows the perils of not only glass, but ordering from an online dealer as well.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free /forum/post/0

Thanks for the thoughts guy's. My experience is that the legal process, would not be worth the hassle, and I am getting satisfaction knowing that others won't make the same mistake as I did, from my post here.

I did get EXTREMELY lucky. I just happened to be home that day, in the next room, and was able to rescue the plasma, as it was dangling precariously on top of the two middle shelf components. There was no damage, not even a scratch to the plasma.

The Amp did get glass in it, and I had to take it apart, and vacuum out the innards. It still works fine.

So, this shows the perils of not only glass, but ordering from an online dealer as well.

Sorry for your troubles.

Look at the bright side, you and your wife weren't hurt and your plasma could

have been destroyed too.

#16 ·
Tempered glass CAN be defective. I heard a news story on the radio the other day about people who had experienced "exploding" glass-top patio furniture. These pieces of furniture didn't even have anything heavy on them -- just heating up and cooling down over the course of the day was enough to cause them to spontaneously shatter!

#19 ·
Thanks for the warning about Adveco.

I'm glad it didn't take anything with it.

Having seen the way glass fails, it has always given me the "willys" when it's used as the only means of supporting a heavy object. After reading this thread, there's no way I'd buy a glass TV stand. I mean, that's downright scary. It's, IMHO, a safety issue. I look at those photos and think, "What if there was a child sitting in front of the TV?".

I suggest a wood replacement. May not be as aesthetically pleasing, but if it fails it won't explode and spray the room.

#22 ·
Free thanks for the headsup! Glad no one got hurt too.

Did you see the prior post about having the charge canceled by your credit card company if you charged it? You have something like 4 years to dispute a charge, but if you have pictures you could email/fax to the CC company that will reverse the charge immediately I am fairly confident.

Good luck!

#25 ·
Free - Thanks for posting this. I'm grateful no one in your family was hurt.

The vendor could make this right for $1000 or so. I can't believe they would not respond to you and risk hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages by having your story posted on hundreds A/V sites on the web. Unbelievable.

I would also email this to Consumer Reports.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.