AVS Forum banner

Anthem AV receiver at CES?

163K views 1K replies 152 participants last post by  DongTeamSetup 
#1 ·
Any news or sightings at CES of the Anthem receiver(s) that was mentioned at CEDIA?

#7 ·
Anthem had announced to dealers in late spring 2009 that they were entering the AV receiver market ($1k - $2.5k range). I assumed, and they implied, that they would be showing something at CEDIA 2009 but they didn't. So I was hoping they would show or say something firm as far as release dates go at CES this year.

The only thing I've been able to find so far is this cryptic quote from Secrets:

"Expect some really great surprises from Anthem in the coming months leading up to CEDIA [2010]."

http://cave.hometheaterhifi.com/prof...-piero-gabucci

#9 ·
This was an email response from Anthem...

Good morning John,

At the moment Anthem does not have anything planned other than our present AVM50v and D2v.

The only other products that we will be offering is the Receiver lineup in the mid spring/early summer of this year.

Regards,

Andrew Cirurgiao

Technical Support

#11 ·
Uh-Oh...

I am not Andrew... This was just an email response I received from him...

Sorry for the confusion!

Here is another follow up email from Andrew:

My email to him:

Quote:
Thanks Andrew...

Any specs on those new receivers? I didn't see or hear anything at CES... Comparable or better sound processing to my AVM20 2? HD Audio? Pre/Pro?

Cost?

I am not really interested in video processing... To be honest I wish you could upgrade my AVM20 to include HD Audio without all the video processing! Any chance you could do a custom job?

Reply:

Quote:
Good morning John,

We do not currently have any specs/pricing on the receivers yet.

As for the sound quality; we currently do not have any working/demo units available.

As for custom jobs on the AVM20; we no longer offer any upgrades for the AVM20 nor are any customs jobs done by Anthem, other than factory designated upgrades.

Regards,

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTT917 /forum/post/17934545

Anthem will be releasing 2 AV receivers ($1300 and $1800 MSRP) in late spring / early summer 2010. The best news as far as I'm concerned is that they will both come with A.R.C.

If that happens, they will be a steal. ARC will knock your socks off

John

#15 ·
That seems like a very good price. I was trying to decide between Integra, Onkyo, and Denon, but I think I'll wait to listen to the Anthems. The Paradigm Studio 100s I was auditioning were hooked up to Anthem separates and they sounded great. I realize an AV receiver won't be as good or powerful as separates, but I don't need that much power. As long as the AV receiver sounds musical and has the main features I want, I'll be happy. I don't need multi-zone and the internet/network connectivity that is being offered in today's AV receivers is about 5 years behind current computer technology. I hope they can stick to these MSRPs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTT917 /forum/post/17934545

Anthem will be releasing 2 AV receivers ($1300 and $1800 MSRP) in late spring / early summer 2010. The best news as far as I'm concerned is that they will both come with A.R.C.

#16 ·
This is very interesting news
. I had a AVM30 a few years back and would still have it but I wanted HDMI 1.3, HBR audio and room correction. If the new Anthem receivers have ARC and similar SQ to that of the AVM30 I would not hesitate to buy one.

I also found Anthem's service to be excellent. The few times I called Anthem with questions there was almost always someone there to answer my questions if not I would get a call back very quickly
. I think this is great move by Anthem to make products in a more affordable range such as a lineup of AVRs.

Bill

#18 ·
I talked to my dealer, and he seemed to think that June was firming up as a release date. Paradigm rep told him that they wanted to get everthing debugged and bulletproof for release, and that was the cause of the delay. The dealer was under the impression that there would be a model just under $1000 and one about $2500, so I don't know if that means there will be 4 models (along with $1300 and $1800 mentioned above). Also heard that ARC would be included. Perhaps there will be two models and ARC will be an add-on, which would explain the four prices. There was also talk of HDMI 1.4 and that may have been part of the delay. Can't wait to hear something official.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by favorini /forum/post/18392653

I talked to my dealer, and he seemed to think that June was firming up as a release date. Paradigm rep told him that they wanted to get everthing debugged and bulletproof for release, and that was the cause of the delay. The dealer was under the impression that there would be a model just under $1000 and one about $2500, so I don't know if that means there will be 4 models (along with $1300 and $1800 mentioned above). Also heard that ARC would be included. Perhaps there will be two models and ARC will be an add-on, which would explain the four prices. There was also talk of HDMI 1.4 and that may have been part of the delay. Can't wait to hear something official.

My impression was that there would be two receivers released initially at $1300 and $1800 (June), then the $1000 and $2500 receivers would be released as a "second wave" at a later date. The picture I saw from CES was of a prototype of the $1800 model. It was similar in style to the recently released Anthem Blu-ray Disc player.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTT917 /forum/post/18395432

My impression was that there would be two receivers released initially at $1300 and $1800 (June), then the $1000 and $2500 receivers would be released as a "second wave" at a later date. The picture I saw from CES was of a prototype of the $1800 model. It was similar in style to the recently released Anthem Blu-ray Disc player.

Found this reference to the June timeframe, four models, and matching the BLX200.

#23 ·
OK, so, yes, I will HAVE to have one.....Now, if Anthem can come out with a Receiver that has ARC for that kind of money, how come they haven't done a pre/pro with ARC for that kind of money....I just can't see spending for an AVM-50 or a D-2.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravingndrooling /forum/post/18395916

Now, if Anthem can come out with a Receiver that has ARC for that kind of money, how come they haven't done a pre/pro with ARC for that kind of money....I just can't see spending for an AVM-50 or a D-2.

Maybe Anthem will come out with a more affordable prepro in the future. From what I have read the new receivers will not have the same processing power and features that ARC has in the AVM50v and the D2v. Just as my Onkyo 886 has Audyssey MultiEQ XT which does an excellent job but I can step up and buy the Pro version upgrade. The Pro version would give a better calibration than the XT version with much more flexability from what I have read.

Same as for video processing in that I would think the receivers will not have the Sigma Designs VXP processing. I am very interested to see how the Anthem receivers will spec out and how they will sound in comparison to the AVM30 I owned.

Bill

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by favorini /forum/post/18395872

Found this reference to the June timeframe, four models, and matching the BLX200.

From that link:

"Paradigm’s Venetian outpost was home to the newly introduced Anthem BLX200 Blu-ray player – designed to cosmetically match a four-model Anthem receiver line that will begin rolling out in June, said marketing manager Mark Aling"

Again, I would expect to see two receivers released initially in June, then two more at a later date.

#26 ·
Any clue about other features like DLNA or playing audio/video from USB devices? Wireless vs. wired Ethernet? I hope they don't cripple ARC too much, and they give details on all four models before the first two come out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.