AVS Forum banner
1M views 16K replies 720 participants last post by  Canuck_TO 
#1 ·

Just bought the ES8000 from best buy. I called my local best buy to see if they had any, she said they have one each at 2 stores locally. I thought, oh ok they are probably show units but ill try anyway. I walked in at the perfect time. They got one in and just opened the box when I asked the guy if I could have it. All he did was cut the tape on the top of the box, the stand wasnt even removed yet (its on the top). He ended up selling it to me. Got some pics if anyone is interested.

Anyway. Im now selling my UN46B8500. Works graet, I have all original packaging and boxes. Im not sure what to sell it for yet. Even though the set is a couple years old, it has maybe a year (or less) worth of use because Ive been out of the country several times since i bought it.

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holton0289 /forum/post/0

Just bought the ES8000 from best buy. I called my local best buy to see if they had any, she said they have one each at 2 stores locally. I thought, oh ok they are probably show units but ill try anyway. I walked in at the perfect time. They got one in and just opened the box when I asked the guy if I could have it. All he did was cut the tape on the top of the box, the stand wasnt even removed yet (its on the top). He ended up selling it to me. Got some pics if anyone is interested.

Anyway. Im now selling my UN46B8500. Works graet, I have all original packaging and boxes. Im not sure what to sell it for yet. Even though the set is a couple years old, it has maybe a year (or less) worth of use because Ive been out of the country several times since i bought it.

Post em!

#6 ·
Thanks for the pics. Please post more, once you get it all together. I already like the base way more than the 2011 spider legs. One of the reasons why I didn't get a Samsung.

Please tell us more when you can. ie. Issues or quirks you notice and PQ. There is just one review on Amazon for this model, and it isn't favorable. I'm guessing you paid full price.

#7 ·
Interesting that it seems you've decided to sell the B prior to making critical evaluation of the E? I gather the B is somewhat of a holy grail set, being back lit + local dimming whereas the E is edge lit. Any comment here on relative quality differences?

#10 ·
Just so you know, the ir blaster is to have voice command of your SAMSUNG dvd,blu ray, set top box, etc... If it is not a SAMSUNG product it will not work. I also can tell you that as far as the motion control , realize where the camera is and if you wall mount it you must be in view of the camsera for the motion control to work properly. I have demoed these sets in New York as the spring production showcase and they all seemed to work rather well. The voice activation does require you to speak clearly - and if the tv is in a noisy room, you can speak into the remote as it has this feature installed. The voice control did take a second or two , but it was still faster than typing in " cute kitten pictures" or faster than fumbling with remote looking for a channel. Let us all know how these features work for you. I am also, very interested on your opinion of the pq and any shortcomings you may observe. I hope you enjoy the set and eveything works well for you. Please keep us all advised as to your findings. ENJOY !!

GOD BLESS

#14 ·
I called my BB earlier in the day and they had the es8000 in the back (he had to go and check). I asked about the 7500 and he looked in the computer and said no they didn't have any. I asked him if he could look to see if they were going to carry it or not (it is a tiny best buy), and he looked it up and said "hmmm, thats weird, it says we actually do have one in stock".

Their website still says they don't have any in stock.

#16 ·
+1 on the official owners thread.

#17 ·
sure i can change the title. I will say im not sure i really want to sell the b8500. Its a 46in and the es8000 is a 55in. The quality of the 8500 is still better. Im going to try to set them up next to each other and make sure my mind isnt playing tricks on me. The menu layout/system and responsiveness is hands down better with the es8000.

This set does have only 3 HDMIs for some unknown reason. Ive already run into problems with the camera, and voice control. If you use anything other than the TVs speakers, voice wont work, as far as i can tell. It says this very thing while going through the setup. The camera isnt pointed directly at any seat, and there is no way position the cam (short of moving the entire TV) so Im not going to use it right now.

The IR device onnly works (as stated above) with other samsung products, so hope you like sammys.

The "mouse" remote is an interesting feature. Im still playing with it, but if your getting one, be prepared to use the return button. I think im about to wear the paint off that button.

The internet, for one reason or another, does not allow me to connect to the world right now. This may be a problem with my wired connection. I have seen several places where it asks if you want to turn on the wireless internet connection. I diddnt know if this was something built in or what. I usually dont use wireless but im going to set it up and see if it works.

The bezels are really thin, maybe thinner that the prior model, but the thickness of the TV is about equal to the 8500. I diddnt know what to expect.

Im not crazy about the stand, but i knew this going into it.

The screen comes extremely bright out of the box. I think i underestimated the quality of the 8500 now that I have sat and watched TV for several hours. There does appear to be uneven lighting across the picture. Ill try to go into more detail after I setup both sets for comparison.

As for 3d....well they give you 5 glasses, for whatever thats worth. I highly doubt ill watch 3d much, if at all. Still look like cardboard cutouts standing in front or behind one another. Ive never been one to seek out 3d programming.

hmmm. i dont think I missed anything. If you have any other questions just throw them down and ill try to answer. Im no pro, but i have been staring at the 8500 for a couple years so i know what a decent PQ looks like.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holton0289 /forum/post/0

sure i can change the title. I will say im not sure i really want to sell the b8500. Its a 46in and the es8000 is a 55in. The quality of the 8500 is still better. Im going to try to set them up next to each other and make sure my mind isnt playing tricks on me. The menu layout/system and responsiveness is hands down better with the es8000.

This set does have only 3 HDMIs for some unknown reason. Ive already run into problems with the camera, and voice control. If you use anything other than the TVs speakers, voice wont work, as far as i can tell. It says this very thing while going through the setup. The camera isnt pointed directly at any seat, and there is no way position the cam (short of moving the entire TV) so Im not going to use it right now.

The IR device onnly works (as stated above) with other samsung products, so hope you like sammys.

The "mouse" remote is an interesting feature. Im still playing with it, but if your getting one, be prepared to use the return button. I think im about to wear the paint off that button.

The internet, for one reason or another, does not allow me to connect to the world right now. This may be a problem with my wired connection. I have seen several places where it asks if you want to turn on the wireless internet connection. I diddnt know if this was something built in or what. I usually dont use wireless but im going to set it up and see if it works.

The bezels are really thin, maybe thinner that the prior model, but the thickness of the TV is about equal to the 8500. I diddnt know what to expect.

The screen comes extremely bright out of the box. I think i underestimated the quality of the 8500 now that I have sat and watched TV for several hours. There does appear to be uneven lighting across the picture. Ill try to go into more detail after I setup both sets for comparison.

As for 3d....well they give you 5 glasses, for whatever thats worth. I highly doubt ill watch 3d much, if at all. Still look like cardboard cutouts standing in front or behind one another. Ive never been one to seek out 3d programming.

hmmm. i dont think I missed anything. If you have any other questions just throw them down and ill try to answer. Im no pro, but i have been staring at the 8500 for a couple years so i know what a decent PQ looks like.

Sell me the 3d glasses lol!

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holton0289 /forum/post/21765439

The PQ out of the box for the D8000 was pretty bad until calibration, so you might want to actually take a look at the D8000 thread and try some of the settings in there (I have a set in my sig as well). I'm betting it's virtually the same panel as the D8000, with an upgrade to the micro dimming logic (hopefully at least).

Can you see if there's "Amazon Instant" support in the SmartTV section of this TV? There wasn't any for any of the Samsung 2011 models for some unexplained reason.

Other than that, there are several tests you can do to see if you have any of the dreaded D8000 issues. If you put up a 20% gradient grey screen, it should expose any banding issues. A bright column down the middle of the TV (from top to bottom) should expose any flashlighting issues. If there's any edge bleed, it should be apparent in almost any full screen content (slightly brighter image along the edge for ~1" around the screen).

Thanks again for posting this info! You're the first owner in this forum.

#20 ·
ATA THIS POINT , WOULD YOU SAY OVERALL A GOOD PURCHASE ? OR DO YOU NEED MORE TIME TO GET THE PROPER SETTINGS? ARE YOU GOING TO GET THIS SET CALIBRATED ? i WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT USING THE VOICE CONTROL AND IT HAVEING TO BE TV SPEAKERS ONLY OR TV SPEAKERS ON, MY D8000 CAN EITHER HAVE EXTERNAL SPEAKERS ON OR BOTH TV AND EXTERNAL SO JUST CURIOUS. OH , YES THERE IS BUILT IN WIFI SO YOU CAN BROWS THE WEB APPS MOVIES , YOU SGOULD LIKE THAT, I HOPE.

GOD BLESS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.