or Connect

Posts by JasonATL

For the ones that lost their links, yes. They still functioned as a dumb switch. I had written ISY programs to read a status change on these switches when they were turned on and to set a timer to turn them off (one was bathroom vent fan and the other was a light). The only way that we knew they links were lost is that the fan didn't go off as programmed, but it would turn off at the switch.The one switch that went totally bad was a keypad. It went haywire: the lights...
Congrats on the new house. By reliable, I'm going to assume that you mean: a light or device responds to a remote command from a switch or program (e.g., ISY). If you mean something different by "reliable", then please clarify. I've used Insteon for 6+ years and it has been reliable in my experience. There is more detail in this thread regarding the two homes and systems in which I've used Insteon (I'm about to install it in a third home). In both homes, I made it...
I've had experience with Insteon systems installed in two previous homes and I'm about to install a system in a third home into which we just moved.Looking over your system, Insteon can handle most, if not all, of the items. The reason I hedge a bit on that statement is that I have used Insteon for lighting, HVAC, irrigation (via contact closures), and limited access control/sensing (via motion sensors and contact closures). I have not fully integrated a system into a...
I have used Insteon for about 7 years in two different houses. I used X10 in a house prior to that. In both Insteon houses, I used an ISY 99i (I'm still on the first one that I bought 6-7 years ago). I just moved into a new (to me) house a week ago. My wife has already started complaining about the lack of lighting automation. I'll give you a few more details about my systems below. First and foremost, the ISY, to me, is the key to the system. So, if you go Insteon or...
I just moved into a new house that was built about 10 years ago and had a Sonancy whole house audio distribution system in it. Here's what I can tell: A. The system has 3 sets of 4 wires (Red, Black, Green, White) home run to a panel. B At the panel, there is a Sonance AVCDWP2. This unit accetps an input of a pre-amp level source and a power supply (24vdc). C. There are at least 5 separate volume controls/amps (Sonance AVC 100r) to 5 different rooms. Some rooms have 2...
My $0.02 is that the ISY 99i rocks. It helps Insteon realize its full potential. I've had Insteon for two years and an ISY for two weeks. I used a software approach prior to ISY. The ISY is the extremely powerful, flexible, and reliable. I've not had significant problems with Insteon. Out of about 50 devices, I've had 1 failure. Powerline communications have not been an issue for me at all with Insteon. As Mike points out, the web interface via iPhone (I've actually...
I believe this could be done with Insteon switches and a Simplehomenet dry contact relay (EZI06I or EZIO2X4). You need to use a sensor to sense if the garage door is open (or changes status from closed to open). Here's a setup that someone used an ISY for -- but you wouldn't need the ISY if you just cared about switching the garage light. The link is for the reference of hardware connection: http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?t=1403
I had an installation of about 20+ X10 devices in my prior house and used HomeSeer to control them. When I moved almost two years ago, I knew I wanted to stick with HomeSeer, but I wanted something more robust than X10. After much effort and trouble-shooting, my X10 was fairly reliable, but not immune to random lights on/off or missed commands. I chose Insteon, which was truly an infant at the time. I now have about 21 months with Insteon and it has been very robust and...
One word:Patagonia
By accident, I found my Sony Blu-Ray player to outpace other DVD players at decoding some seemingly difficult source material this past weekend. I've been editing/authoring my own DVD's -- this one of my family's latest trip to Disney World. Anyway, I have some scrolling text in the video. When testing out my work on my "standard" DVD player (a recent Sony 400 DVD upscaling changer) viewed on my 60" 1080p Samsung DLP, the scrolling text had a very annoying flicker. I...