or Connect

Posts by Jay M

Not my HTPC, but my server that I built in November 2008. It has a few more drives now, but nothing else has changed. Corsiar CMPSU-450VX PSU Asus M3A78 PRO AMD 780g chipset MB Athlon X2 4850e If I remember right, each drive added about 10 watts. The picture below is with only 6 HDDs installed.
I just remembered, I have pictures: One important detail- the shelf that the PC is sitting on is flush against the back wall, and there is about an inch between the front edge of the shelf ad the door. This forces the airflow to the front, and hopefully through the PC. Most PC cases are designed to get fresh air from the front.
There are some great ideas here. I'll go ahead and add mine. I don't think all these products existed when I needed them, but my solution works well. I used the quietest 120mm PC fan I could find and mounted it on sheet metal plate that I cut to the right size with tin snips and a jig saw. I covered the plate in gaffers tape to kill any resonance. I screwed the plate to the bottom of the entertainment center where I had cut a 120mm hole. I attached the fan to the...
Do you know specifically which series of ATI cards can stream DTS-HD TrueHD? Also what Blu-Ray software is compatible? thanks, ~Jay
Sonos recommends hard wiring everything for the best results. I noticed the missing Sonos 4 after I was done. I need to go home and re-count Maybe I only have 10 zones. The Sonos wireless is proprietary to ensure control over latency. You wouldn't several linked zones out of sync. When it's hardwired, I think it is using the normal Ethernet. So theoretically, I could at some point add new zone wirelessly and it will just attach to the nearest zone with the best...
Thanks MrBobb, I updated the image to reflect the wired connection to the internet which comes through the U-Verse router. The Sonos uses the Wifi spectrum for its controllers, so it's broadcasting all the time whether or not they are using Wifi to transmit data. ~Jay
I'm not an engineer, so please forgive the messy diagram. I have some old home made CAT5 cable that I plan to replace this week. This diagram is what I'm proposing. I plan to take it all apart, and then, one by one add devices back as suggested above. The diagram doesn't show the wireless stuff, iPhone, iPod, Wii, Mac Book, old laptop. Would you recommend any specific settings on the router or switch to optimize the network? I don't move very many big files, I just...
That's a fair question. The exact model I got was much cheaper than that, but the reason I chose it are because it had 10 ports, a built in power supply, and NO fans. I got tired of cheap crap that doesn't quite do the job, and then fails in two years. Even if I did spend $400, it's a tiny percentage of the total investment I have in electronic toys, and a very significant part. Another goal was to maybe learn a bit about basic, and maybe even intermediate networking. ...
Thanks, this is all very helpful. I still don't know if I have one mistake, or just a handful of things that are bad. But you guys are really helping me think through the system. Ethernet is so forgiving in its design that even things like bad cables, and wrong implementations will still work, but be detrimental to performance. My goal is to make sure all the equipment is working, that everything is wired in an ideal way, and also that the part I know nothing about...
I don't know about wifi channels, but every wireless device does have good reception.