or Connect

Posts by Carl Hyslop

There are plenty of 8-channel sound cards aimed at the pro market, the M-Audio 1010 being just one example. The problem you may have, however, is volume control. The M-Audio 1010, for example, only provides volume control on the first two channels. So volume control on the other 6 would have to be done in software, or outside the PC (eg in your power amp). Maybe there are 8-channel sound cards out there with volume control on every channel. If so and you find one, can...
You're right, and I hope so, too, but actually I think it shows the problem even more clearly, since from what we've heard, they've implemented volume for all 6 channels in hardware on the TheaterMaster. This is a hardware company, and the only solutions they seem to see are to change the hardware. Maybe I'm oversimplifying here, since I am no hardware or sound driver expert. However, I am a Windows programmer, and my experience there, plus common sense, tells me they...
I don't understand this. M-Audio have posted themselves previously (and common sense says it must be) that they CAN control the volume on all 8 channels, simply by scaling the waveform. In other words, by implementing a digital colume control in software. This will add slightly to CPU overhead, and will detriment sound quality ever so slightly (if it's done with 24-bit precision), but it definitely can be done. I think the problem is that M-Audio are looking at the...
>but I wasn't taking into account the effect the electrical interference >from the HTPC was having on the Hi-fi. Hmmm. This is an interesting point. I was using the HTPC as the source in both instances, but it was in a seperate room, and I have voltage regulators on the hi-fi equipment. Still, it would be interesting to hear a "regular" CD player. I will see if I can borrow a Mark Levinson CD transport from my dealer, and do another comparison. The problem is,...
Soren, have you tried the latest WDM drivers? Anything new?
For fixed panels, surely the best solution is DVI? That is, no DACs whatsoever - just digital straight to the projector. Of course, not all fixed panel projectors support DVI (but pretty much all new ones do).
>The point here is that a PC will NEVER be a preplacement for a good >standalone audio system. Why? Beacuse you have mediocre parts, poor >quality power supplies, and a ton of noise generated from the >motherboard, disk drive etc. You can achive reasonable sound by using say >a Midiman sound card, but it won't come close to even a medium priced >audio system I have compared a very high-end audiophile preamp with an HTPC with the same speakers in the same...
Soren, what SW are you running? I'll be setting up a new HT (and HTPC) soon, and then we should get together. I'd appreciate your input...
Jaz - are you using the WDM drivers? Which version?
Good question - I don't know. My biggest problem at the moment is that if I try and adjust the volume while PowerDVD is running, the volume goes to 0. Is everyone else seeing this problem, or am I the only one?