or Connect

Posts by Gary McCoy

You could write a work of any length on this highly detailed topic. A 20 hour video would still be incomplete, but would lose 99.9% of the audience. Ultimately it is a matter of when you pause and summarize the remaining material. A lot of people here at AVS suffer from "the critic's disease", they simply don't like the flavor of anything until after they have peed in it themselves.
I think it is just a question of how detailed you can get without losing the audience. For example I counted 42 different aspect ratios in IMDB, and 26 of those were used for more than one movie, and 18 were used for more than 10 movies. You could write a book on the topic, but you would not sell very many copies. Also, neither the video or the written article discussed the questionable practice of creating distribution prints and distribution media in aspect ratios...
A reboot of a reboot.....like they keep rebooting Superman and Batman. Another view would be yet another movie about mankind's creations turning on him, which was done in 1920 in Der Golem, then redone in 1921 with Il mostro di Frankenstein, followed by my estimate with about 130 Frankenstein movies, followed by Terminators and and other malevolent automatons, Screamers and Androids and Robots and Transformers...... I often wish for original material. Rarely, you get...
Flushed this one, season pass deleted.
I don't know how you receive Cinemax. I DVR'd and found it was HD quality, using DirecTV.The only DVD was a non-anamorphic letterboxed disk, and it was definitely a considerable improvement over that.It was also nice that they broadcast the 28-minute-longer "Special Edition" version rather than the theatrical version. I much prefer the longer movie..
This one is circling the drain for me. I fast-forwarded through about half the last episode, which is a clear danger signal that usually ends with the season pass being deleted. Two more episodes, tops, unless it improves. I am a hardcore SF fan, but teen angst does nothing for me at age 62. I realize I am not the demographic they are aiming for, but there is so little SF and Fantasy programming that appeals to me, and darned little of it is on the CW. At some point...
Well, I saw the season before I read the book, but that's OK. It was genuine Elmore Leonard prose and the plot was intricate.He was after all, 87 years old at the time of his death. As with many older authors, his output had tapered off considerably with age. Had he lived a few more years, we would have been treated to more intricately plotted books that were novelizations of Justified screenplays, in genuine Elmore Leonard style.I also am a fan of the Honor Harrington...
I have been reading the four Raylan Givens books written by Elmore Leonard. The first two novels Pronto (1993) and Riding the Rap (1995) are about Raylan's cases when he worked in Florida. Fire in the Hole (2002) is a short story collection and contains the story upon which the FX series Justified is based. Raylan (2012) is set in Kentucky and was written after Justified was being broadcast, it has the entire expanded cast of marshalls and villians introduced in the FX...
As a teleworker, I have 6 Megabit/sec broadband paid for by my employer. I love it after working hours.That is different situation, I clearly said I was talking about the BBC version which is analog SDTV and quite blurry. However the streaming version is not quite as bad as the DVDs.My guess is the US House of Cards is captured on digital HD video of some sort, as there are no film artifacts. So your two choices are to stream it in the best quality you have available,...
It amuses me when people pay money for the BBC series such as "House of Cards" (1990-1995) which originate on analog SDTV videotape - and even that is to the UK standard which gets compromised when re-formatted to 480i US specs. I got the DVD and thought it was worse than the streaming version. But maybe you like digital filtering....With me, content is king. The wife and I watch "Doc Martin" every Tuesday night, right after it is buffered enough in the DVR to skip the...