or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:

Posts by gmclaughlin

All, I've held back from commenting on this in order to make sure I really knew what had happened. My experience has shown that first reports are nearly always inaccurate, and that's been reinforced by this issue. But Spriteman really hit the nail on the head. What I've found about why it happened doesn't matter. What does matter is that between BHN and WKMG, we jointly failed our customers on this. Period. We know why, and those lessons, while unimportant...
I'm curious how there are 675,000 broadcast-only homes in New York City when the broadcast towers came down with the World Trade Centers. Are the 4 major networks back up in NYC? Did those homes actually wait that whole time to receive broadcasting? People take the given 85% figure that subscribe to either satellite or cable, then assume the other 15% is OTA. In actuality, that 15% is comprised of several segments: Those stealing cable, those stealing satellite,...
Quote: Don't we lose that if the STB is going through the TiVo before being passed to the television? If we ran all the signal outputs through the TiVo -- yes. But we'd run the component or DVI outputs (the HD outputs) straight from the set-top to the TV, and run the SVideo and/or composite inputs through the TiVo, then to the TV. You'd just have to swap inputs on the TV with your remote depending on what you wanted to watch. Quote: But...
Call Comcast and tell them you have lousy picture quality and as them to come out and check the signal. Analog is finicky -- have the tech check you wiring for loose connectors (allowing signal ingress), nicked or corroded cable, and signal strength. The key phrase to use if they're resistant is "FCC proof of performance" testing.
The CBS B-Ball issue: I've been looking at these posts for a couple days now, and I'm not certain I really understand what the question is. Yes, the broadcast did have some blocking, but I suspect that was in CBS's national feed because I'm seeing reports of it in the "HD Programming" threads from markets across the country. With regard to multicasting multiple games vs. an HD feed and an SD, that is purely the network, and to some extent the local station's choice...
Here's the specific information you need: 1) Using an actual branded Tivo: Yes, you can do that. The Pace 550HD has numerous outputs, including DVI, component, composite, and S-video, plus it has pass-throughs for Component and composite. See the picture of the rear panel at this link: http://www.pacemicro.com/products/ma...DC550_spec.pdf I do know this works because I have an actual Tivo running in our lab. It's a bit clunky though. Essentially the cable...
Every cable company in the country is having that problem with Sinclair. Do a search and you'll find public statements by Sinclair that generally opposed the whole HD idea. It's pretty easy to tell who the bad guy is in this one...
Bingo, Yes. It was testing.
There's no mandate that the 8000HD have firewire. The mandate says an HD capable box with a functional IEEE 1394 interface, which will be an S/A 3250. The 8000HD is challenged enough without trying to add firewire to the mix.
The box will be a Scientific Atlanta 3250HD. For whatever reason, they're the only manufacturer offering a 1394 option, and we don't know yet how well it functions. We're just getting the software modification now.
New Posts  All Forums: