or Connect

Posts by Noah

That's not altogether a surprise. Larger drivers have narrower dispersion. This is why many speakers are made with a waveguide on the tweeter. The waveguide makes the tweeter's output more directional so that the tweeter and woofer have more similar on/off axis characteristics.So, having switched to the Klipsch with it's larger woofers (and horn/waveguide on the tweeter), you're able to localize the source of the sound a bit easier as compared to the Bose, which...
50x18'! Got any pics of this setup?I found the FS51s to be a bit less sensitive than my Phase Technology 5Ts, which are a ported 2-way tower with a bit more enclosure volume. I have difficulty gauging speaker impedance and how hard a speaker is to drive. I know what that should sound like, but I don't think I've actually heard it when I could really listen.BTW, I'm glad you finally found a 2nd speaker that you could live with. I was cringing at the thought of taking...
Good to hear you can detect some improvement, even if the ROI isn't overwhelming. Did you re-run the Bose auto-setup routine? If not, that may help, too. I'm not sure how much manual control you get with a system like this, but I would play with levels and crossover points if it gives you the option. It certainly does look better.
Hey Hanes! I haven't updated on my situation, but it turns out that you're largely correct that an OTA antenna will work better than my previous experience indicated. Here's the thing, though: I had a great antenna to begin with. It seemed to be my newer tuner cards and newly-added distribution amp that made the difference for me.I've had a Channel Master CM-4221 for several years. Maybe 3 years ago, I had tried it in the exact same location and orientation where it is...
I like KEF, but I would prefer a speaker with a traditional enclosure in this situation. You'll generally get higher sensitivity and more full-range frequency response with a more traditional speaker as compared to a very flat one designed to be wall-mounted. If you think you can convince your better half to spring for the whole system (and wall mount it, as it was designed for), that would be a great upgrade, but I don't know about just dropping one of the speakers into...
Is it 6" even? A lot of centers with 5.25" woofers are around 6.5" high. Basically everything I can recommend from firsthand experience won't quite fit in a 6" high space. In any case, it shouldn't be a huge sacrifice to go with a center with smaller drivers (and, thus, a smaller enclosure), since I would guess that the Bose system's crossover point is fairly high. I would probably opt for an acoustic suspension (sealed) speaker or else one that's ported in front, so...
Don't think I don't appreciate it!
What are the dimensions of that space? Do you prefer a warmer, mellower sound or a brighter, more strident sound?
Looking great, as always, Dan. Did you use those LED strips under the bar? I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I died inside a little bit on your behalf when I realized that your center channel speaker is narrower than a Wii sensor bar. I cried a single tear and then had to go and hug my tower speakers and 25 lb. center.
I've never seen a really big plasma (or similar quality emissive display), so I have no point of reference on that. I have a 50" Kuro and wouldn't mind a 103" one, certainly. It remains the best display in the house.You may be right. I don't know enough about physics or human vision to explain the exact differences (if any) as we would perceive them. Is diffuse reflection equivalent to diffuse emission to the eye? I'm not sure. It's possible that the qualities I...