or Connect

Posts by agmitch

Last night I watched Paranormal 4 with my daughter (even she thought it was bad) and we could hear the transducers at times. The movie had a loud low frequency hum during certain parts that caused both transducers to rattle while producing almost no shake. I had never heard this before. I'm thinking that this is the noise made by older transducers that others have referred to - it wasn't an overload, just a semi-quite rattle. The rattle was very distracting from the...
So, the 220 feet have been installed. I would say that they made a marginal improvement over the smaller feet, but that could just be my brain trying to justify the $60. Next comes the reciprocating saw; with luck I will get good shake before I cause the collapse of the structure. bill
The top of the riser is glued and screwed to the joists, so no joy on isolating just the top. Also, I don't think that the plywood is strong enough to hold the chairs. Knowing that there is a lot of pressure applied to the rear of the riser due to the small mounting feet, how much joist should I cut out. The entire riser is made from 2x8s. For example, can I leave the outer joists whole? Cut the inside 2x8s down to 2x4s? It will have to be thicker by the chairs; the...
Also, I heard back from Marvin at BK and he suggested: 1) Try adding another transducer. I can try this, but it takes some work to remove from the couch and install in the riser. 2) Try the larger isolators. I will try the 220s. 3) Make the platform less stiff. Still kind of a last resort - but if all else fails I will go to town with a reciprocating saw. bill
Has anyone tried mounting a BK transducer on its side? If I were to use soft isolators and mount the transducer on its side - thru a joist - would I get the desired result? The whole point of the transducer is to move up/down, it would just move the riser sideways. Seems like this would give the seats a pretty good shake... bill
I agree that stiffness is a big issue. I experimented some with different amps and configurations last night; there are a few other things going on. First, I don't think that the banana plugs were fitting into the speaker binding posts properly (my daughter plugged them in and didn't mention that they weren't snug). I switched to bare wire on the binding posts. Second, power seems important . In order to use my crown amp, I have to crank up the output on the sub-out...
Thanks Craig. I wanted stiff joists so that the chairs, which mount on a single leg, would not cause the riser to deform. I think that I overshot some. I am working with Marvin at Guitammer and am a little worried that he will eventually tell me the same thing. If it comes to that, I'll take a reciprocating saw after the joists and see what happens. I'll update with any progress.
The whole thing actually sits on rubber isolators, so they won't hit the floor, but the platform IS very rigid. I could cut down the "joists" if more flex is needed...
I posted this in the construction forum before I realized that there is a Transducer forum. Posted here as well. I mounted a buttkicker LFE Transducer (from a Buttkicker LFE kit) beneath a 4’ x 5.5’ riser. The riser is constructed of ¾” plywood glued and screwed to a base constructed from 2”x8” lumber. Because of seat mounting requirements, there are 8 2x8s in 4 feet so the riser is very stiff. The transducer is bolted directly thru the ¾” plywood (and thru a piece of...
Thanks. I'm a little worried about the capabilities of a single unit as well. Was planning to test the riser with an existing transducer, but a deal came up that I couldn't resist and I ran out of time. Switching the trasducers is coming - its a little down on my list due to the effort required. I have contacted Guitammer support and they are working with me - verifying wiring first. Then I will switch the amps driving the transducers to see if there are power or other...