or Connect

Posts by BrianJohns

Here's my review of an experience I had with a ZVOX 580: http://www.avsforum.com/products/zvox-580-low-profile-single-cabinet-surround-sound-system-with-optical-and-coaxial-digital-inputs/reviews/4614
Hmmmm....thanks!
LOL -- thanks for replying. I got the idea from my Hunter-Douglas drapes. Initially we had hand-held RF remotes for both upstairs and downstairs. Then, Hunter-Douglas came up with a box that hooks to the home network, and provided little "RF blasters" that plug into locations both upstairs and downstairs that send the RF signal to the drapes - iPhone > wifi network > "RF blasters" > drapes. The little "RF Blasters" are nifty little USB dongles that plug into what...
I'm brand new to all of this home automation stuff, so bear with me. You know those 3-packs of power outlet switches with RF remotes that you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot at Christmas time to remotely turn on/off Christmas lights, etc? Is there a home network "hub" that I can add to my network can be taught to control these RF outlet switches devices? And an iPhone app to control the individual outlets? Most of the home automation stuff I've been reading about costs...
I'm looking for a sound bar that provides an on-screen display on my TV of the volume level. Seems like such a simple thing -- but I feel like I'm searching for the Holy Grail! I have a Samsung un55b7100 TV and no current audio system at all...just the TV's internal speakers -- which are horrible and one of them buzzes which is hugely annoying. The audio out jack is a fixed volume level not controlled by the TV, so the TV's built-in volume level indicator doesn't appear...
chinadog, you're a saint for sharing this information! So many forums like this become a litany of problems, followed by speculative suggestions for solutions, but rarely any after-the-fact feedback on what actually solved the problem! I printed the picture of the circuit board and filed it in my Kenwood owner's manual in the event that I experience this failure again and the web site is no longer available. Super job, and thanks for sharing! --Brian
Does anyone have a PDF of the Mintek DVD-1600 manual? Mintek's web site says it's here: http://mintekdigital.com/dvd1600.htm but when you click on the link, the 1600 is not one of the listed manuals. My first email to Mintek about it bounced back with an error "550 unknown user". Any help finding a manual will be appreciated!! --Brian
I've found the same thing to be true with my Dish Network receivers and my Replay 5040. Replay doesn't (apparently) understand anything but Remote Address #1. In my case where I have more than one receiver in a room, I just changed the other receiver to something different so one remote doesn't run both receivers. I still haven't made myself a "channel map" to cross-reference between the Replay channel numbers and my Dish Network "180" package with locals. But keep in...
Whoa!! I just upgraded my satellite system to receive my locals and in the process went through the list of all Dish channels I receive, wrote them down, then went through the "Add/Remove Channels" list on my Replay 5040. It's very confusing because Replay maps the channels to different numbers than those that show up on the Dish receiver. None of the Dish 4-digit channels are in Replay's list as 4-digit channels...they're all mapped to 3-digit numbers. Anyone...
At least one other member of this forum has recently had his Kenwood receiver fixed, for free, and it was also out of warranty.Contact Kenwood...the address and the name (Hazim Jainoor, as I recall) and all the info you need are in this thread. Email them, and mention this thread that explains the problems that many Kenwood owners have had with these units. It seems to help. Here it is for your convenience -- I shipped mine to Cerritos: Kenwood Service Center West 13030...