or Connect

Posts by mwschneider

Well, I tried playing the AC3 test file on my PS3, but it could not see in the file on a USB flash drive. Interestingly, the PS3 *could* find and play the file via the media center connection to my HTPC. I'm not sure how that kind of stuff is handled by the PS3 or by Windows, but for what its worth, it played in 5.1 PCM multi-channel mode, not in Dolby Digital mode. At first I thought there was still no audio during the subwoofer test, but as I played the file...
Quote: Originally Posted by slizzap That says to me it's a configuration issue on the receiver, or maybe in the way it's connected to the receiver. I'm so rusty with my Denon because I set it up so long ago, so I can't tell you exactly where to look. You might want to check in the audio forums. Is the sub set to LFE + Main? Speakers set to Large/Small? (Large affects the sub output). Do you have another device aside from your PC you can test from? For...
At this point I've read enough about S/PDIF, PCM, AC3, stream-wrapping, codecs, encoders, decoders, filters and such that I am beginning to realize just how much there is to learn about multi-channel audio! I interpreted the Denon's hints essentially as you described, although I'm still wondering about the significance of having a Dolby Digital Logo, the "DIG" box, and a "DOLBY DIGITAL" readout all on the same screen. And what the heck are the "ADVANCED" and "AL24"...
Thanks for the reply! I have loaded the latest Catalyst Software Suite, and at this point I am getting some multi-channel sound, but there are still some problems. I don't think SageTV is the problem because I get similar results with all of the players installed on the machine, including SageTV, Windows Media Center, ArcSoft, XBMC, and WinTV. Is there a software tool that I can use to verify that all of the drivers/codecs/filters/decoders/etc. are properly installed...
I installed the latest ATI software from AMD and that changed some things. I was able to select some options that were not visible before. At this point, I am getting multi-channel sound, but it's not exactly right. For example, when I first tried your sample file, it played back in stereo, but the subwoofer test was audible. Since the upgrade, I now hear 5 channels where they should be, the the subwoofer test cannot be heard. I'm, also unclear about what my AV...
Did you miss my question Rene? I am still hoping you will reply with some advice on multi-channel audio via the ATI 4670. -Mark
Yeah, I guess that's the hazard of being in a support role for a long time...at some point it starts to feel like work. I'm guilty of that "time sink" activity as well. But I so envy the concept of everything working properly!Apparently I have version 7.3 "BD Edition". Every time I click on something I see a nag to upgrade to PowerDVD 10 to get Blu-ray and HD, so maybe it is not intended to actually be fully functional.I downloaded XBMC, so if I can't get PowerDVD to...
You know, I thought that was the case, but it's been a while, and this is the first time that I've actually tried to make multi-channel work, so it was giving me doubts.Well, I've seen that before too, but I typically don't pay all that much attention to the audio mode when not actually playing a movie, so as I was trying to prove to myself that the AVR was doing what it was supposed to be doing, it was just another point of doubt.I have PowerDVD, but I hate to admit that...
I posted a related (I think) question in your old thread, but you did not reply, so I guess you're not monitoring that thread anymore...(?) Anyway, the gist is that I bought a SAPPHIRE HD 4670 R graphics card a while back, at your advice in the previous thread, so I was hoping that you might be able to help me sort out multi-channel digital audio playback via HDMI. I am recording ATSC TV via SageTV, and it works fine other than the fact that my Denon AVR never sees...
I certainly do appreciate what you're saying, because even though I've had it for quite a while, I still don't feel like I have mastered my Denon 4308ci's interface. With that said, I believe that it is, in fact, in "auto" mode. For example, if I swap the HDMI cable to my PS3 (without changing the input on the Denon), then I get all kinds of multi-channel formats. Although I have to admit that when I first swapped it, the Blu-ray disc was sitting at the menu screen for...