or Connect

Posts by jbarr

My brother-in-law has a a Dish VIP622. he paid the $40 to turn on the feature that lets him connect an external USB hard drive to archive shows. He connected a 500GB drive, and it worked flawlessly, so he archived about 400GB worth of shows that he wanted to save to watch later, and for us to see. This morning, he went to access it, and the box said that the USB Hard Drive was registered to a different box, and his only option was for him to disconnect it or to...
Wow! What an amazing list! Consider adding SageTV to the list: http://SageTV.com Like MythTV, BeyondTV, MCE, and many others, SageTV offers an excellent feature set in an affordable package.
I've recently built an HTPC running SageTV, and I have to say that I couldn't be happier. Now, I finally have a PVR that provides the features I have been longing for in a system that is easy to use and manage. And it has a very high WAF too! I've been a long, long-time ReplayTV user and advocate. I've owned and used multiple ReplayTV boxes from the original model 2001 through the 5xxx series. Despite ReplayTV's amazing innovations early on, I have been consistently...
I'm a TOTAL newbie when it comes to HDTV's, but I was lucky enough to snag a W7201 this morning. It looks very good. I'm running a home theater PC using SageTV, and it really looks nice. SageTV's UI is sharp and crisp. and I mean VERY sharp and crisp. The video quality (coming form 2 Hauppauge PVR-150 cards) is pretty good. I'm just not used to seeing SD on a large screen, so all the artifacts are apparent. DVD's look very, very good. Again, I don't have any experience...
Went to Best Buy at 3:00am this morning, and promptly drove home after seeing at least 300 people in line. Probably 10 or so tents set up since the afternoon before. Simply wasn't worth it. I Never thought that Anderson, SC would have so many die-hard deal-crazed shoppers! So, I went home, went back to sleep, woke up around 8:00am, and decided to stop by Best buy again "just for fun". The place was really packed with long, LONG lines. I went up to a BB guy working in...
A long, long while ago, I remember seeing a thread that discussed a device that would act a s some sort of bridge between a modem and an ethernet connection. The idea was to connect the phone line from the ReplayTV box to this device, connect this device to your PC, and the ReplayTV could then "phone home" over the Internet instead of having to dial a modem number. It was more than just adding a modem, because the device would have to provide a dial tone to fool the...
I do not have these two working together, but I suspect that you could certainly use them together with some specific limitations. I am assuming your intent is to "offload" content on the Moxi box to a networked ReplayTV box, and then ultimately to a PC. How I would approach it wold be to connect the ReplayTV box to an output on the Moxi box, schedule all recordings on the Moxi box, and then set up manual recordings on the ReplayTV box in sync with the scheduled...
Fortunately, the new placement of the Moxi box relieves me from having to hold up the cardboard! But seriously, the cardboard was just to test the effects of the screen on the box. It does beg the question of just what is the LCD screen emitting that is causing the Moxi's remote sensor to fail? Fortunately, my brother-in-law's room is large enough and open enough that the Moxi box now sits about 3 feet behind the front of the Sharp LCD screen, and about a foot to the...
I never received a response here, but I did get my problem solved with my brother-in-law's Sharp Aquos LCD TV and Moxi box problems. The remote response was extremely sluggish and made the system almost completely non-responsive. Well, it was a strange and interesting process in getting it to work, but we got things working. It turns out that the Sharp Aquos LCD TV's screen was emitting some sort of interference that was preventing the remote sensor on the Moxi box...
My brother-in-law has a Sharp Aquos 30" LCD TV, and recently had a Moxi box connected via component connections. The problem he is having is SEVERE latency in remote response. He has the latest software build from Charter, but just about any remote key press results in severe delays in response. The installer attributes it to a problem with his TV. He says that the TV must be giving off a frequency that is interfering with the Moxi remote. OK, I'm no engineer, but I...