or Connect

Posts by pft

I've owned Meridian gear since 1982, and still have my original equipment that's doing duty as a secondary system almost 20 years later. I bought a new 500 based system five years ago and only budget constraints have prevented a full digital speaker setup. Suffice to say the reliability and sound quality have left nothing to wish for. Where I think Meridian falls down is its amazingly crappy distribution. I have interacted with dealers in the UK, Singapore and in the US...
Don - thanks for the clarification. From your last post I'm taking the Malata can be ruled out as far as having better '4:3 zoom' than the 10HT. I'd still like to get a reading however on the RP-91 vs 10HT zoom performance. And by zoom, I mean the 4:3 Zoom control. Taking a 16:9 letterboxed source (say a laserdisc) the 10HT zoom control as you know blows this up to fill the 16:9 screen. Presumably, the RP-91 'zoom' would do the same thing. So the question is: would you...
Sorry - just realised I'm getting my chips mixed. The RP91 uses Genesis of course. But would still like to understand the differences between 10HT vs RP91 vs Malata 'zoom/auto0scale' performance. Thanks again
Yes Stacy, but I think Jeff's question (and mine) is: what qualitative difference could you expect between zoom mode on the 10HT and the auto-scaling feature on the RP91/Malata et al. 10HT zoom can be quite marginal with many 4:3 letterbox sources and is totally useless with 1.66:1. I'm wondering whether say the RP91 might be a viable option for someone with a lot of non-anamorphic disks. Can you please explain in simple terms how the 10HT zoom operates versus the...
Does anybody have any experience with the Da-Lite Pro-Imager masking system? This is a bit pricey at around $1600 but looks like a feasible solution if you are happy with only two aspect ratios. Best regards, Peter
By comfortable I really meant two things. First, I'm concerned about the potential fire hazard resulting from unattended hardware being left powered on unnecessarily. Second, it seems wasteful and out here in Ecotopia squandering joules is frowned upon. I'm interested in these current sensing outlets, who makes them?
Thanks Dennis for your input and humorous asides. Presumably APS should read APC, the UPS vendor. I take it you don't subscribe to the view put forth in the last issue of Widescreen review that 'commercial/industrial' UPSs are unsuitable for use in HT applications because of undamped mechanical resonances? I think I understand the benefit of a UPS in supplying clean, reliable (actually regenerated) AC, but this doesn't fulfil the requirement to switch power off to...
I'm about 30 days away from having to finalize the design for our major remodel including a new 18 x 24 family/HT room, and would appreciate input and advice on what seems like a myriad of choices for getting clean, reliable and controllable AC power from the wall socket to the HT components. I am putting all the 25 or so components on racks behind a false wall at one end of the room, and have specced two dedicated 20A power lines into this false room. But now what? ...