or Connect

Posts by DiscCollector

Hi Joe, First, thanks for all your work in comparing these pieces for us. I have a quick question for you: In your intial detailed post you said: "The 09FD and DVD-A1 were even most of the time but there were some circumstances where the 09FD showed better color gradations and or depth than the DVD-A1". ...but ultimately, you gave the all-round nod to the A1 - which I found a little perplexing. It seems that in a post just above you're saying they are the same...
Hey - could any of you North American A1UDCI owners do me a BIG favour? Could you please try a DVD from another region (if you have one) and also, if possible, a PAL disc? Word from others in other parts of the world is that the unit arrives from the factory Region-free for DVDs - and I'd like to confirm if this is true for the North American model before I purchase. This is important to me. If you don't have any, I'd be happy to send you a couple of other-region...
Sounds like the Oppo BDP-83 is a great player for the money, relatively speaking - esp. if an "all-in-one" solution is important to you. I'm going to stick with my combination of my Denon 3800 and Oppo DV-983H. I've been enjoying this great pair of machines for a year now, and from what I've been reading about the new Oppo, it seems I still have: - Best (by a slight margin) BD video performance (3800) - Best (or on par) digital audio performance (3800) - Best...
Sorry Quckster2 - can you just clarify/confirm: Are you and Jeff both saying that the other 5 channels are at the same consistent levels (comparing HDMI MPCM to HDMI multi-normal), but ONLY the LFE channel is 4 to 5 db lower (with multichannel PCM)?
Great news that your issue is fixed, Ash. Hey guys, just one minor note re: discussing the 24p fix and associated firmware versions: It is my understanding that the 24p fix does not change the "Release Ver." number/version on the service screen, but rather the "I/P Scaler Ver." number (bringing it to 0803110). It's the OTHER (disc-based) update with the 15 minor fixes that updates "Release Ver." to 1.018. Since they're both being applied at the same time, I guess...
Ash, can you be more specific? What does "stutter city" mean, exactly? Is it better, worse, or exactly the same as before you sent it in for the update? What are you seeing? I for one had my frame stutters completely fixed by the new 24p fix.
Here's a possibility that we may be overlooking: For this initial Realta fix, Denon and S.O. may have wanted to make it available as soon as humanly possible, esp. because for some it meant complete non-operation of the unit with their display. Perhaps now, for the time being, the only way to get this fix into the machine was with the Silicon Optix proprietary software and RS-232 connection. The conversation may have gone something like this: Denon: "We need a fix...
I believe the Lexicon is 5.1 over LPCM. Doesn't bother me though, because: 1) All original film mixes are really only 5.1 2) When disc authoring shops create the extra discrete back channels, they generally use Lexicon processors to synthesize them anyway. 3) Logic7 on the Lex pulls the extra 2 channels out of the 5.1 just fine. So for me, it's a wash. Anyway, I'm off on a tangent - and if you want the extra two channels, you should have them properly. Not sure...
Greyed out in both places: 7.1ch Audio Out on the Quick Menu (and corresponding item in the Custom/Audio menu) + "Surround Back" greyed out in HDMI Multi (LPCM)/Speaker Configuration.
I have some free time this weekend. Are there any specific tests anyone would like me to perform on my updated unit? I have the 3800BDCI -HDMI> Lexicon MC12HDB EQ -HDMI> JVC RS1U