or Connect

Posts by JerryW

Forgot 4K, at 12' away from the TV the average human can barely resolve more than 720p on a 60" tv. If I were you, I'd be looking at 70" tv's - there are some decent ones under $2K. Unless you watch a lot of dark and shadowy movies, whatever you give up in contrast will be made up 10x over by the extra 10" of picture -- especial for live sports where contrast doesn't really matter since the picture is always so bright. Here's some background on the limits of the human...
What is more likely? (1) Seiki is lying and no one else has noticed it, despite all the people who have hooked them up to PCs to use as a monitor rather than to watch video. (2) A one-post wonder who claims to have already returned the TV has made up a story to troll people.
I don't want to hijack so this is the only thing more I will say - privacy is not black and white, just like you as a person don't consist of a single data point. The more information accumulated about you and your family, the greater the risk that something in there will be useful to someone who doesn't have your best interests at heart.
Downsides to a smart tv: (1) Your TV will spy on you and report all of your usage back to the manufacturer. If you use the tuner in your tv, it will even report back what shows you are watching. They will correlate this information via your ip address to your web browsing like facebook logins and online purchases (and thus your name, address and phone number too). This information will be used to do things like pick advertising strategies for both products and...
FWIW, ResellerRatings has a long history of being willfully shilled. I remember something like 10 years ago TigerDirect had a deservedly terrible rating on there and then over a period of about 6 months it from 1-2 to 8-9 because of a massive influx of those "1-post wonders." RR didn't do a thing about it, you can still see those reviews if you go back through TigerDirect's history over there. Like most of these sorts of places (carfax, BBB, etc) if a place has a bad...
Depending on how uptight your wife is, it's probably more of a case of adjusting the TV the couple of times a year that you want to light a fire.
Soundproofing isn't necessary. Single-story home in the sticks. Unfortunately the sort of treatments in your picture are a non-starter due to the clutter. I was thinking more along the lines of roxul on the ceiling behind a fabric-wall type of system. Maybe even removing the sheetrock, filling the voids between the beams with roxul and then covering the whole thing with stretched fabric like from these guys: http://www.fabric-wall.com/ One concern would be sagging. ...
Redmere doesn't seem worth it for short runs where you can get away with thinner gauge cabling anyway.
What is DD? Also it isn't just echoes from the audio system. He'd like to quiet the room in general.
A friend has had some water damage to his sheetrock ceiling. He's going to have to replace a lot of it. It is a large room that has always been very echoey, so I thought now would be a good time to explore options for reducing the echoes as part of the ceiling replacement. I see lots of info on blocking sound transmission through a ceiling, but not much on ceiling materials that absorb or diffuse sound in a residential installation (which translates to something that...