or Connect

Posts by JerryW

Quote: Originally posted by Dean Roddey And I think that, if a lot of commercial companies started making lots of huge bucks off of software that developer weenies did in their spare time, they'd... Well, I said it before, and I really think this perception is at the root of your misunderstanding of free software. It isn't about people working for free - it is about paying for software based on the production costs which provides plenty of money to...
Quote: Originally posted by Dean Roddey There's nothing wrong with using free software, but how did most of the people who worked on that software put food on the table? It wasn't doing free software. It was most likely working for a company doing commercial software. As I said, I wrote the Apache C++ XML parser, but both the C++ and Java XML parser projects were financed by the evil, greedy corporation IBM, and they still are for the most part, and a lot of...
Quote: Originally posted by Dean Roddey I disagree with pretty much all of that to the point it's not even worth commenting on, Thanks. I strongly recommend that you actually read some of the literature on the subject. I can't claim any of the ideas in my message as original, every single point is just a reiteration of ideas and research presented by "IP" lawyers and economists at various ivy league institutions (well, and the editorial policy of...
Quote: Originally posted by Dean Roddey Even a cynic like me doesn't belive that kind of silliness. The Congress is just as likely to do weird contortion acts because of their fear of the electorate as they are of their fear of corporate America, which is perhaps why they seldom seem to get much done since they are the perennial man in the middle between these two forces. I am a big fan of congressional deadlock, it keeps them from really screwing...
Unfortunately I must totally disagree with Chris and Tom. If congress were to revisit copyright, et al anytime in the near future the result would be an even further skew towards corporate interests and away from any sort of objective evaluation of effectiveness in generating innovation. The problem is that despite the slow boil of events like the broadcast flag and the whole RIAA-vs-Everyone conflict, the general public is not even close to being aware of the deeper...
Quote: Originally posted by kelliot My vote is for a 10 year copyright on digital material. That and ten grand will probably get you a bill sponsored in congress. It won't pass with only ten grand behind it, but hey, at least you will get one vote where it counts.
tintruder - I am pretty sure that the CATV will not cooperate in any form whatsover with an open-source system to decrypt QAM. Heck, the chances of them cooperating with a closed-source system are pretty small too. Just look at DirecTV and Dish, neither will provide any sort of support for the PC hosted satellite tuner cards, even those with slots for access cards just like the standalone tuners use.
Quote: Originally posted by rbtconsultants Thanks Jerry - I agree this appears to be about CONTROL. However, it should be about revenue and profit. Isn't that what any business model should be about? And in my opininon the revenue and profit model of these content providers/distributors is not in significant danger from recording and distribution of HD content in the foreseeable future. All product distributors suffer some loss from stealing....
Bob, the heart of the issue here is not about the content itself, it is about control of distribution. The term, "the copyright cartel" refers to the situation that all these big corporation represented by the likes of the MPAA and the RIAA are not actual artists and creators, they are only middlemen. These middlemen have built an entire business around the paradigm of copyright and the flawed concept of copyright as a physical property (aka economics of scarcity). ...
As others have mentioned, pchdtv already has such a PCI card. If something new were to come of this thread I would rather see a device that hangs off firewire and/or USB2 so that it would be: 1) Usuable in a mini-itx system or similar system where PCI slots are limited to only 1 or 2 for the entire system. 2) Easily disconnected and moved from system to system (or hidden away in case the thought police come after you). Both firewire and usb2 can provide power so...