or Connect

Posts by pcdvdguy

After the introduction of Panasonic's TM700 camcorder, there were a few threads on the subject of 1080p50/60 playback on PCs/Macs. I think the (non-scientific) forum consensus was that older generation GPU-acceleration couldn't handle 1080p50/60 without stuttering. My (desktop) Geforce 9800GT and (laptop) 9300M stuttered severely with PowerDVD 8 and (Windows 7) Media Player. Disabling hardware-acceleration in PowerDVD did the trick on my desktop, but my laptop CPU was...
I don't think a third-party converter would help either program, because the base editor (and not the converter) still handles the final-encoding, and that is the bottleneck. I've tested both Premiere Elements and Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 10. They will happily import the Panasonic's 1080p50/60 MTS files. Out of the box, neither app will export (encode) back to that format. You either have to settle for 720p50/60 or 1080i25/30. But in the case of PE9, you can create...
I've been unable to get 1080p60 clips to play smoothly on my Windows 7 x64 PC. It's equipped with an Intel i5-750 2.66GHz CPU and NVidia Geforce 9800GT/1GB. Clips stutter with some dropped frames, and CPU-utilization is less than 5%. If I try a third-party player (such as Cyberlink PowerDVD 8), the result is exactly the same when Hardware-acceleration is enabled. If I disable hardware-acceleration, playback is smooth (CPU-use increases quite a bit.) I've been...
That's odd. Are you sure youtube does that for every user-video? Because I've watched plenty of user uploaded videos on youtube at frame-rates less than 30fps. Lots of (unauthorized) ripped primetime TV-shows are posted at 24fps. Since Adobe Flash 10.1, right-clicking on many youtube videos brings up a 'show video info' box, which lists realtime statistics. I've seen the rate fluctuate from 6fps to 24fps on some low bitrate videos -- the fact that they max out at...
My hypothesis is that either the Purevideo3 (VP3) hardware, or the NVidia Windows drivers for Purevideo3 (and earlier) GPUs, don't handle 1080p60 video correctly. I get stuttering on both my Geforce 9800GT (1GB) and a laptop's NVidia 9400M (256MB). On both systems, the task-monitor reports CPU-usage under 10-15%, so it's definitely not a CPU-issue. (Laptop has an C2D P8400 2.26GHz, and desktop has an Core i5-750 2.66GHz.) On both systems, if I turn off GPU-acceleration...
I just bought Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10 Suite (VMS10) Is there a trick for editing 1080p60 video? I can import TM700 clips without problem. But when it comes to rendering to an actual movie (or 'Save As'), none of the output outputs (except Windows Media Video) can output in the original 1080p60 format. Either I have to settle for 1920x1080i, or 1280x720p60. There is a userhack for Premiere Elements 8, that adds 1080p60 editing profiles, and added an...
To be honest, you'll need to figure out which one handles best for you, by trying it out in person. With less than a week left to go, that doesn't give you much time to learn and get comfortable with your selection... especially since prosumer camcorders have more manual-controls than consumer models (and hence, have a steeper learning curve.)
The focus jitter (hunting back and forth) is noticeable on my unit. For me, it's most noticeable when the camcorder is mounted on a tripod (most likely because my lousy handholding adds too much swaying motion to notice the minute focus-hunting.) I can live with it, but I hope it's fixed in future models. My previous Canon HG20 had much more stable autofocus. On the other hand, the HG20 also had much much worse chromatic aberration (especially at the tele-end of the...
Incidentally, the TM700's IR-remote is the only way to completely disable the on-screen-display (OSD). I'm surprised the unit itself doesn't have a dedicated button to toggle the OSD.
In my hours of using the HG20, I found it's image-stabilization acceptable at the wide-end, though it still exhibited the shakiness evident in this HM1 vimeo-clip. At 12x zoom, the IS simply wasn't effective enough. (I got around that by trying to brace the camcorder against an object, or putting it on a tripod.) The vimeo-clip didn't give a description of the HM1's settings. Was IS on or off? Was the footage shot mostly with the lens at the wide-end, or at the wide...