or Connect

Posts by pdennant

The requirement is that all DTV stations operate at fully licensed power by July 1st, 2005, or, possibly, forfeit their right to do so if another station on the same or adjacent channel decides to increase their power. Basically, it is a use it or (possibly) lose it situation. The primary beneficiaries of the power increase will be those viewers farthest from the transmitter sites in Driver. There is a potential drawback that will effect some: When the power density of...
I'm not taking either side of this but, the agreement each station signs with VDOT annually calls for the VDOT logo to be displayed at some time during the airing of those roadway cameras. We are digressing from the topic of the thread again. None of the station engineers have the power to change the way the stations we work for are promoted. There IS a place for this type of discussion...it's just not here. Thanx.
Ground clutter is the energy from the radar antennas side lobes that is reflected back to the antenna/receiver. Most of the weather radars have algorithms that remove this clutter from the display even though the energy is always present. Of course, some radars are better than others (ahem). The NWS' NEXRAD radars are much more powerful and use a lower frequency than those licensed to television stations and other, private licensees. Sometimes when they are looking for...
Byron: I will state for the record, that WVEC is not originating local newscasts in any format that can be considered high definition. I am not aware that we are promoting it as HD. It could be one of those semantic challenged promos we run. If you will PM me on the verbiage and/or description of the language you find offensive, I will take it up with the other managers.
Critical mass is coming...
John: Remember that ESPN and Fox are also johnny-come-latelys to the HD world. While ABC, CBS, NBC and their affiliates were moving to HD with first generation equipment, ESPN and Fox were in a wait and see mode. They had the advantage of designing their plants around much newer technologies. With no ROI from the DTV side of the house, not many companies will make the expenditure to replace the first generation equipment right now. I would agree with you that the world...
No. In fact that is one of the reasons that deision was made. Back then, most of the monitors had a native display of 1080 x 1920 (interlace). There also wasn't much 720p broadcast equipment available then. Belo made a decision that the conversion could be made more effectively - better PQ - at their stations employing a high grade "side converter."Probably not. All these large events are produced by trucks operated by independent companies. With Fox and ABC being...
[Les...I'm always happy when you jump in] Todd: From our position at the end of the distribution chain, we have no way of knowing. Think about the entire chain and you'll start to understand that there can be bandwidth constrictions anywhere between the camera and your set. Everything downstream of the encoder in the camera is in the digital domain. Because the baseband bitsream for 1080i is 1.5 GB/s (similar bitrate applies for 720P), compression has to be employed...
An interesting experiment...I had 13-2 shut down for the game tonight (full bandwidth Vincent!). But the game looks a bit hairy when compared to last night's game. I guess there must be bandwidth constrictions further up the chain.
ABC Network Operations (NYC) informs me that this is not regular MNF and tonights game is only DD2.0. WVEC's audio switching is fairly rudimentary: Even though we are passing the DD2.0 to the audio encoder, it is still encoding for DD5.1.