or Connect

Posts by BigAl

I had that same impression out of the box. I'm so used to TV's coming out of the box set to "vivid"... this one most definitely was not. I started with some suggestions in this thread and from there it took me about two weeks to figure out the settings and get a picture that I think would go up against just about anything out there.
The panel always runs at a fixed refresh rate of 120hz, for all video signals. For a 24p signal each frame is displayed 5 times. On 60i or 30p signals the frames are displayed 4 times (it's frame doubled, then frame doubled again). On 60p signals the frames are displayed 2 times. The higher refresh rate helps to reduce motion blur caused by pixel lag.Cinemotion can be used for any of these to create interpolated frames instead of just re-displaying the same frame...
60i is converted to 30p by the deinterlacer (it takes 2 fields, one with the odd lines, one with the even lines, combined together to create one frame), then the displays/refreshes the frame 4 times as the panel is always running at a 120hz refresh rate. And if you refer to the link I posted ealier to the displaymate website they have a good rundown of why 120hz technology, in theory, should help reduce motion blur on lcd panels and why a 120hz panel should handle motion...
I agree on both counts. I don't see any reason to step up to 240hz. If I remember correctly 240hz becomes more important on 3D sets... but I'm not willing to pay extra for 3D, especially if I've got to wear glasses to take advantage of it.
That's correct... which is the other benefit of 120hz that Beeper correctly identified. 24 frames divides evenly into 120hz by a factor of 5 so film based content can be displayed smoothly (this is true if it's native 24p or if it's 3:2 telecined content that is converted from 29.97 back down to 24fps by the TV's cinemotion circuitry). Here's a good article on 120hz:http://www.displaymate.com/LCD_Respo...e_ShootOut.htm Again, they don't necessaily back the mfr's claim...
NTSC video is stored with a framerate of 29.97 frames per second (60 fields per second if it's interlaced... the deinterlacing circuitry converts these two fields into one frame... so the framerate is still essentially 30 fps). Each frame is displayed 4 times to fall within the 120hz framerate. It's not my theory. It's the theory a bunch of marketing guys and engineers came up with. Motionflo is yet another.
Sorry for the slow response... hadn't been back to the thread in a while. The 120hz framerate is intended to help with motion lag as well as to even out judder caused by the 3:2 telecine process. You are correct, they do display the same frame multiple times, and it is the identical frame as you point out... but, the intent is to hit the pixels multiple times with the same content to force it to snap to the actual frame content and reduce pixel lag. How much this helps is...
Keep in mind that 120hz and motionflo are two different things. The EX500 always displays video at 120hz (the EX400 displays it at 60hz). I don't know any way of turning this feature off... and I can't think of a reason why you'd want to turn this off. It displays each frame multiple times in an effort to eliminate motion blur caused by pixels not responding fast enough to motion. I don't know of a good way to do an A-B comparison of this short of setting up a 60hz TV...
I don't remember what I landed on for the noise reduction setting. For sharpness I just start w the factory setting and reduce it until noticeable ringing artifacts were gone. I leave cinemotion set to the first setting (which if I understand correctly attempts to eliminate telecine judder by doing 3:2 pulldown but does not use frame interpolation to do so). Motionflo off.
I run my TV at 5-6 backlight w brightness set to 55 (ambient sensor and advanced contrast enhancer off... both seem to drop brightness almost randomly for me). I've played w the settings to get an accurate picture... running backlight of 2 and brightness set to around 50 or just below gave me the darkest black levels but it sacrificed too much brightness and pop for daytime viewing for me. For color I set the color temp to warm 1 and bumped the color up to 55... the 55...