or Connect

Posts by AndyM

Robert Harris' A few words about... and this guy restores films for a living. work that one out.
i would say all of it is. significantly. it was like watching the film for the first time. the [vista] dvd was trash; released back when disney were releasing the worst looking dvds onto the market [from a major studio] i really want to emphasize how good the PQ is during the last 1 hour 40 mins of the film. i would grade it 4.5. the first 20 mins isn't a train wreck, just not quite up to the same quality. i'd grade it 3 (maybe a 3.5 at a push). and that strange 5...
i think it's a safe bet. uk disc is distributed by buena vista home entertainment. that's part of the disney brand. US disc is distributed by disney as well, right ? chances of the same studio release 2 different transfers is pretty unlikely. besides, i'm seeing the same problems as the US disc.
seems like. can't think why though. the last 2 hours looks like it was mastered for blu-ray. it's got that kind of quality to it. so why would they use an old master for the first 30 minutes ? makes no sense. but then again, these are movie studios, so ... well, you know ...
just looked at the UK disc (which should be the same as the US one). my take on it is that this is one very strange blu-ray. the first 20 minutes are so so. no dnr, lots of grain (good), pretty good detail but an application of sharpening takes things down a notch. then for the next 5 or so minutes, things get really bad. copious amounts of ringing - courtesy of some rather egregious sharpening. hats off to the technical who was responsible for this. nice work. .... not...
2 catalog titles in 2 months ? the flood gates have officially opened.
yeah, that first screen shot pretty much says it all. yuk !!!!
just watched the first 15 minutes of the UK version, and i've got to agree. it looks bloody awful. it has that nasty over processed video look to it. zero fine detail in backgrounds, blown out contrast in places, what looked like some haloing to add to the mix. and not forgetting that video frame rate thing so it looks even less like film. i felt like i was watching a bad quality catalog title of a very low budget student film. which would be fine for a very low budget...
nope, projector's all good. i can see the ringing on a PC 24 inch display as well. as a reference point, i have MANY other BLUs were the ringing is very absent. so i can't see how it can be a display/player issue. i'll go out on a limb and say it's definitely on the disc.
don't worry. it's not that bad. MUCH MUCH better than that atrocity (big thanks to whoever green lighted that). a lot of it looks pretty good. it's just the ringing that bothered me. usually this amplitude of ringing appears in older transfers, but to be fair this transfer for the most part looks like it was taken more recently than 2000. but i just don't understand why the ringing is there. can't they [the studios] do anything right ? is it that hard to create an HD...