or Connect

Posts by bdenman

Suggest you go in with your manual after purchase and ask for a 8300HD DVR. They stock two HD DVRs, the 8000 and 8300 (and you cannot call in advance to see what is on the shelf). Greystone seems to be best bet (main warehouse there I think). Other locations seem to be more hit and miss. Hopefully they will hae a 8300 model in stock. If you get an 8000HD you have to connect it via component video (YPrPb). Not necessarily bad. Regardless it will be fine for get started...
When it comes to the DVRs, the 8300HD model is a more recent design. Some say its Picture Quality is a tad better than the 8000 and the GUI is slightly faster. It also has HDMI whereas the 8000 does not (non-active DVI), active analog ports, and the setup options are improved. Your call whether the hassle of trading boxes is worth it. Viewing preferences: I usually watch 4:3 programming with gray sidebars vice black (and not stretched) so I usually will switch to the...
Welcome to our little niche here at AVS. First, a question: are you in the Columbia market and if so where? (your profile does not give a location). So we are clear, what channels were you watching via TWC? (an 8xx number)? As it appears you have have noticed, not all programming is in HD; not even in Prime Time. Network programming on a HD channel that is actually produced in 4:3 (like CBS's Survivor tonight), will indeed have side bars. HD programming is 16x9 so no...
Yeah. Been there done that. I still have a Betamax in the closet And my Mits has only component video so I will be watching the rollout of HD-DVD/Blu-ray disks from the sidelines (assuming they actually make it out of the starting gate). _____ Bruce
Backdoor? Intentional? Maybe but I doubt it. I would guess it is just a happenstance. Here is how I see it: TWC tries to make everybody happy by adding more channels to satisfy broadcasters and the HD crowd and eventually runs out of room (bandwidth). One way to make room is to delete analog channels. But taking away analog channels tends to really piss-off viewers and contractually may not be possible in the near term. Taking everything digital in theory might work...
Hello stranger! Diana talked about this recently, see post #5639 at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post7021219 It appears that (one-way) Cable cards have not panned out well in the real world. But for a kitchen tv; hmmm; might be worth trying one out (take it your TV does not have an ATSC tuner with QAM capabilities). _____ Bruce ps: PM sent
HDMI should work for all; but I do not have HDMI so cannot guarantee it. Would not hurt to also connect the cable box up to your TV via another video input (say S-Video and/or the component video (YPrPb) and another digital audio connection too ((or analog audio)) as a backup (I like redundancies). It will also allow you to check out PQ on other inputs as well. Analog channels are those numbered below 99; digital channels are 100 and up. Analog channels can be received...
If you mean the signal levels, to check them on the 8300HD DVR see post #5620 (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post7004533) The other HD boxes have a different procedure so post question again if for different convertor.
PQ = Picture Quality No HDMI cable from TWC. But the cable boxes from TWCSC do come with an analog set of component (YPrPb) cables... a standard three-wire set with RCA plugs that are color coded Red, Green and Blue. As far as I know, most if not all HD sets have that as an alternate input for HD. And the analog cables WILL work pretty darn good for you while you are waiting to purchase a HDMI cable from somewhere. (I would probably check out the cable store over on...
More detail from a layman: A standard TV 6mHz channel (same for analog or digital) has a digital bandwidh of about 19.34 mB/s of information. Digital TV uses MPEG-2 to compress the picture information to the consumer and it is lossy; throw away bits and you lose picture information that cannot be recaptured or replicated. Generally, when 1080i (used by NBC, CBS and PBS/SCETV) gets down below 16mB/s for sports, it starts to have major problems with pixelization (WIS...