or Connect

Posts by bdenman

First the latest I have heard from Hap Griffin: "As you say, there are still unknown variables in the equation. I'm sure we'll be doing further tests. Part of what I really wanted was somefeedback as to how the various receivers handled the mode changes...in particular those watching via cable. I don't have TW cable here at the center (they don't have drops in this area) so I have to rely on external feedback to tell me how they are handling things." --- So if...
Again, from Hap Griffin: "OK the test session is complete. We had a problem during the first mode from 7:00 to 7:10 because of a loss of the PBS satellite signal during a frog choking downpour, but otherwise things went as planned. Please give me your comments if you were able to participate." --- Bruce
Provided as a courtesy to Hap Griffin, SCETV. "OK, here is the scoop. On Thursday night at 7:00 PM straight up, we'll reconfigure our HD encoder to one of four test modes. I won't give away the modes here because I want those of you who can participate to give me objective feedback on the picture quality. We will be testing 1080i and 720p at two different bandwidths. If your receiver has the ability to show you the scan mode, please don't let that sway your rating...
Starting this past Tuesday WRLK-DT changed their broadcast methodogy to 1HD and two SD services at the same time. WRLK Eng says they are now using a new encoder that does this; before it was either 1HD or 2SD. This change allows them to meet the upcoming FCC rule on broadcasting digital and provides a mechanism for them to add services required by their state mandate. The second service will be used largely for "PBS You" programming until a South Carolina Channel goes...
I would prefer to see a good basic and affordable ATSC receiver. There are thousands of viewers out here now with HD displays who don't use a dbs provider and just want a digital tuner. If that means some special features like DirecTV are left off this box then fine; there are many other boxes out there now that can do that and there will no doubt be more to follow. Pure OTA STB choices however are far too limited and the Samsung is still not totally acceptable to all...
By definition HDTV is widescreen. If you watch HD programming on a 4:3 set you will have large letterbox bars. Some programmers like HBO have some 4:3 programming over their HD channel (Six Feet Under is one). Resolution wise it is good SD and with a 4:3 set you you will have bars on all four sides unless your set can zoom in. Widecreen owners have a 4:3 picture with black windowbox bars on the sides. (Not common but I think there is at least one STB out there that...
Mr Crowley does not indicate which TWC is the one he uses but what I have heard here and experienced with my TWC is that there are differences in the implementation between different TW systems. Servers may run different brands/versions of software and the boxes themselves may have slight differences in their OS as well. Some systems just seem to do better a better job than others. Some boxes also seem to have problems. Hopefully in time it will all even out. Using...
Throw viewing distance into the equation if you want to really enjoy the visual impact that HD can offer. If you want to watch HD from 4-5ft away consider buying a directview. If you want to watch HD from say 8ft away or further consider a RPTV. Some of course go even further and build something more akin to a home theater and use Front Projector systems.
Quote: Originally posted by mphinne2 Wow , your time warner charges for the HD cable boxes??? There is no extra charge in Maine for this service. Here we pay ~$5 for a cable box.... makes no difference whether its a standard one (like a SA2100) or a HD one (SA2000HD or SA3100HD). To get the HD channels, you have to be a subscriber to the Ditigal Tier which I believe costs about $10/mo more and gives you a number of additional channels. If you...
Jamie, Good luck. In reference to dkan24's comment, I see there is a set of component inputs marked as DVD YPrPb which tells me it is for 480. If it will handle 480p it might well handle the scanning frequence of 1080i which is the same freq used by 540p. Close enough? I don't know. Did your TWC installer try that input? I would hope your set would display 1080i correctly in the vertical plane. It appears the only HDTV input is the one marked (S)VGA2. Hopefully...