or Connect

Posts by Pete Putman

I have used Maxell S-VHS tapes on both the JVC and older Panasonic D-CHS decks. The ST-62BQ yields 62 minutes of standard speed recording, while the ST-126BQ will give you 126 minutes (just over two hours.) For even longer programs, the ST-182BQ is appropriate and can handle just over three hours. You may need to 'trick' the JVC deck into knowing you want D-VHS recording on these tape stocks. PP
I have used Maxell S-VHS tapes on both the JVC and older Panasonic D-CHS decks. The ST-62BQ yields 62 minutes of standard speed recording, while the ST-126BQ will give you 126 minutes (just over two hours.) For even longer programs, the ST-182BQ is appropriate and can handle just over three hours. You may need to 'trick' the JVC deck into knowing you want D-VHS recording on these tape stocks. PP
Haven't been on here in a while, and I am not sure if anyone raised this question. So, here goes. I recently tested the two Mitsubishi D-VHS decks (HS-HD1100U and HS-HD2000U) with Samsung's SIRT-165 set-top box for 1394 recording. Both are quickly recognized and run reliably with the T165. In fact, I had both connected at the same time and could select one or the other from the T165 menu. Unlike the Panasonic D-VHS decks, I was unable to dub from one machine to...
Quote: Originally posted by John Mason Appreciate the marvelously clear explanation, spwace. All the Mbps talk makes sense now. Haven't yet picked my jaw up from trbarry's Fox-signal dissection and foxeng's analysis. Wish the technical folks here in NYC would follow your station's plan and upconvert to 1080i with professional gear. It appears that my cable converter does the conversion to 1080i here (all SA3100HD component out is 1080i); not a very good job....
At least one Terk antenna gives a good accounting of itself on the test range. The TV35 is not a bad solution for suburban VHF/UHF reception. However, it looks very much like a traditional log-periodic VHF/UHF antenna. I believe it is made in Denmark for Terk. The TV55 is basically a dipole antenna with limited gain. It works better on low VHF stations than anywhere else. It can also work with UHF reception in some instances, but is not a multipath-friendly...
Quote: Originally posted by ricka Has anyone else noticed that this thing only records the subchannel you specify? That means that it will record FOX 480p stuff in STD mode instead of HS mode. Cool. --Rick Yes, a nice piece of engineering from Samsung that lets you record specific minor channels. The older Panasonic PV-HD1000 and its compatible tuners recorded all of the data on a given bitstream and you had to use the STB's channel up/down...
"Tuning in" DTV channels means something quite different than tuning in analog channels. DTV stations send out Virtual Channel Table (VCT) information as packets. The virtual channel is whatever the DTV station wants it to be. Since DTV stations are currently on different channels than their analog counterparts, the virtual channel is usually the same as the analog channel. Example: WCAU in Philadephia transmits on analog channel 10, but sends its digital signal out...
I have posted a bunch of articles on antennas, DTV STBs, indoor reception, outdoor reception, and preamps on my web site. You may find this useful and if others are getting started, have them check it out. Everything in these articles is based on hands-on testing in the field with actual equipment. It's not "theory" but "practice". 73, Pete Putman KT2B
I wouldn't expect to see this module (for that's what it is, a module only) in any production pieces until maybe late 2003 and more likely 2004. Right now, it appears that LG Philips and Samsung are engaged in a "mine's bigger than yours" battle which is generating plenty of good PR for both companies and drawing lots of interest from analysts. But there are serious questions about cost of materials and fabrication, not to mention yields, that have to be answered....
I have been running a T165 for several weeks now. Here are a few observations in response to the comments here. First of all, the signal strength meter on any Samsung tuner doesn't correlate to other tuners. With a signal of >56 dB C/N on my spectrum analyzer (about -42 dBm), I still get a half-scale reading. A Zenith HDV420 connected to the same antenna reads nearly full-scale. So don't interpret the T165's meter readings as indicative of poor receiver...