or Connect

Posts by petew

You can do a widescreen setup with many projectors without having to get a lens. They have memories on the zoom and shift lens settings - just zoom out for widescreen and let the black bars spill off the top and bottom of the screen. Epson, JVC, Panasonic and probably others do it. You'll need to black out the screen wall to absorb the left over light though. Works great!
Evap coolers need a lot of air flow to be comfortable, otherwise you get way too much humidity in the room. I've got evap in my garage and my adjacent theater gets muggy just from vapor transmission through the drywall. Between the humidity and heat load my 1.5 ton mini split in the theater can't keep up unless I run it almost full time during the summer. I doubt that a window unit would have enough capacity. I'm looking at replacing my mini split with a ducted unit...
Setting up an Atmos system has got to be far more complex than what we're used to currently. Distance and level is easy to measure and correct for in our current 5.1 and 7.1 systems. The Atmos processor needs to know where those speakers are located in space to steer sounds to the correct channels and image sounds between the physical speakers. How will the installation and calibration be accomplished in the real world? I could see bundling a laser device, measuring...
I'm running four sealed 15's. My response is amazingly flat, considering no EQ and minimal treatments. It took a bit of work to get them positioned for best response but it was time well spent. I intend to EQ to overcome the natural rolloff at the bottom that you get with a sealed sub. I'd highly recommend multiple subs located for best in room response. I've read that four is about optimum in most cases. Mine are DIY and running off a multichannel amp a friend gave...
This white paper is worth a careful read. http://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles/Assets/US/Doc/Professional/Dolby-Atmos-Next-Generation-Audio-for-Cinema.pdf I can see a configuration in my theater adding two additional screen channels, two side surrounds, two front surrounds, and four height channels. With my DIY speaker tendencies, the cost would be manageable. Ten channels of amplification is not a budget killer either.
I don't have any first hand experience with Emotiva. I started following the XMC-1 preamp debacle for sport a couple of years ago. Their philosophy seems to be somewhat similar to Rotel - "build good sounding stuff for cheap in china". They don't have the dealer network overhead that Rotel does, therefore quite a bit less expensive. I've had stupid problems with my Rotel power amps too - I know where you're coming from on the reliability front. The weak link on mine...
Have you considered Emotiva? $2,300 will get you 400x5. $1,000 buys 200x5
Do the voicecoils rub? You could replace the foam surrounds if the coil and spider is in good shape. Refoam kits are about ten bucks.
Walk in the front door. Ask if Dan, Lonnie, Keith or anyone else is in. You could probably get a quick tour.
Some country recordings have amazing SQ. But don't make me listen to that whiney assed $#!+.