or Connect

Posts by schlitzie

Dirac Update -- Not so good at this point. I have concluded that Dirac 2 can't get here soon enough cause Dirac 1 is just one clunky piece of software After messing with it for 4+ hours yesterday it crashed just as I was exporting the data. So I gave up for the day and hit it again this AM for several more hours This time everything ran fairly smoothly, except subwoofer #2 which I cannot get reasonable levels on through adjustments on the RS20, so I have to use the...
OK, crisis averted! I had to re-start everything in the chain, and wham, Dirac saw the RS20... I was just paranoid because in my experience the software is sooo sensitive - so everything is currently running in the theater. I guess if I do this another half a dozen times the learning curve will be less painful!
Arrgh. I hit the Dirac wall... My software is for my AP20, so Dirac is looking for that, not an RS20... I tried to rename it, but no luck, so until I get this straightened out I am stuck. On top of that, I am having trouble getting the VU meters to register other subs (3 total) beyond the main channel 4 one... The subs fire, but nothing shows up on the screen - is that normal? I don't recall it being that way with the AP20. The good news is that I am running the old...
Good timing as I am in the midst of running Dirac on the new RS20i. My primary observation at this point is a complete reinforcement of how much I really dislike having to work with PC's (XP). Could microsoft make it any less intuitive? Over an hour later and I haven't gotten to dirac yet as I have to go through the typical acrobatics to get the damn computer to run the software. Hopefully I'll be able to use Carl's SW tip today...
Unfortunately many of us do not have dealers that are nearby -- Dave probably has the only Datasat box in all of Japan, Stephen has one of the rare ones in Australia, and I might as well be with them since there are no dealers in the surrounding US States... And figuring out how to get these things to work is part of the "fun", though sometimes I could use a little less "fun"...
Yeah I know... But its vaporware and mythical until it shows up on my doorstep! I've bought the dream from too many manufacturers too many times now!
Thanks! Much appreciation to the folks at Datasat for getting one out to me sooner than originally thought - they have been really good to work with. A little too early to tell performance differences, but my immediate impression is I can see the RS20 case is quite a bit nicer than the AP20 case. Thicker metal with a nicer finish, and the screen seems a bit nicer with the different color scheme. I am also definitely getting a placebo effect, as my brain is telling me...
And, UPS came through and delivered my RS20i 4 days early! I was able to hook the unit up and had it running and configured within 15 minutes -- Kudos to Carl Huff for the tip on how to clone the settings from the previous AP20 including the Dirac settings and port them over to the new box -- huge time saver! My family is actually talking to me again now that the theater is up and running again. No, they're not too spoiled.
Dave -- I had the same symptoms when I had the wrong ASIO driver for my USBPre V.1 -- Be sure to use the Ploytec driver as nothing else will work. Also, according to Datasat tech support, the USBPre I needs a 32 bit computer, while the USBPre II requires a 64 bit computer... Lots of little things to remember!
Well, it is a computer... That said, I lived with an AP20 for over a year and never felt its "noise" was the least bit noticeable in the real world.BTW, my long-awaited RS20i will be here this coming Thursday - have to admit I am giddy with anticipation!