or Connect

Posts by rttrek

Actually, when I got home it had reset itself to the correct time and has been fine since. As for why 1970, it wouldn't surprise me if the innards of this set are running Linux. UNIX and Linux maintain time in seconds since midnight of 1/1/1970. Thus, something clearing the time to 0 would have that effect. If a local station had their clock at zero when they last booted their timekeeping hardware, and it was running Linux or UNIX, then its clock would have started...
I just bought an F38310 (JX4). I don't have an elliptical DirecTV dish yet, so I set it up for OTA and with my DirecTiVo on SVID1. I had it scan the antenna channels, and it used a digital station to set its clock... to January 1980!!! Or so it appeared. It won't let you reset it either. I rescanned the antenna, and it set the clock correctly, but moments later it went black for a moment (which may have been unrelated since I was playing with channel guides and...
Quote: Originally posted by Den Correct on all counts. Actually, in the US, EDTV came and went twice. Proscan did a widescreen progressive set back in the early '90s - now you know how they came up with the name "Proscan". That was to be the beginning of it all. The shame is, with today's better scaler chips and ongoing refinements in CRT manufacturing, set makers can now build a 480p-only set which handily outperforms today's HD-ready sets when playing...
I have added my locale to my member description. I am in the Los Angeles region, and don't have any HD gear, so as I understand things I only need the primary location (101?) sats. I may want to add the local channels after 1/1/2002 (when UPN is added), but I *think* the LA locals are also at 101. It appears that the respondents may not have fully understood my question. What I did not make clear is that I have an RCA receiver and a dual-tuner DirecTiVo (3 inputs...
I already have an older single-LNB dish, and just bought a DirecTiVo box with a dual-LNB dish. I plan to use both boxes. Is there any reason to buy a multiswitch and just use the new dish (other than the appearance of two dishes on my roof)? Using both dishes would seem to be cheaper, and would give me a little redundancy in an uncertain world. :)