or Connect

Posts by splinke

A PDF of the Operating Instructions is available on the Sony web site HERE. Detailed instructions and pictures describing lamp replacement are contained on pages 51-54. As ChuckF. pointed out, though, the green tint is not a lamp issue--it is due to degraded parts in the optical block. The extended warranty on the optical block arising from a class action lawsuit settlement has long expired. Sony was offering discounts off newer direct-view LCD TVs for owners in exchange...
The KDL50R550A has been on sale at Fry's for $799. You are saving $24 off that sale price. If Fry's can still make a sufficient profit to sell them at $799, then, as the manufacturer, I presume Sony is doing even better than that. It may be time to find a more reputable brand. Sony is no longer the bastion of quality and customer service they were in the 1980s and 1990s. The vast majority of their TVs are now manufactured (and even designed) by third party out-sourcers in...
The failure mode of the lamp (wearing out slowly vs. exploding) has no effect on the optical block failure. The optical blocks were inherently defective in that the polarization filters and liquid crystal panels could not handle the high levels of heat they were expected to absorb by blocking energy from the lamp. Yes, a lot of people got pricey lemons. Sony outsources much of their design and almost all of their manufacturing to third parties in China and Taiwan, just...
Awesome! Of course, now that you have recently changed your lamp, your screen may start turning green or blue due to optical block degradation, but that should be more gradual than the sudden red screen. Hopefully, that won't happen any time soon!
If you're TV is in an unusable state, and you cannot get an expert to look at it, you might just want to try the "restore to factory default" approach. Locate the setting that you think you might have erroneously changed. Carefully note the existing settings names and value(s) on the page, so that you can return them, if necessary. Then, try pressing the [8] button to see whether the value changes. If it does, then perhaps you had changed it previously. You might also...
Sony authorized service centers
With both yellow discolorations and loss of blue, it sounds like both your blue channel LCD panel and blue channel polarizing filter are bad. Perhaps as more of these are dying, TSM has more in stock. It looks like they have the rebuilt optical blocks in stock, so you would not even have to send yours to them for rebuilding. See my web site in my signature below for details on the problem.
It appears that both of you were using the lamp timer reset procedure for the wrong Sony TV models (WE, WF655, XS955, and A20). You should have used the procedure for the XBR1. I have a page on my Sony LCD Rear Projection TV Problems web site that describes the different service menu procedures. It also contains warnings about the possibility of messing up your TV.When you did the key presses in the service menu that were designed for the other models, you were at a...
Click on the link in my signature, and then click on the Optical Block Removal/Rebuilding link for additional information. jjb220 is John Breton. His information is listed there. You can try the parts from TriState Module. The speckling without clouding suggests that your LCD panel is bad. LCD panel failures can also lead to clouding, but certain types of clouding can also be caused by failure of the filter just before to the LCD panel in the blue light channel. Both the...
Did you buy a full optical block, or did you try to change just the bad blue LCD panel? If you bought the full optical block, where did you get it? It sounds like they did not properly adjust the physical locations of the LCD panels to achieve proper convergence. That can be a bit tricky. I doubt you would be able to adjust anything in the service menu. Unfortunately, what needs to be done is loosen the screws holding the LCD panels on the block, and then move it around a...