or Connect

Posts by yubyub

I actually spoke to Patrick @ Lumagen about this. He gave some very sane advice: - Biggest difference will be from the mpeg decoders. He couldn't say which had the better decoder - I'm not sure myself, but I know both decoders are very highly revered. - Next difference will be in the deinterlacer. Faroudja vs. Sil won't make a huge difference for film mode (most will tell you the Sil is better at film mode, but the Fli chip has the advantage of being closer to the...
Just curious - I'm playing a lot of catchup here (been off the forum for quite a while), and noticed the Oppo seems to be getting high marks. Of course, using the Oppo with the Lumagen (via DVI at 480p) means at least the deinterlacing is happening in the Oppo - so I was wondering if people have done this, and what impressions you might have... My other option is to SDI mod my Denon 1600, then buy the SDI card for the Lumagen - but that's a heck of a lot more...
What happened to Immersive? Sorry, been out of the HT loop for a while...
Sorry, been out of it for a while. Quite a while. Who's Moome, and where might one investigate his SDI cards?
My money would go toward the HDP, since it will work with today's players AND tomorrow's players. In fact, I just put my money where my mouth is - my HDP will show up in a few days. I might add that I have a similar setup - a 1600, going component into my scaler (soon to be an HDP)... I was considering the same thing - getting it SDI mod'ed - but would rather put the $$$ into the HDP at this point. Sometime in the next few months, the pj will be replaced, and the...
Agreed - I reached the same conclusion yesterday, so I punted on the monitor and just ordered the Lumagen. I did find that this monitor: http://www.gateway.com/home/products...fpd2185w.shtml apparently will do HDCP on all PC resolutions over DVI-D, although I've not been able to confirm that (the info was from postings on another forum - not from a manual or from Gateway itself...). Thanks all,
The setup is a quite old NEC vt540k, which is XGA, along with a [now] dead NRS. At some point, I will be upgrading (probably when the bulb snuffs it) - which is why I'd like the LCD monitor to support a bunch of reasonable resolutions (i.e. I can tap the output to the projector, or utilize a second output from the scaler. Both would require the LCD panel to run at the same resolution as the projector). I'd like to, when I upgrade my pj, move to an all digital...
I'm wondering if I will have to drop the HDCP requirement... Does anybody else do this right now?
I'm looking for a decent wide screen LCD to use as a "preview" monitor (i.e. for viewing the scaler's signal when my projector is off). I have 2 questions for the scaler forum: a) what do other people use? Does anybody else do this? b) Does anyone have any good recommendations? I've found it difficult to find units which have both good support for PC resolutions (XGA, 1368x768, etc...), HD resolutions (1280x720 - I don't need 1080i), and have HDCP as...
Hmmm... interresting. Although he's sure it's not a well known brand (i.e. Panny, Philips, Sony, etc...). Thanks, though!