or Connect

Posts by captain_video

This is the app I use on my HTPC and it seems to work pretty well. http://www.download3k.com/Install-Atomic-Clock-Sync.html I run it manually every few weeks and it keeps everything synched up and accurate.
It only records what you tell it to record. If the shows weren't recorded, you didn't set it correctly. Either that or there was a glitch in the guide data, but since you're just doing individual recordings, it's a settings issue.
I'm not sure if you can actually recover any data from a SSD like you can with a standard rotating disc. If it's an SSD, you can probably get away with doing a fresh install following a reformat (Windows does this automatically as part of the OS installation). If it's a standard hard drive, I'd wipe the drive and perform several low level formats to ensure complete erasure of any existing data.
My primary HTPC uses a full-sized Silverstone case that's about the size of most high end AV receivers. It's located in my finished basement with the rest of my home theater equipment. For the TV in the family room and spare bedroom I use Intel NUCs. They're about as unobtrusive as you can get. If you don't like them sitting on a shelf they have a VESA mount and can be attached to the back of the TV out of sight. The only thing that needs to be visible is the IR...
I used to use Tivos as my DVRs and migrated to the Ceton InfiniTV 4 and Windows 7 when the tuner was first introduced. I used both DVR setups concurrently until I was satisfied that WMC was stable and reliable. I sold both my S3 Tivos and never looked back. I honestly can't recall any missed recordings that didn't happen due to something that was easily explained. The only issues I've had with guide data not downloading automatically is on the couple of occasions where...
I know they're all fees mandated by local and regional government laws,but they're still mostly ridiculous, even if the provider is required to include them. I'd personally like to see every provider standardize charges for specific items, such as cablecards, STBs, DVRs, etc. Program packages vary so there should be a little wiggle room there, but it should be based on what they have to pay for it and not what they wish to charge. There should be absolutely no extra...
Every provider nickel and dimes you to death with numerous nuisance charges like these: Taxes, Governmental Surcharges and Fees Verizon MD State Sales Tax $0.95 MD 911 Fee $1.00 Telecommunications Access of MD Fee $0.11 Verizon Wireless Taxes, Governmental Surcharges and Fees $4.67 Total Taxes, Governmental Surcharges and Fees $6.73 Verizon and Verizon Wireless Surcharges and Other Charges & Credits Verizon Video Franchise Fee $4.38 MD Gross Receipts Tax Surcharge...
Cable providers and credit card companies tend to get the lowest customer satisfaction ratings every year. A lot of it is just how the company is perceived. I get the hate for banks and credit card companies since they're just greedy bastards with a license to steal, but cable providers tend to be a bit of a mystery for me. I've had Comcast twice in the past, and while I can't say that they're in my top ten favorite companies, I can't say that I hate them either. I...
My company has upgraded over 80% of their PCs to Win 7. Mine is still running XP, but I'm slated to get a new PC in the very near future. Win 7 has been a nightmare for a lot of people. With security being extremely tight these days, a lot of the capabilities I have on my XP machine are going away with Win 7, which really sucks. If I had the option, I'd just disconnect my PC from the internet and keep running XP. I like Win 7 on my home PCs, but they way it's being...
This is definitely a question that should be posted over at the Tivo Community Forum.