or Connect

Posts by captain_video

Works fine with Windows 7. I've never tried it on Windows 8. Been using it for years on multiple PCs with zero problems. Perhaps they're messing with the default settings while trying to remove things that should have been left alone and that's what caused their problems. I just leave it at the defaults and run it.
Why not? It scans and removes extraneous crap that's left behind when visiting the internet and a multitude of other extraneous items. It doesn't affect anything functional in the PC. I use it regularly on all of my PCs to help keep them running smooth and it works great.
Do you have a Micro Center nearby? If so, you can save on a CPU/motherboard combo from them. You could probably go with a less expensive motherboard unless you need all of those slots for expansion. A nice ASRock micro-ATX board would do just fine for most setups. You could definitely save quite a bit by going with a less expensive power supply. One thing you left out is memory for the motherboard. Figure about $10 per gigabyte of DDR3 DIMMs. There are also lots of...
I've been corresponding with Quin from www.harmonyremoterepair.com via e-mail. The diagnosis appears to be a dead remote, probably from a static surge. I bought mine new many years ago and it has served me well. I think I only paid around $100 for it at the time, which was a pretty good deal for a new H1. The folks at the repair site I mentioned are commissioning replacement LCD panels for the H1 and should have them available in another couple of months. I believe...
I picked up my Harmony One out of the charging cradle yesterday and it was stone dead. No LCD display and no response from any of the buttons. I had another one with a bad LCD I bought on ebay a while back and it was already charged up so I swapped out the battery in case it was a charging problem, No dice, still dead. Fortunately, I had already downloaded my HTPC setup into the spare Harmony One and I could make out enough of the icons on the LCD display to let me...
Using a HTPC for web browsing may not be such a great idea. Do you have an antivirus program installed? If not, that may be part of your problem. Install one if you need to and run a complete scan. Microsoft Security Essentials is free and doesn't intrude on WMC. Avoid installing Kaspersky on a HTPC because it tends to interfere with normal HTPC operation (it's fine for desktop PC use but causes problems with WMC). You may also have a lot of temporary internet files...
A CPU or motherboard failure with any PC generally has the same impact so it's really not an issue. You can also buy a replacement motherboard/CPU combo as a standalone item instead of the entire PC including case and power supply.The best thing about using a NUC is the small form factor. It's a fraction of the size of a desktop or laptop and just as powerful, up to a point, but more than enough for HTPC use.An external powered USB hub tucked out of the way will provide...
If you're going to throw in a replacement PC it shouldn't make one bit of difference if you're using the ETH or PCIe version. You've still got to install the drivers and go through Media Center setup from scratch on the replacement PC. The only advantage to using the ETH vs. the PCIe with extenders is if you can't provide a coax cable input at the HTPC location or you're using a small form factor host HTPC that doesn't have room for an internal PCIe card. Other than...
Since you're using extenders I'd recommend going with the PCIe version. You're already using a lot of bandwidth with the extenders so using networked tuners to transfer the same signal to the main HTPC and then back out to the extenders esssentially doubles your bandwidth usage. Having the tuners internal to the host PC just transmits the video from the HTPC to the extenders and cuts down on your network traffic.
You'll need two separate cables, one for your digital cable TV and the other for the OTA antenna. Models with multiple tuners have internal splitters so you only need a single coax to each tuner card for cable or antenna. You'll also need two separate types of tuners - cablecard for digital cable (InfiniTV 4 or 6) and an ATSC tuner for OTA. The number of tuners depends on how many channels you'll envision recording simultaneously with a spare for watching live TV. If...