or Connect

Posts by captain_video

NUCs come with just the power supply and case. The motherboard includes the CPU and is already installed in the case. You need to install RAM and a hard drive. Some of the latest Haswell models can accommodate a 2.5" SSD instead of a mSATA drive and currently have drivers only for Windows 8/8.1, but Windows 7 drivers are supposed to be on the way if they're not already available. You can find pre-built units on ebay, but be prepared to pay through the nose for...
Just out of curiousity, why is Windows 8.1 a must? I think most HTPC users lean more towards Windows 7. FYI, the NUCs may be small, but there's more than enough room to install the RAM and mSATA drive. You don't have to be a surgeon to get things installed in the case.
What I find interesting is the baseline for HTPC performance seems to vary all over the place. The old rule of thumb used to be any dual core CPU running at a minimum of 2.0 GHz. Then came Atom-based systems running at 1.8 GHz or less followed by other SFF systems running as low as 1.2 GHz, but still capable of playing Blu-Rays. My NUCs run at only 1.8 GHz, but don't skip a beat when playing back any sort of media I throw at it. Boot times are probably more related to...
I feel like somebody just poked the bear. First, let me say that nobody is trying to tell anyone what or what not to buy. I think most people recommend what they feel is needed for the tasks at hand. For instance, if you do a lot of transcoding or other computational tasks on your HTPC or server then you'll need more horsepower to accomplish it. If you're just watching TV or Blu-Rays then you don't need anywhere near as much. The choice is ultimately left up to the...
I have to laugh because I tend to criticize Mfusick for being too anal about performance. After reading his last couple of posts it seems like we're actually a lot alike in our approach to HTPCs. I've been down the minimalist path that ended up in disappointment far too often. I've found that, although you may be able to eek out enough performance out of a minimalist setup for playing Blu-Rays and such, it may not always be a satisfying experience. My feeling is that...
For my HTPC I keep it pretty barebones. Most of the stuff Mfusick listed would reside on my main PC. The HTPC is used for watching media and nothing else. That being said, here's what goes into my HTPCs: Win 7 64-bit installed from a USB flash drive All of the latest drivers for the motherboard, LAN, GPU, CPU, etc., downloaded on my main PC ahead of time and loaded onto a flash drive Windows 7 updates Microsoft Security Essentials Drivers and utilities for tuners,...
AnyDVD HD
I rarely watch anything live unless it's in the family room and we have on Sprout or some other kids channel for the grandkids. I'll put on a Pixar movie or something similar to keep them entertained, but you can only watch Cars so many times. I couldn't wait more than a few days to watch what I record or else I'd never get caught up.
Phew. You had me worried there for a minute. I take it all back.
Here's a good place to start: http://www.silentpcreview.com/ FYI - 80mm fans tend to be loud as they have to spin faster to circulate the same amount of air as a larger fan.